Tiny rides of 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TrishE

Über Member
That looks brilliant @TrishnBonnie , your tiny rides will be super speedy now! I’ve ridden an ebike once, up and down a very steep Wiltshire lane. It was surreally fast and stable, and I had an unusual moment of panic about whether I could stop gracefully on the gravel at the bottom. Luckily I did.
Another tiny ride - on the Marin today around the lanes. 8.23km at 15.9km/h. It was lovely. Sunshine, fresh air and the hills are doing that thing of getting a bit shorter every time I ride them. I had a “here we go again” moment on the downhill side of a canal bridge because of a huge pothole and 3 cars choosing that moment to go past me, but they gave me plenty of space so that was nice. I think I might tiny ride to town tomorrow, if I can get out in the morning.

I was really surprised how it sped up the hills I wasn't riding the folder because of having to walk so much, so glad to be cycling again. Glad you had a good ride too :smile:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
It's an entry level bike but it has good reviews, seems fine for what I want and it's only 5 miles to work so the range should be ok.

This is what I think is great about e-bikes, the way they enable people to do things they couldn't quite manage on a normal bike.

TrishE

Über Member
Flipping loving this ebike! Did three miles the other day and today I did another couple of miles partly on the road, along a shared path and through the park to home. There was one very steep hill so I put it in level two and went up it fine. On Sunday morning I'm planning to head towards work for a practice ride as I'm off will see what the weather is like :smile:

IMG_20230706_140253497_HDR~2.jpg

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I was staying with friends earlier this week and took my Brompton with me.

We had a bit of spare time one day so I went out for a ride with my friend. He has a Planet X road bike which isn't really a good match for a Brompton. I thought I was in luck though because he had problems with the gears and was stuck in a high gear and my Brompton is a six speed :laugh: The first hill we came to he had to get off and walk. I thought I was managing until I realised that what I'd thought was the top was only a plateau halfway up. I'm not ashamed to get off and push for a while. And then he managed to sort the problem with the gears so he had no problem with hills after that.

Most of the roads we were on were single track roads with no traffic. The only problems were the potholes and the loose gravel surfaces. I'm a bit of a wimp and terrified of falling off so I was very cautious especially on the downhill stretches. There were a couple of stretches with lovely fresh tarmac (a road used to service a windfarm) so it was lovely bowling along on those.

We did have a couple of miles on a "main road" but it was very quiet and the traffic we did see was lovely and considerate. We were probably in more danger from the sheep that had strayed onto the road at one point.

The loop we did was further than we thought - about 13 miles. The furthest I'd ridden in a while and my friend wasn't used to the saddle on that bike so he was a bit sore afterwards. Obviously not the same as riding a vintage motorbike!

route.JPG

a.twiddler

Veteran
20/7/23
Tiny ride today

A short trip into town to make a pick up on the Spirit. Casually dressed as usual, grey cap, track mitts, thin gilet for the sake of the pockets.

Out of my back gate heading to Swanlow Lane, left then right at the uphill lights. Downhill then left again towards the town centre. This was all very pleasant, though the traffic was always there. I turned right at the town centre lights then across to a supermarket car park where I got off and pushed as the pavement was crowded. It’s noticeably easier to push than the Linear in a crowded place.

As I was locking the bike up outside a shop an old feller (Old feller! He was probably younger than me) stopped to admire the bike. He asked if it was electric, and I replied that it was pedal power only. He commented that he liked how the pedals were positioned. I was a bit preoccupied with getting the chain to reach that last centimetre so I wasn’t as fulsome as I might have been. I gave him some information, however. I’m constantly surprised at the interest shown by the most unlikely people when I turn up on a recumbent. Perhaps this one looks more friendly and bike-relatable compared with the more industrial looking Linear. So far it’s a case of making people smile, whether I intend to or not.

I went in to make my collection before unchaining the mini beast and making good my escape before I could be accosted again. Out through the car park, left at the exit roundabout then right at the next into Dingle lane. Over the humps, nicely soaked up by the still novel suspension, then across the kerb and en route to Gladstone St. While I was slowly twiddling up an estate road a rider on a bare, thin tyred bike overtook me. Well, I’m used to this sort of thing but once I turned on to Gladstone St. and then Townfields Road there he was again, not far ahead. Probably not the first rider ever to speed past a rider in front then slow down once out of sight.

A showery day, with occasional clouds gathering but the rain held off. After turning left and downhill to gather speed for my uphill turn off, I dawdled through the lanes to my back gate.

2.83 miles. (I’m beginning to have my doubts about its accuracy on shorter trips -seemed further). Max 19.2. Average 6.7 mph. According to Garmin.

Total Ascent 108ft. According to Bikehike.

First ride! I'm discounting the 1-mile test ride on the Marin. 7.28 miles, happy with that. Biked behaved impeccably, but at first seemed odd. Then I realised that my spine leans to the right a bit. Weird. Need to tell the surgeon about that in a couple of weeks, hope I haven't bent anything!
Totally whacked, and sore! Then I checked my logs: haven't ridden since 11th October 22!

Last edited:

RMR

Decided on my birthday,25 July, that i must get out on the bike more as I was getting lazy. I have to say that I now look forward to my time bimbling around my home county and keeping a total of my mileage. So far it's 117 miles, roll on tomorrow.

All uphill

Still rolling along
For the last month I've limited myself to tiny rides because of some health issues.

It's been surprisingly enjoyable; knowing that two or three miles is my comfortable limit means that I take my time and look at everything. Normally the first few miles are "just getting out of town", now they are the ride.

Top Bottom