Tired Muscles Killing My Biking Fun ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello All,:smile:

I'm suffering with tired muscles all the time which means I cannot get out on weekends for some high speed full out biking to put a smile on my face. I do approx 5 miles bike commuting( single speed ) and between 10 -15 miles on my feet running ,jogging and walking each day at work. I eat nearly a veggie diet and get approx 8 hours sleep a night. How can I improve this ? More protein ? what do you think ??

Many Thanks

Badger.Brad Dudley West Midlands England :smile:

longers

Legendary Member
Are you getting enough rest to let your muscles repair themselves between your bouts of activity? ie rest days not rest hours?

Are you doing any/enough stretching?

Bigtallfatbloke

I am probably wronmg here but dont we use different muscle groups for cycling than we do for running/walking? perhaps your cycling needs to be increased somewhat so as to build the cycling muscle groups more...that way those muscles wont ache and it'll be more fun. I rode 110km a day + every day for the last two weeks in germany with a fully loaded tour bike and not once did my legs ache...I then tried to walk the dog around the park when i got home and OMG did i suffer!...my walking /running muscles are probably non exisitant...maybe your situatio is th eopposite of mine?

...ok...you can all tell me my theory is carp now:biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Your Ideas

Hello again all,:biggrin:

All of your ideas seem to make sense, I don't get any rest days 5 taken up with the running,jogging and walking with my job + 2.5 miles either way to work 10 mins one way (not a lot for my cycling muscles). Then I Cycle the weekend for leisure/transport (I hate the car). I don't do any stretching generally using the ride to work as a warm up for work.

I don't really have much choice with the rest day/days but of course can alter the other things. Anyone know where I can get info on the stretching ?

Many Thanks.

Badger.Brad Dudley West Midlands
:?::becool::tongue::becool:

Bodhbh

Guru
I found my communting runs tended to do this. They are faster than my normal runs and didn't have a proper warm up or cool down (always chasing the clock ofc). Enjoy them but restrict them to 2-3 times a week and walk/bus it rest of time so can enjoy the weekend runs without being stiff. Suppose could take it easy on the commutes too, but it's easier saying than doing.

domtyler

Über Member
You say you're a vegetarian and then go on to wonder why you have no energy and are constantly tired!!! :biggrin:

Blonde

Spin smaller gears with higher cadance generally, but especially toward the end of a hilly or long ride, when you could change into what feels like a slightly too-small gear and spin gently (just keep legs 'tickling' the pedals with no effort) to warm down. If you are only ever riding S/S try using a larger cog. Stretch afterward (not before). Try a recovery protein drink after longer rides.

philr

nutrition plays an important part also.

try and get a little more protein in you, and good quality carbs post cycle ride, all should aid recovery. but as already said body grows and re-builds during rest periods so take the odd day off from cycling.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
You say you're a vegetarian and then go on to wonder why you have no energy and are constantly tired!!! :tongue:

ahhh that old cheestnut, vegetarian myself do 350K+ a week. Its all about a balanced diet..........

MessenJah

Rider
I'm vegan and somehow I manage to do 150+ miles a week without any trouble (and that's just work miles). But technically the lack of animal products in my diet means I should have no energy and feel constantly tired, yes?

I wonder if Mac Danzig feels the same when he's beating up meat-eaters.

Top Bottom