Tips for a long distance novice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesM

Hi all,

I'm thinking of suggesting a long distance sponsored bike ride to a colleague. Possibly Leeds to Edinburgh.

We've both just got back into cycling again. He has a road bike and an off road bike. I have a Specialized CrossTrail Sport.

Any hints and tips or links for a long distance beginner would be greatly appreciated. (I think there should be a sticky for this kind of thing in an ideal world)

What kind of training regime would you recommend?

Is there anywhere online that does cycle specific route finding?

Will I get away with doing it on my hybrid or should I consider getting a road bike?

Thanks

James

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I do 80 mile trips at weekends on a Hybrid (Specialized Globe) quite easy... Make sure you have bar ends though. Others will agree a Hybrid is ok others will say get a road bike, and even others will say get a specific tourer. The internet is your friend, there is so much information available, both on this forum and others.
However you should ride whatever you feel comfortable on, so it is best to try a few bikes first.

You will need to re-fuel on your journey, plenty of liquid and drink before you are thirsty.
I also carry nuts and dried fruit in my pockets for easy reach and munch on those often.

Others will be along with more information no doubt

OP
OP
JamesM

JamesM

Thanks. Last time I did anything beyond a couple of hours of cycling in a day was in the lakes many moons ago. I got through a lot of Kendal Mint Cake!!!

ASC1951

Guru
Kendal Mint Cake is a poor choice IMO - just 100% quick release sugars. What you need is complex slow release carbohydrate.

Even without heroics you should be able to do Leeds - Edinburgh in three days. Just make sure you keep your base fitness up and do a few long rides (50+ miles) so that you know what it feels like. Eat what you normally eat and don't get dehydrated.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
provided that you're in reasonable physical shape the tricky bit is mental. You have to relax your way in to distance riding. Mix up relaxed, easy, steady rides with shorter more aggressive muscle building rides. Get in control of your breathing and your emotions, which can swing around a bit.

And bar ends. I think a road bike would help, but bar ends are a must on a hybrid.

mercurykev

The two most important things I've found for long distances are:

1) a comfortable bike set up. It's amazing how that little niggle after an hour becomes a massive pain after 10 hours.

2) eat and drink regularly. My preference is pocket graze to ensure that I always have energy coming on line.

I'm going to do Musselburgh to Leeds as a DIY audax in June. The route is 320km and should take about 17 hours:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/musselburgh-Leeds252820

Randochap

Senior hunter
Good advice from mercurykev.

And you can't go wrong following Velocio's advice from the 1800's:

Velocio's Seven Commandments

1. Keep your rest short and infrequent to maintain your rhythm.

2.Eat before you are hungry and drink before you are thirsty.

3.Never ride to the point of exhaustion where you can't eat or sleep.

4.Cover up before you are cold, peel off before you are hot.

5.Don't drink, smoke, or eat meat on tour.

6.Never force the pace, especially during the first hours.

7.Never ride just for the sake of riding

Check out the Randonneuring hub @ VeloWeb

Randochap

Senior hunter
Noodley said:
That's taking it a bit far....trying to smoke meat whilst cycling :wacko:

Not as difficult as drinking meat though :?: I'm presuming blender and straw if you were planning to transgress.

OP
OP
JamesM

JamesM

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Good luck on the Musselburgh to Leeds, mercurykev. You'll have to post how the route goes - I'll try to remember to look out for it!

Top Bottom