Tips to Make Yourself Visible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
Not just at night but generally things that will get drivers to see you in a low sun or coming down the road. Hi viz obviously, flashing lights even on a bright day? got knocked off last month at a roundabout because the driver couldn't see me in the low sun. ordered a new bike today but trying to think of ways to mitigate the risk. Going to try to get more accessories in yellow or orange and have my lights flashing day or night. Anything else without turning myself into blackpool illuminations :smile:

it doesn't make any difference. All the while drivers readily go into places where they cannot see - and they do, you will have no chance if you are there. The only option is not to be in those situations through awareness.

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
yeah....thats the trouble...even if you cycle perfectly you have no control over other drivers.

Probably the best step I will take is to extend the off road portion of my ride which is on a canal towpath. There are still a few dodgy roads to get onto it that cannot avoid though:sad:

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
gonna use the flash on my light every day too.

Slick

Guru
I genuinely believe in all my near misses and indeed my actual being hit I had been seen perfectly well but driver misjudged or in one case drove at me.
I agree. This morning I made eye contact with a driver coming onto a roundabout I was preparing to exit, she just floored it and came on narrowly missing me and doing that thing they do trying desperately not to look at me but stare straight ahead with a death grip on the wheel. I think she also got flustered by the experience as she came on in the left hand lane and went right round the roundabout coming off in the fast lane.:eek:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Me at London to Brighton Overnight! (Pretty effective reflectives).
June 2014 part 3 007.jpg

I didn't really care how I looked as long as I was seen, but the chequered helmet band may have been a step too far. Riding through Brixton after midnight was an experience. On a couple of separate occasions people shouted "Rozzer!" as I approached unruly crowds of drunks!

Top Bottom