Tips for getting chain back on!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emsy4

So my chain fell off for the first time this morning, trying to change into an imaginary gear that makes hills easy (it wasn't there!). Of course in the middle of the woods with no one to help. Eventually got it back on after a 15 minute struggle, in which I got plastered in oil.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I made this for puttting chains on, just made out of a bit of wire

chain putter oner.jpg

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Push the rear mech forward to create slack in the chain then simply put it back on the chainring. If you are bothered about oil, either learn to keep your chain clean, or take some sort of mechanics gloves (nitrile, latex or whatever).

OP
OP
Emsy4

Emsy4

Does it? I was in lowest gear, both sides ( is that correct terminology? ) The Hill still hurt so I tried to change down again, but obviously nowt to change down to:/

OP
OP
Emsy4

Emsy4

Is it easy to do? Could I do it? Or do I need your expertise.....

Sillyoldman

Veteran
If the chain dropped off the small chainring then a deda dog fang chain catcher may help. Colin of this parish swears by them and I took his advice and got one. Cheap and does the job. Not had the chain come off since.

OP
OP
Emsy4

Emsy4

As "slowmotion" put. Easy to do and will end no end of trouble. Or I can do it for you!

te="bobcat, post: 2673524, member: 17709"]As "slowmotion" put. Easy to do and will end no end of trouble. Or I can do it for you![/quote]
Ok I will give it a go but if i fail I'll call my knight in shining armour;)

Top Bottom