Tips to Make Yourself Visible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I got hit even though I had 2 very bright Hope Vision 1's. Lights don't make a blind bit of difference if the driver isn't paying attention, low sun or not.
Indeed
I had my lights on in day time on a white bike, white gilet, white helmet, reflectives,
Driver told the police i should wear more bright stuff.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I've long hated the visibility arms race, but a few things are converging to make it especially urgent that we halt this madness and start to rein in the Space Lemon™ tendency - firstly the insane brightness of many of the lights now available to commuting cyclists, and secondly the likelihood that the rise of autonomous vehicles will take the form of attempting to create an even more highly-controlled road environment. Retro-reflectives look set to be a big part of this - I liked them at first because they seemed to me to be bucking the yellow high-vis trend and placing the responsibility for seeing what's in one's path on the person charging around with the glaring headlights. I've even got a Pro-Viz 360 jacket, which I liked because it's silvery and inconspicuous except under the lights of approaching vehicles, when it retorts 'Don't even think about pretending not to see me, m**********r.' However I'm going to ditch it once the current winter is out and become more resolutely ninja and lighting-minimalist again. As @mjr says, it's about existing, and demanding that the operators of more dangerous on-road machinery acknowledge your existence.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Not just at night but generally things that will get drivers to see you in a low sun or coming down the road. Hi viz obviously, flashing lights even on a bright day? got knocked off last month at a roundabout because the driver couldn't see me in the low sun. ordered a new bike today but trying to think of ways to mitigate the risk. Going to try to get more accessories in yellow or orange and have my lights flashing day or night. Anything else without turning myself into blackpool illuminations :smile:
Hi viz doth offend mine eye

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On my ride today I passed a group of cyclists, about 7 or 8 of them, everyone of them covered in yellow custard clothing.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've long hated the visibility arms race, but a few things are converging to make it especially urgent that we halt this madness and start to rein in the Space Lemon™ tendency - firstly the insane brightness of many of the lights now available to commuting cyclists, and secondly the likelihood that the rise of autonomous vehicles will take the form of attempting to create an even more highly-controlled road environment. Retro-reflectives look set to be a big part of this - I liked them at first because they seemed to me to be bucking the yellow high-vis trend and placing the responsibility for seeing what's in one's path on the person charging around with the glaring headlights. I've even got a Pro-Viz 360 jacket, which I liked because it's silvery and inconspicuous except under the lights of approaching vehicles, when it retorts 'Don't even think about pretending not to see me, m**********r.' However I'm going to ditch it once the current winter is out and become more resolutely ninja and lighting-minimalist again. As @mjr says, it's about existing, and demanding that the operators of more dangerous on-road machinery acknowledge your existence.
I refuse to compromise and act as it somehow it is my responsibility to protect myself from the knobjockey drivers who aren't looking.

Slick

Guru
I refuse to compromise and act as it somehow it is my responsibility to protect myself from the knobjockey drivers who aren't looking.
Yeah, it's everyone else's, right?

With all the moderating that's currently going on, why is "knobjockey" not on the list of banned words?

couldn't see me in the low sun. [..] Going to try to get more accessories in yellow or orange
I'm not sure the best way to deal with the low sun is to dress in sunset camouflage colours :wacko:

I believe the research shows the colour of kit, other than black, doesn’t make much difference but one single block of colour does.

As this is a safety issue and people might take action based on what they read here, I think we should take responsibility to only quote research we are certain exists.
I also have two reflective bands around each of my calves (just above ankles) as I figure a constantly moving reflector is more noticeable than a stationary one

There is research to back this idea up.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/r...ne-like-a-beacon-at-night-20101016-16odw.html

Top Bottom