Tiredness the day after bigger effort rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was curious about this topic as twice now i've been much more tired than usual the day after a bigger effort ride. Any decent effort ride reminds me the next day of what i was doing the day before, but usually stiffer legs, lower back etc and all that eases up during the course of the day. In this case it was slightly different in that the following day i felt very tired (could of just gone to sleep) in the afternoon and just zonked out later that evening which is something i never do. Wondered if i was coming down with something but otherwise i feel absolutely fine so ruled that out and it did remind me that i was pretty much the same on a previous occasion which was also the day after a bigger effort ride. I know it's hard to judge without knowing fitness, energy and effort levels but was interested to see if this is something common ?

Or is it all just an excuse as i'm getting older:laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Quite normal. You may not have re-fuelled properly after too. I can be stiff as a board after a long MTB ride - really stiffens up my back, but I've got half a vertebrae missing following an accident - usually OK on most rides, but when the less frequent long ones happen, I'm stiff.

Sharky

Guru
When I was young and club runs used to be all day rides, I'd often suffer the next day(s) and find even walking down stairs very painful.
As you get used to the effort and distance, the after affects get less.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
I wondered about the post ride eating as i was just back in time for lunch but had just a regular amount of food/calories although i did eat well on the ride itself (that's been a mistake i used to make, now corrected).

Thursday is my next ride out so plenty of rest in-between.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
When I was young and club runs used to be all day rides, I'd often suffer the next day(s) and find even walking down stairs very painful.

The opening 4 words confirmed my thinking about myself:laugh: the stiffness is fine and always goes after some time, no issues. It's more the tiredness i was curious about.

I've probably been doing mainly shorter rides and perhaps this was an extra effort and hence sapped my energy ? maybe it was OK on the ride as i had plenty of food but afterwards as fossyant said perhaps not enough recovery food, i'm off to make a bacon and egg sarnie but without bread:ohmy:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
I think that's what it is, a lack of endurance fitness (stamina ?) By Wednesday this week i was pretty much OK but Monday and Tuesday i was much more tired than usual, can only assume it was due to that extra effort.

CXRAndy

Guru
Good nutrition, enough calories, not too much and adequate rest, especially if you're getting into your mid to late 50's and beyond.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Hit 50 last week, it's probably that:laugh: that's my excuse anyway.....

I'm thinking it was just that extra distance/effort etc that took it's tole, need to build up more.

Hit 50 last week, it's probably that:laugh: that's my excuse anyway.....

I'm thinking it was just that extra distance/effort etc that took it's tole, need to build up more.
Yep! Longer rides are tough when you hit middle age, though it is all about stamina conditioning. I am trying to build up 30, 40, 50 milers over the summer, but gradually does it ^_^

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Yep trying to build up my climbing speed and endurance although the 2nd one is tough when you're time poor. Hopefully i'll get out of bed early enough tomorrow AM to get some decent KM's in

CXRAndy

Guru
Autumn/winter, I have spent in the past, 2-3 months with indoor turbo sessions, using Trainer Road, endurance workouts, building upto 3 hours non stop pedalling, high cadence, zone 2 power sessions. I would do these 4 times a week. I would eventually have a fitness where my HR would track power effort and not drift too much upward.

With this fitness I could go to Tenerife and cycle 4-8 hours every day for a week, doing 3-4 hour climbs up Mt Teide. Yes I was tired but not shattered from the week in Tenerife.

You just need to put in consistent cycle work to build endurance.

I would eat like a horse:hungry:, sleep like a baby each night from 9pm till 6.30am ready for the next day

Oh and I'm in my mid 50's

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
you know when you had a hard workout session if you have to come downstairs on your bum as you cant bend your legs enough to walk down , in the days of being a gym bunny ;)

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yep! Longer rides are tough when you hit middle age, though it is all about stamina conditioning. I am trying to build up 30, 40, 50 milers over the summer, but gradually does it ^_^
Sorry I'd have to disagree with the point re middle-age - when this begins being moot point. Our GP surgery doesn't consider people old till 80+ - it's the local demographic which creates this.

Back to the point. The group I mainly ride with are 64-73, I'm 66. We regularly knock out 100+ rides and would go for a 30 mile recovery the next day. The majority of our club members are 45-50 years and older and most are very capable of 70/80 mile rides and more - these are riders who at best get out Tuesday evening for a 30 miler followed by 70+ on a Sunday.

Age really has nothing to do with it.

Top Bottom