Tips on Emergency Braking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Practicing emergency stops on the hoods has shown me that I can't stop as fast as if I'm in the drops, (which is why I always take to the drops when filtering, etc). But that said I can still stop very hard on the hoods, my hand position is a kind of handshake of the hood, where it is comfortable and natural to rest my first 2 fingers on the brake lever, two fingers on the brake produces the best stopping power.

Having said that I can't stop as fast on the hoods because I can't generate the same force by squeezing closer to the pivot as I can further away from the pivot in the drops, I have remembered that I managed to get my roadbike up on the front wheel from the hoods when a girl ran infront of the car I was following - so with a good dose of oh-f*ck-I'm-a-gonner to strengthen the fingers I managed a full stop. Still, I'd rather have been in the drops!

gbb

Legendary Member
bonj said:
Hmm...yes, I've always known since I was taught to drive that covering the brakes is a good idea, and have applied it to cycling aswell.
Just another q though, can you actually do a reasonable emergency stop when holding the 'hoods'? Is it not tricky - I would have thought you end up having to leave only your thumb on the actual top of the hoods? since you presumably need more than one finger to pull the brakes hard enough?[/QUOTE]

In short, yes.

I never ride on the drops....never. My earlier description of an e/stop i had to carry out was with hands round the hoods.
Perhaps it depends on the person...my grip is good and strong and i had no problem locking the back up...much to my fright at the time.
As you say Bonj, i always ride with only my thumb round the hood.

buddha

Veteran
I'm grateful to have read this thread earlier and picked up a few tips.

As I have just managed to miss hitting the boot of a police car by two inches!
Four bobbies, squashed like sardines in a Metro, chatting amongst themselves. And the driver decides to hit the brakes hard on the exit of a fast roundabout for no apparent reason. The driver behind me had to swerve to avoid hitting me.

Although the driver of the police car did pop his head out of the window and apologise. I waved back and (muttered) "Be more careful next time":biggrin:. And made my escape.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Locking the rear up is not hard, and is no test of braking ability. For emergency braking you need to be able to brake to the point of lifting the rear wheel in the dry. I'm also a fan of being able to slide the rear wheel around under control when necessary. Not that I'm very good at it, but it's saved me and kept me upright a few times when something has gone wrong.

Top Bottom