Timed my 3 mile ride today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
This is why disc brakes have become so popular on road bikes - it allows Strava junkies to brake sharply at the end of segments to make their times look better. That the discs scream like a banshee in the slightest presence of moisture also allows them to bellow out their presence as they pull up behind you at traffic lights.
That sounds cool, thanks for the recommendation, I gotta get me some screaming disks.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I wouldn't try and set any personal bests on a 3 mile ride. The first 5 - 10 miles should just be a warm up and then you can nail it after that if you choose.
Indeed , takes me 3 miles just to get the legs going .
On the flat once i got going maybe 8 minutes ?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That sounds cool, thanks for the recommendation, I gotta get me some screaming disks.
stock-illustration-33337434-backache.jpg

Sim2003

20 mins is great.Just enjoy the ride. Some days you will be fast without realizing it and other days you wont care and be quite happy just pondering a long.

leedsmick

I was out this dinnertime and got overtaken by a bloke on a road bike on a long stretch, i was tempted to try keep up but then realised i was biking for pleasure, his bike was faster than mine and soon i was turning off into the woods to get muddy so i just smiled and let him disappear out of sight

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Average speed can depend on your bike too - my average speed on my hybrid is nearly 4mph slower than when I'm on my road bike.

As has been said, enjoy yourself first.

Citius

When starting out go for distance not time

I would suggest the exact opposite, but I think I know what you meant. I would target rides of a certain duration, not rides of a certain distance. So target a 30 min ride, a 1hr ride, 2hr ride, etc. The actual distance covered during that time (as a beginner) is not important.

Pope

Regular
I would suggest the exact opposite, but I think I know what you meant. I would target rides of a certain duration, not rides of a certain distance. So target a 30 min ride, a 1hr ride, 2hr ride, etc. The actual distance covered during that time (as a beginner) is not important.

But how would a target a specific time for a ride you've never done before? You don't know how long it will take until you've actually done it.

Top Bottom