Timmy Mallets coastal tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Listened to the Cycling Podcast yesterday; Timmy Mallett talking about his Camino trip/
I don't honestly remember much of Spain, the memorable bits for me were the journey to and from Spain; his paintings, meeting people along the way, the Wisteria & blue shutters, the snapped chain, the distant snow-capped peaks of Andorra...
Or to put it more simply, I loved hearing of the experience.

A lovely bit of escapism* as I toiled over the Sunday roast.
Sad that his brother Martin died just before the trip. HIs love for Martin came over loud and clear. TM might be Marmite to some, but that man has a soul.

*apart from the awful/grating sponsorship sections

Perhaps I wasn't very clear. But I also think you've jumped to some conclusions about me there.
No, I don't think you were being particularly clear. Nor helpful. As for jumping to conclusions please see below

The terminology isn't of great importance, but for me the approach "Explore" takes is distracting and irritating.
Only in answer to my challenge do you mention their use of bikepacking over touring.
Previously you mentioned:

They've been highly variable!
and
I think they just made a few false starts with the Explore series.
Not exactly clarity.

And as for "the terminology isn't of great importance (and as a defence of my "jumping to conclusions") here are just some of your utterances on previous threads

Sounds like a nice bit of touring.

But as I only have touring experience - not bike packing - I can't help, sorry!

Was it wise to use panniers on a bike-packing trip? People might think she's touring.

It's touring - so why not call it Touring? (Well you did ask!!!) You did find the Touring forum to post in.

Good luck - looks like a great trip :smile:

Two of those threads were from self proclaimed newbies looking for advice. Personally, I find it rude to correct strangers in that manner. Especially beginners.
I also find such nit-picking to be contrary to the spirit of a Touring & Adventure forum. (Perhaps the mods should include bike-packing in the title?).

I find it hard to agree that the terminology isn't important to you.
But how about starting a new thread on Touring Vs Bike packing - clearly we'll need definitions of both terms to start the ball rolling. You can define both, can't you?
And then the Travelogues and general threads can be left alone of such .... inputs.

There are few enough people travelling on bikes (although far, far more than ever post on fora). Dividing people up I find, is unhelpful and possibly a reason for less participation in fora such as these.

Back in the day I was extremely reluctant to post on many fora because of nit-picking attitudes from regular posters. I then stopped posting on most others for the same reason. CycleChat has always been the friendliest forum, especially for Touring. I'd like to see it remain that way.

Hobbes have you listened to other episodes of Explore? I would be surprised if you find a reference to cycle-touring
No. As I said, I rarely listen to Podcasts but terminology rarely inspires me. Inspiration can be found in many, many places, many often not even including a bike.
I look to be inspired, not annoyed.

In the same vein, can I assume that you've contacted the producers to highlight your complaint?

You are most welcome to take a different view

Well, Thank you!:rolleyes:

@HobbesOnTour , my dear chap. It's nice having my own personal forum stalker, but haven't you got some sunny roads to be riding, instead of wasting time picking at my posts?
You've had nothing nice to say to me from Day1 on this forum. Each of your responses has been to put me down, and full of sanctimonious twaddle about how I should follow your example of encouraging adventure by bike (apart from the couple where you found other things to argue about :laugh: - IIRC the first time, I was actually being nice about you, but you still picked a fight ...)

The exchanges you've highlighted above were perfectly civil and positive - until YOU stuck your oar in.
I got a nice LIKE from one of the people you accused me of belittling (thanks for the link, saved me some searching), so thanks for your constructive feedback on my posts ... but no thanks.:hello:

Hopefully professional journalists don't need your protection from my nasty nasty posts. Nor Timmy Mallett :P

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I especially enjoyed his Isle of Wight leg. Used to go there as a kid with family and would love to go back. Looks a great place for cycling.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I especially enjoyed his Isle of Wight leg. Used to go there as a kid with family and would love to go back. Looks a great place for cycling.
Presumably the content is repeated on each of the various sites he uses, but which were you looking at?
I'm hoping to avoid TIktok, Twitter and Instagram; havn't a clue how to use them.

As for the IoW, it is a good place to cycle although some roads are busy and all of them seem to feature a surplus of endless rolling hills. I've just remembered the Randonnee - it's in early May this year. https://www.cycleisland.co.uk/

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

@lazybloke unfortunately I use all of them, I do enjoy a bit of social media however he is on Strava and yes the content is pretty much repeated.

If I ever did venture down there it would be more of a touring/bikepacking (adjust to suit your preference) type trip more for the nostalgia than anything and I still have family down there. The thing that usually puts me off nowadays is the price of the ferries, with a bike I imagine this would be cheaper though.

Last edited:
more of a touring/bikepacking (adjust to suit your preference) type trip
:smooch:

The thing that usually puts me off nowadays is the price of the ferries, with a bike I imagine this would be cheaper though.
I've only been over on bike - it seemed very affordable last time. Must be cheap - Audaxers use it!!!
I remember a friend who grew up on IOW saying how outrageous the car-ferry price. The only family I know that use it regularly are pretty minted!

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Ahh labels. Back in the day I would tell people I'd been climbing Ben Nevis, but what did that mean? Had I been sauntering up the tourist track, scrambling on Tower Ridge or leading a Multi-Pitch on the Orion face? you see, labels bring context and meaning to an umbrella term that covers many facets.

Then a few years ago I stumbled across the idea of ultra light touring and going for multi day adventurous journeys, right up my cycleway. The term bikepacking seemed to fit this subset of bike touring beautifully and I continue to enjoy my adventures to this day. I've taken umbrance in the past to comments deriding the term, because to my mind, as outlined above, I just see it as a way of describing a type of touring and we should be enjoying any type of touring adventure, no matter the label.

