Tire Sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rob andrew

Feel pretty dumb asking this, but...

Can I put a 25mm tire on a wheel off a new road bike which came with 23mm tires?

Or, put another way, what is the biggest tire I can fit onto a wheel which came with a 23mm tire?

Obviously I understand there will be limits due to the brake calipers etc. My question refers more to the wheel itself..

Want to swap kenda koncepts 23mm for continental gatorskins 25mm.

Cheers!

the rims themselves will probably be able to take 28 or even 32-35mm tyres - but you will ultimately be limited by the clearance available on whatever bike you have...

Brommyboy

Über Member
The original recommendation was for the tyre to be no more than 1.5x the inner rim width. For a 13mm rim, this would have been 20mm. However, some MTB rims of that width are fitted with 2.25" tyres! You will find that the limiting is done generally by the frame clearance, which should allow for mud clearance too if you use mudguards.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Have you checked on the wheel itself? My latest purchase had a little sticker stating that it was 28-35c. Just a thought.

OP
OP
rob andrew

rob andrew

Just had a look, no stickers unfortunately! Also, flat tire! Just goes to prove that I really will need a thicker tire. Can anyone recommend something that is suitable? Ideally as indestructible and un-puncturable as possible!

OP
OP
rob andrew

rob andrew

sorry yes, should have made intended usage clear...

i intend these tyres to be used for relatively light touring purposes (on a road bike). 12kg luggage approx??

I only weigh 75kg myself.

tempted by the 28mm on the rear tire, but unsure as to whether it would fit.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
What bike is it? You say light touring - if the frame has rack mounts /mudguard eyes it is likely to have reasonable clearance - 25 mm would be no problem, unless you have a race frame with minimal fork/chain stay clearance. You could always measure the clearance.

OP
OP
rob andrew

rob andrew

it is a viking torino..
don't think many people have one/know about them. the clearance does look fairly minimal, especially on the front, inbetween the forks. around 5mm either side of the wheel

OP
OP
rob andrew

rob andrew

currently having a real job getting said rear tyre off the rim, feel like such a noob! jeez. taken many tyres off before, but this is ridiculous.

Top Bottom