timing belt/cambelt change frequency

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I've got a V-reg Mazda 323...don't have the Haynes manual for it. It's going in for MOT and I was thinking to get the cambelt changed at the same time. It's done just under 60k miles. Does that sound about right for a cambelt change or is it too soon?

cheers

ChrisKH

Guru
That sounds right. For a Nissan Primera for example the cambelt is changed at 50,000. Do you not have the car's service booklet? They usually describe what should be done when.

Sounds like a sensible thing to do. If the cambelt snaps you'll end up with a knackered engine.
Preventative maintainance applies equally to bikes and cars.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thanks for the replies. Yes, it needs changing. I checked up.
Cheers.

...pricey job?

Pete

As it happens, I've got exactly the same query regarding my (1996) Peugeot 306 diesel. Except that in my case it's supposed to be done at 72000, I'm now on 74000. Trouble is, the car's book value is less than £1000 and the cambelt is a pretty expensive job. Still, cheaper than replacing the car, I suppose. Or breaking down miles from anywhere with a trashed engine. Advice?

Pete

Maz said:
Thanks. I suppose I'd better check round the local garages - the quote I got was from the Peugeot franchised place and it was :ohmy::eek::tongue:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
ChrisKH - Nissan Primera's don't have cam belts - it's a chain - I have one and I know the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 petrols don't either - sure you don't mean an early diesel !

Chains generally last the life of the engine if properly serviced (i.e. you change the oil regular).

Cam belts life vary's from 30k to 60k - lots of new VW's are on 30k changes

Pete said:
As it happens, I've got exactly the same query regarding my (1996) Peugeot 306 diesel. Except that in my case it's supposed to be done at 72000, I'm now on 74000. Trouble is, the car's book value is less than £1000 and the cambelt is a pretty expensive job. Still, cheaper than replacing the car, I suppose. Or breaking down miles from anywhere with a trashed engine. Advice?

Value of car is not linked to cost of upkeep. Your Pug engine has done 74k probably without a spanner being put to it. Pop a new belt on it and it will do another 74k easily. That is about the only job most engines need now days. If you did buy another car it would probably need a belt anyway.

I tend to get a new one fitted when I buy the car (old cars) as even if it says it was done you cannot be sure it was done in the past. It is good insurance and as you will probably see in the Honest John stuff the recommendations now are for it to be done at much shorter intervals.

Only 40 years ago engines would need a full rebuild at 70k now they will last the life of the car with an oil change and a cam belt.

Most are fairly cheap to do but on the Pugs the engine is so tightly fitted into the car that you have about half an inch gap in which to do the job so it takes a lot longer and you have to take some other bits off to get to it.

ChrisKH

Guru
fossyant said:
ChrisKH - Nissan Primera's don't have cam belts - it's a chain - I have one and I know the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 petrols don't either - sure you don't mean an early diesel !

Chains generally last the life of the engine if properly serviced (i.e. you change the oil regular).

Cam belts life vary's from 30k to 60k - lots of new VW's are on 30k changes

There's always some clever so and so isn't there? :tongue: :biggrin: You're right it can't have been the Nissan as it hasn't done 50k yet.:ohmy: The last time I changed one (not me, the garage ) it was 50k. All the cars I've had are merging into one. It was probably the Isuzu Piazza Turbo. But then again, maybe not. :biggrin:

Over The Hill said:
Value of car is not linked to cost of upkeep. Your Pug engine has done 74k probably without a spanner being put to it. Pop a new belt on it and it will do another 74k easily. That is about the only job most engines need now days. If you did buy another car it would probably need a belt anyway.

I tend to get a new one fitted when I buy the car (old cars) as even if it says it was done you cannot be sure it was done in the past. It is good insurance and as you will probably see in the Honest John stuff the recommendations now are for it to be done at much shorter intervals.

Only 40 years ago engines would need a full rebuild at 70k now they will last the life of the car with an oil change and a cam belt.

Most are fairly cheap to do but on the Pugs the engine is so tightly fitted into the car that you have about half an inch gap in which to do the job so it takes a lot longer and you have to take some other bits off to get to it.

As above. That XUD engine is brilliant and will go on and on with regular oil, filter and cambelt changes. Mine (in a Cit BX) has 185k on the clock and is still running like a sewing machine.

gbb

Legendary Member
If...if other manufacturers follow Vauxhalls logic, a cambelt replacement is expensive because they want to change the rollers as well. The logic is..and i can see it..is that you replace a belt...only for a roller to fail, buggering up the engine just as well as a belt failure.

Belt, rollers and waterpump on my SRI was going to be £600 in the garage....did it myself (with the help of a knowledgeable friend) for £150 max and a mornings work.

Cavaliers and early Vectras used to have a 90,000 mile cambelt interval. Check it out before you replace it, you might be surprised. (you probably wont be...but you never know )

bonj2

Ask a mazda dealership. But don't get it done by them. or ask on barryboys in the 'ask famine' thread, they'll know.

Top Bottom