Timmy Mallets coastal tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Cant find another thread about this so thought I'd post for anyone interested.
I forgot this guy existed to be honest, stumbled upon his recently started coastal tour of Britain by pure chance on Instagram. Looks like hes on a Giant e bike with a very interesting paint job.
Some links to where you can follow his adventure:

https://www.strava.com/athletes/8925023

https://m.facebook.com/TheTimmyMallett

I imagine this guy is a bit marmite but I'm sure some might be want to follow his journey.

Almost a full house - instagram, strava and facebook. Where is the TikTok link??

I used to wind up Cannondale owners years earlier by saying Cannondale was his brand of choice and that was what he rode back then and a few Cannondale owners used to bite but now he is riding Giant my favourite bike brand. Not that I actually care about that because I'm not really a bike brand snob and wouldn't care what type of bike I rode or what celebrity rides the same bike but its amusing sometimes when people create an image for themselves in their mind and like to ride the same brand bikes as professional racers for example. I would definitely say Giant is a far more sensible choice with regards value and quality. Cannondale ebike pricing seems very high to me.

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Almost a full house - instagram, strava and facebook. Where is the TikTok link??

He seems to have taken over them all^_^

The insta and tiktok links juts took me to my apps and im not tech savvy enough to find a work around.
Seems to be posting similar stuff to them all though.
Edit
Also has YouTube 😂
As long as he isn't riding in a yellow polka dot bikini I may follow his journey

Last edited:
He was interviewed a while ago on the Cycling Podcast - it was so interesting. Worth a listen.

View: https://podcasts.apple.com/gh/podcast/explore-utterly-brilliant-with-timmy-mallett/id665713706?i=1000501984524

That was quite fun. I'm mostly a fan of TCP, but the Explore sub-genre has often been laughable. That one was notable that they talked for an hour about his gentle cycle tour around France (staying in hotels/gites) without ever calling it touring. One has to leverage the jargon maximally, it seems; it was a "bikepacking" trip, apparently :laugh: 🤦‍♀️ (although Timmy never used the word, to his credit)

Last edited:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
That was quite fun. I'm mostly a fan of TCP, but the Explore sub-genre has often been laughable. That one was notable that they talked for an hour about his gentle cycle tour around France without ever calling it touring. One has to leverage the jargon maximally, it seems; it was a "bikepacking" trip, apparently :laugh: 🤦‍♀️ (although Timmy never used the word, to his credit)

I’m surprised you feel that way, I generally enjoy the explore episodes very much. Horses for courses, I guess.

I’m surprised you feel that way, I generally enjoy the explore episodes very much. Horses for courses, I guess.
They've been highly variable! It's been a while now, so I've forgotten the other ones, but I know some have been good.
(Did they interview the woman who wrote the book about cuisine round France? That was an entertaining interview, whoever did it!

EDIT: it's Ep 23 "In this episode we meet Felicity Cloake, award-winning food writer for The Guardian and author of the excellent One More Croissant for the Road")

When TCP cover racing and/or aspects of racing, they're excellent. I think they just made a few false starts with the Explore series.

Last edited:
He was interviewed a while ago on the Cycling Podcast - it was so interesting. Worth a listen.
I just listened to that tonight. Podcasts aren't really my thing but I really enjoyed it.
I've done the Camino too but have no idea who the gentleman was. He's very enthusiastic and I really like his style - stopping more than cycling😃

I'd encourage anyone thinking about a bike adventure to have a listen

Thank you
That one was notable that they talked for an hour about his gentle cycle tour around France (staying in hotels/gites) without ever calling it touring.
He does mention touring and how good it is.
it was a "bikepacking" trip, apparently :laugh: 🤦‍♀️ (although Timmy never used the word, to his credit)
Well done on shoehorning a mocking attitude to bikepacking in a podcast that talks in detail of a very personal journey, the difficulties, the freedom and the chance encounters that deliver new friendships.
He talked of two panniers, battery, charger and his painting gear. He mentioned a weight of 25 kg. There's not many bikepacking setups that could tolerate that.

He used the word "adventure" frequently, and referenced exploring often, both in relation to day rides as well as longer trips.

It's cicloturismo in Spanish, fietstochten in Dutch, fahrradtouren in German and I think cyclotourisme in French. And Bikepacking in all those languages. It's universal.

Touring, bikepacking. Keep on picking at the language - there's a whole lot of us out here on our bikes and the last thing we care about is the terminology.

I don’t give a monkeys what it’s called either. I spent yesterday’s Covid enforces isolation planning and booking this summer’s epic French extravaganza and I am unbearably excited!
France puts me in mind of crispy, fresh baguettes with soft, melting cheese and ham washed down with some red wine* on a canal bank. Or towering sand dunes to play in. Fabulous country to explore.
Bon voyage!

*Yes! I know it should be white..... But I like what I like^_^

He does mention touring and how good it is.

Well done on shoehorning a mocking attitude to bikepacking in a podcast that talks in detail of a very personal journey, the difficulties, the freedom and the chance encounters that deliver new friendships.
He talked of two panniers, battery, charger and his painting gear. He mentioned a weight of 25 kg. There's not many bikepacking setups that could tolerate that.

He used the word "adventure" frequently, and referenced exploring often, both in relation to day rides as well as longer trips.

It's cicloturismo in Spanish, fietstochten in Dutch, fahrradtouren in German and I think cyclotourisme in French. And Bikepacking in all those languages. It's universal.

Touring, bikepacking. Keep on picking at the language - there's a whole lot of us out here on our bikes and the last thing we care about is the terminology.
Perhaps I wasn't very clear. But I also think you've jumped to some conclusions about me there.

I wasn't criticising Timmy (I think that was clear in my post). I enjoyed his interview. My criticism is of the the Explore presenters, and their mission to avoid the words touring and cycle-touring, instead insisting on calling everything "bikepacking". I can forgive this in young people who have come to cycle travel via blogs etc that use the term, but I'm pretty sure Lionel is even older than me, so as a lifelong cycling journo he is well aware of cycle-touring; why abandon a well-known, long-established term? Perhaps the team have decided "bike-packing" is more fashionable. (Hobbes have you listened to other episodes of Explore? I would be surprised if you find a reference to cycle-touring.)
As you say, the term is very ill-suited to Timmy's adventure:
The terminology isn't of great importance, but for me the approach "Explore" takes is distracting and irritating. Here is their banner for the series:
"Explore celebrates the world of adventure riding, bikepacking, record-breaking and just the sheer joy of travelling the world on two wheels."
You are most welcome to take a different view!

Last edited:
Top Bottom