1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips to Make Yourself Visible

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by united4ever, 24 Nov 2017.

1. Reiver

Reiver Whistling down the hills, tearing up the climbs

not really, you and others are going against the advice of the highway code, show me where the highway code is wrong

I am not telling anyone to make themselves easier to be seen, but defending my right to follow the advice of the highway code and make an effort to be seen by other road users, why is that not OK with you ?

2. Adrian

Adrian Heed the elf's wisdom

The highway code is wrong because it is written from a carcentric viewpoint.

theclaud, mjr and GrumpyGregry like this.
  3. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Easily shown: Rule 59 is wrong and was introduced without any evidence - I think in 1993, under another number.

If you want to do it because you're blindly following the highway code, then that's OK - what's not OK is to pretend that Major's government introducing it or Blair's government keeping it in the last code edition necessarily means it's safer or backed by sound evidence.

theclaud likes this.
  4. mjr

Indeed! The Blair government initially only invited motoring organisations into the drafting process for the last revision. The cycling organisations had to do a lot of lobbying even to get cycling concerns heard and get the few changes they did - I think the rules about cycle facilities (61-63) initially lacked the "where practicable" and similar qualifications and were basically back to the 1940s highway code's "if there is a cycle track - use it". It's high time to rip it up and start again, putting humans first.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESy-Z8vqMrE

5. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry More gruff than grumpy

It is entirely ok with me for you to defend your right to do as you please. Our debate, and this is by no means the first time this debate has featured on cc, will live on long after we've agreed to differ. Hence
    Why do I do that? Specifically in relation to dress and lights, because

and, generally, in relation to cycling on UK roads, because
    The Highway code contains motor-centric advice from a bunch of motor-centrists.

boydj, theclaud, mjr and 1 other person like this.
  6. mjr

Before anyone claims that something must be safe to get into the highway code, please remember that http://highwaycode.info/rule/187 still to this day includes "give plenty of room to [...] cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout" :crazy:

7. GrumpyGregry

Turing right at a roundabout from the left hand lane when driving has become the norm in these parts. A small amount of official sanction becomes an informal blanket arrangement. upload_2017-12-7_12-42-46.png

Last edited: 7 Dec 2017
  8. theclaud

theclaud It's teeceegawnmaaaad

It's also often encouraged by cycling infrastructure.

9. GrumpyGregry

It is 'kin' terrifying is what it is, esp. when coupled with the West Sussex indicator boycott.

theclaud likes this.
  10. theclaud

theclaud It's teeceegawnmaaaad

I don't think that is confined to W. Sussex!

11. GrumpyGregry

I have been told twice, once as a rider in conflict with a driver, and once as a passenger in a car, having one of "those" conversations with the driver, that indicators aren't needed when turning right from the left most lane as the filter markings make indicating redundant. In an ahead or turn right filter lane. What the actual!

Last edited: 7 Dec 2017
    theclaud likes this.
  12. stoatsngroats

stoatsngroats Veteran

I think that road position is as important as lights and hi vis additions, but your incident could have occurred whilst wearing hi vis, and displaying lights, it’s not apparent what you had when you were hit from your post.
    Road position will not automatically mean you are guaranteed to be safe, it appears to make a difference when I cycle, because by taking a primary position, I aim to be visible. I use lights in the daytime, and occasionally hi vis, if I deem this necessary on my chosen route, and consider weather conditions and lighting too.
    I think an increase in visible additions to be necessary at least some of the time, although in country lanes yellow can get a little lost in the view.
    Multi coloured clothing can help at times too.
    Having driven a variety of HGVs, as well as cars and trains, hi vis is very effective generally, but not always. A man dressed in Cat 3 hi vis, if not standing in a visible place, may as well be hidden, and he needs to consider what will be in the background of driver approaching. This consideration should be paramount for us as cyclist as we traverse through our chosen routes.
    Lights will always be a good addition, but, if the scenery blends with your chosen apparel, maybe best to get off and walk in a safe place for a few yards, rather than risk a possible close pass or worse.
    Drivers, as we might all agree, have minds which wander sometimes, and it’s not always the careless, drunk, distracted or limited vision ones which cause accidents.
    Be safe!

13. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

Do not forget to wear black or dark colours to make yourself hi vis in the snow tomorrow

classic33 and raleighnut like this.
  14. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

yk046_black_ft.jpg

classic33 likes this.
  15. odav

odav (';')

I attempted to be visible last night in a Nissan Micra. Lights on in a floodlit car park. A guy got into his car with a young lad and began to reverse, as he got closer and closer to my stationary car, I blasted the horn. He stopped briefly, then just reversed into me!
    Thankfully, he had a reasonable explanation for hitting my illuminated car whilst I was blasting the horn to warn him of my presence.
    "Sorry mate, I was sort of looking the other way."

This has helped reinforce my long held belief that if I wrapped myself in Blackpool illuminations whilst towing a speaker on my bike blasting out AC-DC at 11 on the dial, some gobsh1te would SMIDSY me.

Blue Hills, glasgowcyclist and jefmcg like this.