Times Change, Tastes Change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mpemburn

Aside from the health benefits, and the joy of plying the open road on a fast machine, I have always enjoyed cycling for its aesthetic pleasures. The primary source of this is the appreciation the natural world that comes from traveling through it outside of the cocoon of an automobile.

But the bicycle itself is art embodied in practicality. Form follows function, to be sure, but the designers of bicycles have considerable latitude in the quality of that form, and some rise above the norm to craft things of true beauty.

In my early days as a road cyclist, I was drawn to the artistry of handmade steel frames, and the jewel-like components inspired by Tulio Campagnolo, and manufactured by his company in Vicenza, Italy. My early racing bikes were Italian steel and, once I could afford it, the hand-crafted wonders created by Richard Sachs whose shop was in my native Connecticut, USA. The one pictured here is similar to the last of the two Richard Sachs frames I owned. Unfortunately, both were stolen years ago, so I can only show you what they were like. You can see more details here: https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f11/richard-sachs-bicycles-4270-23.html

There has been a sizable gap in time between my racing days and the present. After my second lovely Sachs was stolen, I bought a decent Cannondale mountain bike, though I mostly rode it on the streets of Baltimore. The Cannodale had been in storage for nearly a decade until about five years ago when I hauled out and cleaned it up. With the purple paint shining in the sun, I thought, “Wow, this is one beautiful machine!”—and this kicked off the current period of renewed love of life on two wheels.

Shortly after this epiphany, I joined a local bike club, and was gently encouraged to consider getting a real road bike. I resisted this for a while, but eventually found a nice old Trek Pilot 5.2 on eBay. With this, I rediscovered the exquisite pleasure of true road cycling.

I rode the Trek until recently but, due to circumstances that I don’t care to recount, needed to get a new frame. I must admit that my aesthetic sense played a not-insignificant role in my choice. The Carrera shown below is resulting device.

The point of this post is that the beauty of the bicycle has changed a great deal during the time I have been involved with them, and my appreciation of that beauty has changed with it. I still enjoy the look of the old bikes, but they seem somewhat odd when compared with the new aesthetic. Also, since I truly believe that “beauty is as beauty does”, the new bikes just work so much better than the old ones did. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion in these matters—and I don’t fear that you’ll be reticent to express it!
7C6A05AF-CF89-4BAD-A032-49B3DA2D11A9.jpeg
3D1E9AB3-49C5-4F8C-9508-A27988EA0E01.jpeg

Alex321

Veteran
Nice looking bike.

Here in the UK, Carrera don't have a particularly good name, because they are effectively Halfords own-brand (though better quality than Apollo, another own-brand of theirs).

But AIUI, in the rest of the world, they have a much better reputation. I'm not sure whether the Halfords ones are low-end ones only made for the UK market, or whether they are actually better than might be expected from them.

For me it's always a question of art vs engineering. Form vs function is probably what most see. Any bike is a mixture of necessary engineering and form which is less necessary. I always look to the engineering and specs with looks being a nice bonus if they come too.

I'm not bothered if it's not the latest style or looks pretty. Stealth black when I got my silver machine or later on with day glow detailing or features. That doesn't make a good bike only show pony. It's engineering that makes it. All good bikes have good engineering but not all show ponies have good engineering. However the expensive show ponies probably have it too. I can't afford that so I buy the best engineering I can afford whatever the looks.

PS a bike is a tool to me. I drive, I ride, I take the train. I don't think I'd like the train to look as good as the old trains of yesteryear I want them to be good, modern, engineering ones

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I don't think Carrera-by-Halfords has anything to do with the Italian brand, does it? I agree that it would put most serious riders off buying either, although IME the Halfords Carreras are well designed and specced (Apollos are landfill-in-waiting).

Alex321

Veteran
I don't think Carrera-by-Halfords has anything to do with the Italian brand, does it? I agree that it would put most serious riders off buying either, although IME the Halfords Carreras are well designed and specced (Apollos are landfill-in-waiting).
I'm pretty sure you are right. The font used in the name on the downtube is certainly different, and on the pages about Carrera on the Halfords site, there is no mention of Italian, though they do fudge the question of whether it is their own brand by saying it is sold exclusively through them in the UK.

Looking it up, it seems the Carrera bike brand in Italy was originally created for the race team, who were sponsored by Carrera Jeans.

I have found that I have gone back to the classic style of racing cycles. I bought a mountain style bike many years after they had become popular . Mainly it was due to the costs at the time but I also didn't like the weight of them . I think I eventually succumbed to fashion .
I eventually bought a Raleigh , I used for pleasure and to ride to work when my car was off the road. I changed the tyres to smooth road tyres as I found them to be a drag .
I'm not sure when my tastes changed but I think it may have been after I let my daughter use it . I think I may have used one of my old bikes as an alternative and rediscovered how nice they were to ride . They are light ,have chrome or polished aluminium bits . I have now become more aware of the shape of the lugs . I find that there is nothing better than cycling along on a sunny day and seeing the sunshine and blue sky being reflected off of the polished ally bars and wheels . It might be nostalgia, memories of my first bike . All I know is that it gives me a sense of pleasure .
I only have 2 bikes which were bought new , my 1970's Holdsworth Record and a late 1980-s Raleigh mountain bike . All of the rest are ones which I have bought as frames or ones to restore. One other thing about the classic style bikes is that most of the components are interchangeable .
I have found that I have become more interested in the transfers on frames , the use of script, box lining and the styles of metal head badges , some of which used actual enamel .

Venod

Eh up
I'm not bothered if it's not the latest style or looks pretty. Stealth black when I got my silver machine or later on with day glow detailing or features. That doesn't make a good bike only show pony. It's engineering that makes it. All good bikes have good engineering but not all show ponies have good engineering. However the expensive show ponies probably have it too. I can't afford that so I buy the best engineering I can afford whatever the looks.

I totally agree with this, the last bike I built typifies this, a Spa Elan Ti no frills but a fantastic bike all the same.

Some of it is that we fall for all of the marketing . I have seen some nice new looking bikes all shiny in a shop and thought" Ooh! That looks nice !" I didn't ask the price as I may have fainted ! I have also seen some nice old vintage bikes all tastefully restored, bright shiny paintwork and chrome , lugs lined and had similar thoughts . As I say some of it is down to clever marketing , it is the latest fashion , it is what the professionals ride. I am just as happy riding along on my cheap bikes, some of which invoke memories and draw comments from people .

simongt

Guru
The Brooks saddle says it all - ! :rofl:
But having said that, I've never been a fan of alu frames. Having owned one ( a Giant TCR ) and not liking the handling or performance, I've stuck to chromoly ever since. All bike designs / materials / components have their place with someone. Now my two 'principle' bikes both have British made Reynolds 531 frames with the youngest one being nearly thirty years old - ! :okay:

OP
OP
mpemburn

mpemburn

Old bikes work perfectly well too. That said, Campag wasn't as good as Shimano 30 years ago. :biggrin:
My experience with Campy gear is limited to that of about 45 years ago. I’d never heard of Shimano back then. My first encounter with it was the cheap but serviceable groupset on my Cannondale MTB. It still works quite well, in fact.

Top Bottom