Tips for increasing my speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Hello.

Just a year or so ago I was markedly and reliably faster on road cycling routes where I live.
My average speed was usually 16.5, 17, and 18 mph over 20, 30, 40+ mile rides.
I have had two operations in the past 18 months with a month or two out of action.

I need to lose a little weight, but not alot, and i'm over 50 but I really wan't to try and get my speed up.
I do about 100 miles a week, all year round, commuting and a longer ride at weekends, with a few lumps.
My bike is light enough, 8.5-9KG.
I have been using a turbo trainer in winter with Zwift and so of the workouts are pretty good.
I have a speedo/gps on the bars.

I get quite a bit of pain in my legs if I push too hard, so I tend to stay under the pain threshold as much as possible.

I need to figure out a plan of action to try and get some more pace.

Ideas and advice welcome.

PS, I currently just about manage 15 mph average most of the time

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I get quite a bit of pain in my legs if I push too hard, so I tend to stay under the pain threshold as much as possible.

There is your answer. You are fighting aging, pedal harder and/or pedal faster.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
If you're that serious about getting quicker then I would look at getting a bike fit.

Your legs shouldn't be "in quite a bit of pain" on the sorts of rides you're talking about if you're maintaining 15mph average so something needs looking into physiologically.

Sharky

Guru
Mathematically, the only way to go faster is to pedal the same gear at a higher cadence or a bigger gear at the same cadence.

Very difficult to do.

Try reducing the distance to less than 60 mins and try and reach your target speed. Once achieved, you can then start increasing distance.

Good luck

PS it doesn't get any easier when you reach 70+

The one thing i've learnt in the last few years is that maintaining fitness as i get older (now 50) takes more and more effort, improving it is possible (of course) but boy it's tough. If you'v been off the bike for some time then it certainly has an impact on fitness, least it does for me as coming out of Winter i am a lot slower than the back end of Summer. I also use my ave speed on local loops of say 30 to 100km to assess where i am although there's nothing flat here and hills really emphasise my poor fitness:sad:.

I did a 12wk plan over on Training Peaks that i found very helpful, it probably got me to my typical July fitness level by end of March. Whilst i loved the sessions at first they became harder and harder, to the extent that i loathed them towards the end but i did complete them all and felt much better for it. Overall for me it's about training and having a decent plan to build what you need/lack, for me i just lack, legs, lungs and determination :laugh:

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
The one thing i've learnt in the last few years is that maintaining fitness as i get older (now 50) takes more and more effort, improving it is possible (of course) but boy it's tough. If you'v been off the bike for some time then it certainly has an impact on fitness, least it does for me as coming out of Winter i am a lot slower than the back end of Summer. I also use my ave speed on local loops of say 30 to 100km to assess where i am although there's nothing flat here and hills really emphasise my poor fitness:sad:.

I did a 12wk plan over on Training Peaks that i found very helpful, it probably got me to my typical July fitness level by end of March. Whilst i loved the sessions at first they became harder and harder, to the extent that i loathed them towards the end but i did complete them all and felt much better for it. Overall for me it's about training and having a decent plan to build what you need/lack, for me i just lack, legs, lungs and determination :laugh:
Sounds just like me and my situation

Drago

Legendary Member
Get the mileage in. No way around that. Once youre comfortable with that introduce a few speed intervals into your training. Lose thar little bit excess weight. Pay attention to your diet. Do any exercises required overcome your ops, do them dillgently, and push yourself just a bit harder than you really want to go.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Going faster will Initially hurt but it should not be "quite a bit of pain." There's a world of difference between hurting your legs and pain. You should investigate this.

As for going faster? I would argue increasing average speed is quite difficult. Pushing one's speed up on the flat is relatively easy but doing the same on climbs or rolling roads not so easy. Ride further, faster and out of you comfort zone.

First address the pain issue.

D

Deleted member 1258

Hello.

Just a year or so ago I was markedly and reliably faster on road cycling routes where I live.
My average speed was usually 16.5, 17, and 18 mph over 20, 30, 40+ mile rides.
I have had two operations in the past 18 months with a month or two out of action.

I need to lose a little weight, but not alot, and i'm over 50 but I really wan't to try and get my speed up.
I do about 100 miles a week, all year round, commuting and a longer ride at weekends, with a few lumps.
My bike is light enough, 8.5-9KG.
I have been using a turbo trainer in winter with Zwift and so of the workouts are pretty good.
I have a speedo/gps on the bars.

I need to figure out a plan of action to try and get some more pace.

Ideas and advice welcome.

PS, I currently just about manage 15 mph average most of the time

Don't worry about it, your 15mph is faster than my 13.5mph, and a reasonable pace.

CXRAndy

Guru
Most of your riding should be in Zone 2 of heart rate or if you have a power meter zone 2. A common split is 80% zone 2 and 20% high intensity training.
Treat your long rides as steady zone 2 riding with a high cadence 90+rpm. If you can ride 2hrs+ non stop with a fast cadence your cardiovascular engine will improve.
Then throw in some short 1min to 4min high intensity intervals riding, once or twice a week. Have an easier recovery week every fourth week. Listen to your body, rest when tired, don't over train and become fatigued.

Try and find riders who are faster but willing to pace you upto faster speeds instead of dropping you in the first few miles.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you can’t ride faster, ride further and more often unless you want to get into racing? Join a club?

Top Bottom