Titanium bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

I've since bought a Mason Definition (alloy) for half the price of the Enigma and couldn't be happier - the attention to detail and the standard of finish are exemplary and it beats the Enigma hands down on every count. Mason are working on a titanium version, the Aspect, with a very slightly tweaked geometry for long distance comfort, available soon - I've been told the framest will be £3k. The finish is bead blasted, the same as the Ti Bokeh they are now producing. Mason say this stress relieves the metal but I think it does make for a rather less robust finish than brushed, which can have marks polished out quite easily. I could be persuaded though! All their frames have multi-ports for a myriad of internal cabling options, again something the Enigma doesn't - ugly zip ties holding external cables on a high end frame is not a good look. As for the ride of the Mason, to be honest I don't perceive much difference in the comfort level between the Van Nicholas and the Mason - on rough tarmac the VN probably edges it but only just ...

Another happy Mason owner here. I'd just add that customer support is fantastic. Send off an email and you often get a response within a few minutes from Dom Mason.

Three riders in tcr#5 are on Masons.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
A 3k frameset is too much though

I don't know what your last comment means, presumably something about pro cycling

U

User169

A 3k frameset is too much though

I don't know what your last comment means, presumably something about pro cycling

Fair enough on costs. You've got to draw the line somewhere. I think @New Horizon s point was more that he got Ti performance out of an alloy bike. But if you need to scratch that Ti itch!

[Diversion alert: tcr is "transcontinental', a 4000km unsupported race from Belgium to Greece. It started at 10pm on Friday and this is the fifth edition. It's basically super hardcore audax and certainly isn't a pro-race.

I'd guess you need something that is a good compromise between fast and comfy. It's been "won" three times on steel (each time on a Jaegher) and once on an alloy Mason!]

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Very little time to go anywhere now on a weekday before March and few of these small places seem to open Saturday which is fair enough

Neither the Burls nor Triton sites actually give any useful details of what they produce

Last edited:

avsd

Guru
I have bought a custom frame from Jason (Burls). Very happy with the end product and would not hesitate recommending him. He will do disc brakes. I based on Belfast so dealt via email and phone. He is based in near Harwich, Essex

Last edited:
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
It's the key difference between a custom build and a stock model - Vickster wants to ride a demo, so Burls isn't an option for him.
Him who?

If you mean me, no I won't spend £3k+ without a good try out of the frame at least. I wont find an example with my chosen group and brakeset unfortunately

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
If you are going to gender someone, spend a second clicking their username to be sure.

But didn't "vickster" clue you in? Which male names abbreviate to "Vickster"?
I suppose the male version of the far more common female version ;)

Top Bottom