Timed my 3 mile ride today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would suggest the exact opposite, but I think I know what you meant. I would target rides of a certain duration, not rides of a certain distance. So target a 30 min ride, a 1hr ride, 2hr ride, etc. The actual distance covered during that time (as a beginner) is not important.
I guess it's just a different approach. My feeling is always extend the dustance, target places furtger away. Get more miles under your belt and your natural speed will come.

It's very rare to hear peopke on here say "I cycled for 3 hours yesterday" more likely to say " I cycled 50 miles yesterday"

Citius

That doesn't make it right though, unfortunately..

Sim2003

But how would a target a specific time for a ride you've never done before? You don't know how long it will take until you've actually done it.

You head out for 30mins , It will then roughly take the same time to return. Unless its all downhill then back up on yourself

leedsmick

As I'm getting more confident I'm plotting routes on strava as it gives you an idea of distance, seeing roughly how long they take and then trying them. I work on average 10 miles an hour so know 15 miles should take an hour and a half ish.

Simontm

Veteran
As others have said- distance first. Your speed will up naturally. If someone had said to me a year ago that I would be keeping up with other riders at around 28mph at Ride London, I would have given them such a hollow laugh- had chronic cramp at the end mind! :laugh: Actually if someone had said I would ride 100 miles a year ago...
Stick at it and enjoy

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I can do just over 5.5miles in 20mins :tongue: Im not exactly the fastest or the fittest rider there either but I can easily cruise around 16-18 Mph in the right conditions. Keep at it and you will improve!

Top Bottom