Tire size change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Porknz

New to biking and I only know the tires my bike came with. They are Terevail Sparwoods. Unfortunately Terevail says they don't have any Sparwoods and it's going to be a while before they do. I'm looking at the Terevail Washburn, which probably makes more sense for me since I ride almost all road and no gravel, but they are slightly smaller tires, and I'm not sure what difference it might make. Sparwoods are 27.5 x 21, and the Washburns are 47mm. Any thoughts on changing sizes?

Thanks.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Presume you mean 2.1 in which case 47mm isn’t all that much narrower and sound like they will be fine, especially for more road oriented use.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Slightly different size shouldn’t make any difference. At $60 each they’re not cheap and don’t appear to have any puncture resistance measures. I’d also look at what Schwalbe have to offer. One user posted this on their (Teravail) site:
“Since using this product for less than 3 months (600 miles) on road and compact gravel I have got over 8 punctures. Very disappointed with them as expected them to be more resilient and suitable for compact gravel.”

Their Marathon models are well thought of on here and offer a good price/performance ratio as well as puncture resistance.

Attachments

• F4FF452E-3001-449B-A3B6-07BEC9B61011.png
    F4FF452E-3001-449B-A3B6-07BEC9B61011.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I have Schwalbe Marathon Supremes on my hybrid. Highly recommend them. Decent puncture protection but without being quite as heavy and slow rolling as the full on Marathon Plus.

si_c

Guru
Worth looking at other brands of tyre too, not heard of Terevail before, but WTB come highly recommended. Something like the WTB Horizon would be a great choice given you rarely ride anything other than road - a much slicker tyre despite similar overall sizing (650b x 47mm).

jdh72

Regular
I'd consider sizing up to max out what your frame and forks can take esp if you ride off road.

Ive found teravail are well undersized by a few mm. My Sparwood 2.2s measured under 50mm inflated.

Top Bottom