Tiny saunter on bike turned sour...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Went down to the allotment on Saturday. Got the spuds in.

It isn't far, and I don't take the camera down there because its a bit of a pain storing it away in the shed while I'm working (to avoid another accidental near burial, which happened once). Besides, its one straight road, one corner, uneventful.

Black 4x4 overtook FAR too close on the main road. I was in primary, so I had swerve space, no problem. He wasn't going anywhere fast, the lights and the end of the (straight) road were red, and I could already see from the position they were taking that the two cars at the lights would be turning right. One of them, the one at the front, even indicated to do so while waiting (a rarity!). The overtake wasn't careless, it was aggressive; you have to judge a close overtake of a cyclist in primary with great care, and he had plenty of room for a careless but safe overtake, if that makes sense.

Black 4x4 was maybe fourth or fifth back from the junction when I got there. He'd swerved right in to the pavement, presumably assuming I would be filtering kerbside. I didn't, I went around the outside, in around the back of the two cars presumably turning right after making eye contact with car 3, waited in a decent secondary next to the right turning car (catching that drivers eye, nodding acknolwedgement of each others presence - its all going pretty much as you'd hope so far). I was going straight on at the junction, so my road position here suited me fine.

Moved off as the lights changed, black 4x4 also went straight on. I was well into primary position when he passed me, while in the process of doing so swerving sharply towards the kerb and braking hard. Had one of those 'now where do I go...' moments, yelled 'WATCH IT!', stopped barely with enough space, he of course had his window down and was yelling abuse. Okay, I thought, pay him no attention, can either wait here for him to reverse at me, dismount and wait for him to challenge me, or just keep going. Chose the latter, cycled around him, remained in primary. Antagonistic? Probably, but just breathing in this guys presence was enough to wind him up.

I was taking the next left turn, taking me to the allotment gates about 75 yards down that turning. 4x4 started off after me, yelling abuse through his window. Specifically, 'f***ing paedophile! paedophile'. Well, thats me told then. Someone who I don't know, don't want to know, who has just endangered me intentionally and who I have refused to acknowledge is now accusing me, from his car window and at high volume, of being a kiddy fiddler. That proves his case, that I am in some way an inferior road user, quite admirably. I turned off to the left and he followed me, right to the gates. I got off to open the gate, turned to face him, yelled 'get out and face me, or **** off'. He didn't get out, I opened the gate, closed it behind me, stared at him, and cycled off to my allotment. He could by now see that there were plenty of other people taking advantage of a glorious saturday morning on the allotments, clearly didn't fancy taking on a bunch of people armed with garden tools, did a cumbersome 3 point turn and sped off.

Just goes to show, even on the most ordinary, short trips, on quiet weekend roads, you only have to meet one mental case and it ruins things.

Reporting such things to Cambridgeshire Contabulary, even with footage, is a joke. So I'm not reporting this one. I'll just look out for this lemon and next time I get some video of him. Plod won't do anything even if I do, but I see little else I can do.

domtyler

Über Member
It is just a sad f***ing truth that we have to put up with this shoot from time to time if we want to carry on cycling. Why do these f***ers even exist?

EEEKKK!:B)

That really was a shocker! I admire you for your restraint!

I understand that you don't want to report it, but this guy is an assault waiting to happen (by that I mean he is likely to assault someone), or he may have already done this in the past. It is possible that the police know of him already. Therefore I would definitely report it. In fact thinking about it it sounds like he tried to assault you with his vehicle. You have to report it, even if there is only a small chance of preventing him doing it again.

This is certainly not a personal criticism cab, but I think that is one of the problems with society in general today. Too many people turn a blind eye. It means that folk like this can get away with this unmonitored.

If you do take this to the police, point them to the comments made by Strathclyde Police with regards to my filming. It might help.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hmm, it's the sort of idiot all road users face - don't like being passed and then get all angry... it's not even a weekday.

Got beeped this morning as I was a little naughty - coming down a long incline - easily doing 30mph as the traffic wasn't catching the mtb... in primary, and my usual problem junction, girl pulls out on me - I hit the white line and sail past...only problem now, car infront decides to let a driver pull out from curb, so instead of slamming on, I accellerate past the Merc in front (over 10 mph faster than him), and slot neatly between him and the car that had just been let out.... ah well !

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
EEEKKK!:blush:

I understand that you don't want to report it, but this guy is an assault waiting to happen (by that I mean he is likely to assault someone), or he may have already done this in the past. It is possible that the police know of him already. Therefore I would definitely report it. In fact thinking about it it sounds like he tried to assault you with his vehicle. You have to report it, even if there is only a small chance of preventing him doing it again.

This is certainly not a personal criticism cab, but I think that is one of the problems with society in general today. Too many people turn a blind eye. It means that folk like this can get away with this unmonitored.

If you do take this to the police, point them to the comments made by Strathclyde Police with regards to my filming. It might help.

It's not society that has the problem it is the lack of effective policing that means that people don't bother reporting crime because they know that nothing will ever get done.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
magnatom said:

This is certainly not a personal criticism cab, but I think that is one of the problems with society in general today.If you do take this to the police, point them to the comments made by Strathclyde Police with regards to my filming. It might help.