However, I'm no great social media user and was generally unaware of the creeping prevalence of the word and it's attachment to anything and everything to do with bikes and touring. Even I'm slowly getting more and more narked though with the constant bombardment of the term, no matter the context and the nebulous products that it seems to get attached to. I happen to believe deeply in the @HobbesOnTour approach to bike touring, the, just get out there and ride and have an adventure, however you want to. I do wonder if the constant use of the label is even a barrier to some folk? I am coming to the view that we need to maybe row back a bit on the constant labeling that is now starting to feel overdone and just celebrate the joy of traveling by bike, no matter how we choose to do so. So without wishing to derail the thread any further, I'll leave it there.

Thanks for starting the thread and drawing my attention to Timmy's tour though, I have found it to be interesting and enjoyable to read about his meanderings I'm also really impressed with his paintings. He's in the South West at the moment and I'm waiting for him to pass through North Devon where I grew up.

Even I'm slowly getting more and more narked though with the constant bombardment of the term, no matter the context and the nebulous products that it seems to get attached to.
Thankyou; this is the basically the point I have been making (but with a sprinkle of old man grouchiness on top!).

I happen to believe deeply in the @HobbesOnTour approach to bike touring, the, just get out there and ride and have an adventure, however you want to. I do wonder if the constant use of the label is even a barrier to some folk? I am coming to the view that we need to maybe row back a bit on the constant labeling that is now starting to feel overdone and just celebrate the joy of traveling by bike, no matter how we choose to do so. So without wishing to derail the thread any further, I'll leave it there.
Chapeau to all that!

@HobbesOnTour , my dear chap. It's nice having my own personal forum stalker, but haven't you got some sunny roads to be riding, instead of wasting time picking at my posts?
You've had nothing nice to say to me from Day1 on this forum. Each of your responses has been to put me down, and full of sanctimonious twaddle about how I should follow your example of encouraging adventure by bike (apart from the couple where you found other things to argue about :laugh: - IIRC the first time, I was actually being nice about you, but you still picked a fight ...)

The exchanges you've highlighted above were perfectly civil and positive - until YOU stuck your oar in.
I got a nice LIKE from one of the people you accused me of belittling (thanks for the link, saved me some searching), so thanks for your constructive feedback on my posts ... but no thanks.:hello:

Hopefully professional journalists don't need your protection from my nasty nasty posts. Nor Timmy Mallett :P
Are we in the playground?

Not many like their own words coming back to bite them in the ass so your reaction is understandable.
Unfortunately for you it's raining here in Spain and I'll post when I like.

You've had nothing nice to say to me from Day1 on this forum. Each of your responses has been to put me down
Back it up. Has it crossed your mind that that perhaps my response is a ..... well, response to your post? ^_^
full of sanctimonious twaddle about how I should follow your example of encouraging adventure by bike
Back it up.

I don't recall ever advocating that you or anyone should follow my example. Like lots of people here I use my own experience as an example. That's not the same thing.

Being polite along the way is a given I would have thought?

And did you not write this last week about me?
At least one poster on this thread - who is a longstanding, and positive contributor in areas such as Touring - has said as much.
In this thread.
I'm confused. Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle or positive contributor? :wacko:
IIRC the first time, I was actually being nice about you, but you still picked a fight ...)
No. The first time I became aware of you I contacted you by private message to clarify what you meant. You being a newbie I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt.
Or perhaps you're referring to an underhand PM you sent offering advice on how to deal with online debate? It appears your idea or nice and mine are far apart.
got a nice LIKE from one of the people you accused me of belittling
And you gave me hugs in your reply above!^_^ Perhaps I'm just more cynical but I don't put a lot of faith in such things.
I wasn't protecting either of those.
I was calling out needless nit-picking and rudeness.

labels bring context and meaning to an umbrella term that covers many facets.
That's very true.
Important at times, less important at others.
I do wonder if the constant use of the label is even a barrier to some folk?
I hadn't thought about this in until I read it and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it is.
Buying my first set of panniers was easy peasy. Trying to fit out a bikepacking rig is a lot more tricky. I'd imagine frustrating too.

But.... Isn't it the same with bikes?
Any question posed on online fora about "what touring bike should I get?" will get a huge and varied response. Frame material, braking system, gearing system, wheel size, tyre type. Not to mention the types - "Touring", gravel, Cross, MTB etc. I'd hate to be under any kind of pressure to buy and pose that question. The information overload would kill my enthusiasm.

I'm no great social media user and was generally unaware of the creeping prevalence of the word and it's attachment to anything and everything to do with bikes and touring.
It's something I've noticed especially amongst those where English is not their native language.
I'm no great user of Feckbook but it was useful to me during the Pandemic to find out information from those in different places.

Even within "touring" there are vast differences in approach. For some speed and distance is the key, others it's all about the roses. CGOAB has (finally) relented and allowed journals from E-bikes on the main site (under strict supervision!) as an example of another common conflict.
What some people do on their bikes is very far removed from what I consider touring. I'm not going to wade in and tell them so, though.
Hell! What I've been doing for the last while is very far removed from what I thought touring was a few years ago!^_^

I recall seeing an argument made (not here I think) that two small panniers on the front were "bikepacking" but the same panniers on the back were "touring"!

There are so many things that link us together I despair at those trying to divide us.
There's a thread running about problems booking multiple bikes on ferry crossings and suggestions for a campaign to make ferries accommodate cyclists better. There's a value to unity and a price to disunity.

I vote for unity.

Lozz360

Veteran
I didn't know Timmy Mallett was a keen cyclist. I sometimes see him at Oxford United home games. He is one of only a very few of our celebrity supporters.

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Top Bottom