Time Xpresso Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris1983

Hi Guys and Girls,

Does anyone here ride with Time Xpresso Pedals? i've been running with MTB SPD's on my road bike but i've just brought a pair of Shimano R107 road shoes and planned on getting new road pedals....everyone i have asked runs either SPD-SL or LOOK KEO's

But I've been looking at the Time Xpresso Pedals and was wondering if anyone has got these pedals? and if so what do you think?
What attracts me to the Time pedals is the apparent easy of engagement of the cleat with the IClip2 system. they also look good and they are a bit different and I like that.

any pros or cons to these over the more popular SPD-SL or KEO options? the only worrying thing that I have read is that bearings are prone to wearing out quickly and are not serviceable?

I'm looking at either the Xpresso 4 or 6 as these seem to be a sensible balance between price and features.

Many thanks

Chris

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I have been looking at some Time pedals so will watch this thread with interest.

e-rider

crappy member
TIME have been in the wilderness for quite some years now. All the things that made TIME pedals great in the 1980s and 1990s have now gone and been replaced with rubbish - they have also ignored many concerns over other serious issues such as the front of the pedals snapping off. As a result, TIME's market share must be very low these days.
Go with Shimano or LOOK IMO.
I personally love the Keo2 max Carbons

stumpy66

Veteran
I have a pair of xpresso 4 pedals, i previously had Look Keo,s but didnt like them and went for the xpressos. So much easier to engage, look great and are v light, thtas the good points, i have only used mine for 4 months over the summer and there is play in the bearings. If you read the reviews on Wiggle youll see this isnt an isolated incident. They are sealed units so you cant take the play out, im waiting on Wiggle getting back to me, but it has put me off getting another pair

OP
OP
C

Chris1983

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. It does seem that the bearings are the weak links with these pedals which is a real shame as almost every review rates them as a pedal until the bearings fail prematurely.

@stumpy66 what mileage did you put through the Xpresso 4's before they developed play in the bearings?

Also does anyone know if the Xpresso bearing unit is the same across the range?

Thanks,

Chris

stumpy66

Veteran
The play started pretty quick, but probably did about 2000miles on them, just sent them back today, hopefully for a refund.
Seems like all models are affected

OP
OP
C

Chris1983

Thanks for the update,

2000miles would be approximately 18 months riding for me.
but i guess this answers the question as to why everyone i ride with has either Shimano or LOOK and not tried the TIME pedals...such a shame as on paper they appear to be a great pedal...shame the bearing seem to be made out of paper.

I hope you get a refund from Wiggle for the pedals...

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Chris

OP
OP
C

Chris1983

I personally love the Keo2 max Carbons

this is what i opted for in the end, well the non carbon version as I couldn't justify the cost difference just for a few grams. I spoke to my LBS that stockTime, Shimano and Look and they also advised Shimano or Look over Time...so I opted for the Looks...no real reason I just liked the look of them...yes I am that fickle :rolleyes: (No pun)

fitted them today and went for a blast, very happy with them and my new shoes...so much better than my previous spd set up...took a few attempts to master clipping into the pedals but by the end of the ride I was getting the hang of it.

thanks for the help and advice :thumbsup:

e-rider

crappy member
this is what i opted for in the end, well the non carbon version as I couldn't justify the cost difference just for a few grams. I spoke to my LBS that stockTime, Shimano and Look and they also advised Shimano or Look over Time...so I opted for the Looks...no real reason I just liked the look of them...yes I am that fickle :rolleyes: (No pun)

fitted them today and went for a blast, very happy with them and my new shoes...so much better than my previous spd set up...took a few attempts to master clipping into the pedals but by the end of the ride I was getting the hang of it.

thanks for the help and advice :thumbsup:
if you look for a bargain online the carbons are typically only £10 more than the non-carbons. I got my keo2 max carbons for £72 which was a killer deal.
You have chosen a good pedal, and you can rest assured that even if something niggles you about them, they are still better than all other pedals!!!

mark william

used the time i click and they were useless it felt like that your pedal wasn't clipped in properly and i was getting through about a set of cleats a month. i have switched back to the time rxs racer and have been using them for about 3 years and found them really good.

Top Bottom