Tips for my 10mil result. Is it Good/bad ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Newcastle U.K.

The nearest circuit to you is in Middlesbrough, which is a bit of a trek. There's frequently an adult riding session there.

Have a look at the British Cycling HSBC UK Go-Ride North East Facebook page for more information about what's local to you: https://www.facebook.com/NewcastleGoRide/
There's also the non-BC Facebook page as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CDnortheast/560130534027653/

Basically as you're 17 you're classed as a Junior until you are 18. At your age you would be riding on Junior gear restrictions, except for Time Trials when there aren't any, and a 4th Category rider under British Cycling regulations.
There's also the TLI series which was run at Croft near Darlington this year: http://www.tlicycling.org.uk/

There are enough clubs / events near you for you to get involved and see. To do a time trial you will need to be part of an affiliated club, as with many of the other events. That's for the organiser's and other riders confidence that you can ride more than anything.

Stompier

It's not actually clear if the OP even has his own bike (yet)?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
:welcome:

30 min static's OK as a start. You'll probably extend that to 35 min or so on the road with headwind / hills / traffic / etc.

This was my son's almost 2 years ago - 16 min 48, after which he xx( on his brother:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6whjZ_0s3A

This year he did 14 min 50 on the rollers at the age of 14.

As a guideline from indoors to road, his best road time this year was about 21 minutes.

The best way to get used to road racing is to get out there, join a club/local ride and get used to riding at speed. If time-trialling that's solo but still needs miles.

Where was the fan. Oh my, full on roller session at room temperature, without a fan..... call child protection. :whistle:

@DCLane Shoud've taken the mudguards off, maybe gone even faster LOL.
As to tips to the poster @Lucstra , my daughter was a junior TT champion in the 25 and 2nd in the 10 ( 2nd to Alice Barnes who now rides for England) and I have also been trained for a year by a pro . I am a similar weight to you 69kg. As you are young your power could grow quite quickly, a avg of 134watts over 30 mins is a start. When I raced ( CX + MTB) against old farts ( over 50) my Avg FTP was 240 watts ( power over an hour) I came in the top of the bottom half of every race so not the fastest chap . My coach also coached one of the guys who always came in the top 3 all the time.( NB around 60-80 people in the race) He was the same weight as me and his FTP was around the 300.
When my daughter started at 13 she went from barely managing 10 mile to whizzing along int the fast group of our local club within 3 months with a lot of hard work, she did have natural ability but the point being if you train hard you will make fast gains at your age. ( NB average weight of TDF champion is around 69 kilos apparently)

Bill Gates

Talking about performances before you've ridden in anger on the road is a tad premature. Good advice on here is to contact a local club. Every club will have members who will be very happy to take you through getting the right size bike and getting started to what is a fantastic way to exercise and enjoy a healthy pastime. You will learn how to ride in a group and how to get fit etc. If you like it then you will naturally progress into racing. TBH to be a successful racing cyclist you must learn initially how to enjoy it.

Bill Gates

@DCLane Shoud've taken the mudguards off, maybe gone even faster LOL.
As to tips to the poster @Lucstra , my daughter was a junior TT champion in the 25 and 2nd in the 10 ( 2nd to Alice Barnes who now rides for England) and I have also been trained for a year by a pro . I am a similar weight to you 69kg. As you are young your power could grow quite quickly, a avg of 134watts over 30 mins is a start. When I raced ( CX + MTB) against old farts ( over 50) my Avg FTP was 240 watts ( power over an hour) I came in the top of the bottom half of every race so not the fastest chap . My coach also coached one of the guys who always came in the top 3 all the time.( NB around 60-80 people in the race) He was the same weight as me and his FTP was around the 300.
When my daughter started at 13 she went from barely managing 10 mile to whizzing along int the fast group of our local club within 3 months with a lot of hard work, she did have natural ability but the point being if you train hard you will make fast gains at your age. ( NB average weight of TDF champion is around 69 kilos apparently)
My racing days are long gone. But 60-80 riders in a race. There were always 120 riders in a TT full field, with entries getting returned in my day. Is that normal for an open TT?

My racing days are long gone. But 60-80 riders in a race. There were always 120 riders in a TT full field, with entries getting returned in my day. Is that normal for an open TT?
Thats 60-80 in a MTB or CX race, my daughter was the TT'r and the womens opens hardly saw more than a handful. I have only done 4 TT's in my entire life, hated it, I like the immediate competition of someone on your elbow I need to be able to see my competition. Quite a few people now train with power so I am able to do the comparison. After a year of coaching my coach and I came to the conclusion I was a sprinter, if the race had been 30 seconds I might have stood a chance. There's nothing so unfair in sport as genetics.

Bill Gates

Thats 60-80 in a MTB or CX race, my daughter was the TT'r and the womens opens hardly saw more than a handful. I have only done 4 TT's in my entire life, hated it, I like the immediate competition of someone on your elbow I need to be able to see my competition. Quite a few people now train with power so I am able to do the comparison. After a year of coaching my coach and I came to the conclusion I was a sprinter, if the race had been 30 seconds I might have stood a chance. There's nothing so unfair in sport as genetics.
👍

Top Bottom