The guy didn't get away with it really, cab told him to 'get out of the car' to which the driver thought better.... Cab did try to avoid confrontation, but the guy followed him...

Think I'd have done the same thing, and if it carried on - Ask him to get out and discuss the matter.

I had a bunch of lads scream abuse at me last year, then one leaned out and try and knock me off - other than pass them with a glare, there was not much else I could do - I was on the wrong bike in the wrong kit (best bike and road shoes) so couldn't have jumped off and defended myself without slipping on my arse anyway.

The Police don't want to know - 'Were you hurt' - nope - "oh Well nothing we can do..."

It's not just cyclists that get this abuse, it's just a little easier for the cyclist to hear it all and of course a slower moving target.

Maz

Guru
I can just imagine you all down at the allotments, pitchforks in hand, ready to storm the gates and kill the beast.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What is it with black 4x4's that turn their drivers into complete and utter knobs.? (also see my post on April 2nd)

And these bloody black 4X4's...do you ever see a muddy one?, you know, like mud from some offroad driving? no! never. tossers.:blush:

Tynan

Veteran
like your style cab, bravo

and a 4x4, what a suprise

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

magnatom said:

I've been there and done that here with Cambridgeshire Constabulary. You get to the station with registration details, possibly witness accounts and contact details, and you try to report an incident in which no one was hurt. Policy seems to be that unless theres blood on the road or danage to vehicles there was no incident, and I've had that spelled out to me quite clearly by a police inspector (quite off the record) who would rather I stopped reporting such things.

So I appreciate and agree with everything you've said there, but I'm not reporting it because my considerable experience of reporting these incidents in Cambridge tells me that such would be a massive waste of time and could even lose more good will with plod.

The lesson is to start filming more or less constantly and use such footage to embarass local Plod into taking action.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Maz said:
I can just imagine you all down at the allotments, pitchforks in hand, ready to storm the gates and kill the beast.

Would have been quite comical acually, there were at least a dozen people who would have been able to see, armed varoiusly with hoe, fork, spade and trowel. The guy would have got a damned good shovelling had he tried anything :blush:

And thats part of the problem with idiots like this; they're very brave with their vehicles to protect them, or they at least think that they are.

Cab said:
I've been there and done that here with Cambridgeshire Constabulary. You get to the station with registration details, possibly witness accounts and contact details, and you try to report an incident in which no one was hurt. Policy seems to be that unless theres blood on the road or danage to vehicles there was no incident, and I've had that spelled out to me quite clearly by a police inspector (quite off the record) who would rather I stopped reporting such things.

So I appreciate and agree with everything you've said there, but I'm not reporting it because my considerable experience of reporting these incidents in Cambridge tells me that such would be a massive waste of time and could even lose more good will with plod.

The lesson is to start filming more or less constantly and use such footage to embarass local Plod into taking action.

I can understand that there is no point in reporting every day incidents or even the majority of my videos. However, an incident like the one you described did sound serious and worth reporting. I am very disheartened to hear about the polices stance.

I am sure Dom is right in that the police are at least partially at fault. If we look at it further it is probably down to lack of resources and so is probably a political problem.

Something needs to be done though. We need create a culture where road rage is as socially unacceptable as drink driving.

Does anyone know of any statistics for injuries and deaths resulting from road rage incidents? I would be interested to see how they compare to similar statistics for drink driving.

PBancroft

Wow. Scary.

If nothing else, this is why bike cams are a good idea - at least you could name and shame. Maybe someone needs to set up a site, not just post to YouTube, so that all road users can check their area for dodgy behaviour and be aware of what to look out for.

Have you considered writing to your local newsrags? If you argue the child safety angle (which is perfectly valid since many kids cycle) you may be lucky and see an awareness campaign form.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

magnatom said:
I can understand that there is no point in reporting every day incidents or even the majority of my videos. However, an incident like the one you described did sound serious and worth reporting. I am very disheartened to hear about the polices stance.

I've reported worse to Cambridge police and the response has been, bluntly, crap. So I agere, these incidents matter, but in practical terms, in some parts of the country, we do not have a legal route to sort them out.

I am sure Dom is right in that the police are at least partially at fault. If we look at it further it is probably down to lack of resources and so is probably a political problem.

It isn't a lack of resources, I just don't buy that. They have resources to stop cyclists moving at walking pace going the wrong way on a one way street (saw plod waiting to do precisely that on Sunday), so they have sufficient resources to investigate assaults. They simply choose not to; cyclists being treated like this by motorists is so far down their priority list that they'll do their best to dissuade you from reporting it. And if you DO manage to get an incident number, and if you do chase to see what happens, the whole incident becomes even more disheartening as they try to weasel out of doing anything solid.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Kaipaith said:
Have you considered writing to your local newsrags? If you argue the child safety angle (which is perfectly valid since many kids cycle) you may be lucky and see an awareness campaign form.

Cambridge Evening News hasn't got a great history of being pro-cyclist, to say the least :wacko:

But you're right. I think that the right approach may be to be far more consciencious about using the helmet cam, and to use footage to embarass plod into taking action, even to get the CEN in on things. I can't say that I'm completely enamoured of the youtube route after the treatment Magnatom had, but there simply has to be a way.

Top Bottom