Tips for riding from Richmond, Surrey to Malaga, Spain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FionaB

Hi I am a leisure tourer and road cyclist living in Richmond in Surrey. I am just planning a long ride from Richmond to Malaga, Spain and I thought this forum may give me some handy tips on the route.
I look forward to chatting some more,
Fiona

U

User32269

:welcome: sounds like a fantastic trip.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Hi I am a leisure tourer and road cyclist living in Richmond in Surrey. I am just planning a long ride from Richmond to Malaga, Spain and I thought this forum may give me some handy tips on the route.
I look forward to chatting some more,
Fiona
Welcome! Planning a little tour myself this year, but not that ambitious! Keep us posted.

So @FionaB, what's your thinking? Ferry across the channel and cycle through France, or a Ferry to Santander and just cycle in Spain?

I've taken my bike on the Dieppe Ferry, it was a painless experience. And quick through customs. The ferry runs around 10am and 10pm, so you either arrive in Dieppe at 2am in the morning, or you have to cycle through the night for the morning ferry. I did that, left at midnight and stopped at Gatwick for a mid ride coffee and panini from the Costa inside the terminal. Across the channel I just nipped across to Paris, so can't really help you there.

That said, I've found strava routes useful for places I don't know, because it shows you the roads the locals use - so here is what it suggests https://www.strava.com/routes/7725688

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

FionaB

Hi jefmcg, thanks for your reply. I'm catching the ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo and then down the west side of France. I have found a good route for that so am happy with that part. It's the Spanish part that i was struggling with. I have now mapped it out the old fashioned way, surrounded by paper maps on the floor. But your strava route looks good. It's almost the same as mine but does give a few small changes which i will work into my plan. The problem i am finding with the spanish roads is that there is no definitive way of telling by the road number whether it's a motorway or not. So this Strava route will really help me. Thanks alot!
Fiona

mmmmartin

Random geezer
@FionaB a quick look at the route on Google Streetview will show you if the road is a motorway. Also you can set Google maps to give you a route set to cycling, and that will avoid motorways.
I suggest you take a used GPS unit and work out your route in the comfort of home and follow the GPS while actually riding. OSMAnd maps are excellent.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
I just hope you have good climbing legs and gears...
The route after Almogia already in Máalaga has some nasty climbs... Not long but tough in any long ride.. You will have already 1950 km on your legs by the time you get there...

I am in Malaga.. A small town some 25 km from it.. Love it here.. When you are here if you need some pointer where to go I can give you some..

All the best and please let us know how things go..

The problem i am finding with the spanish roads is that there is no definitive way of telling by the road number whether it's a motorway or not.

If it helps - I've just added Spanish traffic data to the cycle.travel route-planner (http://cycle.travel/map). The idea is that it keeps you off the busy roads but will route you along quieter roads, even if they have an N- number. A lot of Spanish N- roads have been bypassed by autovias (motorways) in recent years so are actually now pretty quiet. Hope it'll be of some use.

si_c

Guru
If it helps - I've just added Spanish traffic data to the cycle.travel route-planner (http://cycle.travel/map). The idea is that it keeps you off the busy roads but will route you along quieter roads, even if they have an N- number. A lot of Spanish N- roads have been bypassed by autovias (motorways) in recent years so are actually now pretty quiet. Hope it'll be of some use.
Marvelous :smile:

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Still some of them are really busy and I would avoid them if possible..

Top Bottom