Titanium bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
My 520 reynolds steel fixie has much more spring, comfort & 'life' in it (Jamie's sputnik £399 for the whole bike)

And there lies the rub. I like Ti for the looks and the longevity, but I’ve not yet ridden a Ti frame* that’s as nice to ride as a good steel frame.

*I’ve had Raleigh, On-One, Omega, Enigma and Kinesis Ti frames.

Edit - I’m seriously considering selling my Kinesis Gran Fondo as I tend to pick my 853 framed Kona or Tange Prestige framed Charge over it.

Last edited:

Multicyclist

Regular
And there lies the rub. I like Ti for the looks and the longevity, but I’ve not yet ridden a Ti frame* that’s as nice to ride as a good steel frame.

*I’ve had Raleigh, On-One, Omega, Enigma and Kinesis Ti frames.

(By the way. My earlier post meant to read Jamis Sputnik. Not Jamie's!) The ADX is the only ti bike i'v ever ridden (except a 90's Raleigh mtb) I'v always loved the ride feel of steel frames & had read time & time again that ti was a lighter longer lasting version of a steel frame... Was torn between a quality steel frame (Shand was high up the list) But i'v done steel many times before, so Went ti ... Yay!! So. I agree with you completely based on my ADX... Steel next time!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Oh dear, that sounds similar to my current attitude towards the ADX. I'm currently in the 'swap bits' phase to see if I can make myself like it!
changed mine to a flatbar 1x11 with hydraulic brakes, chucked on some cx tyres and it now looks a beast that i love to ride.........i'm even putting together a XT Di2 groupset to go on it

20171119_200649.jpg

Multicyclist

Regular
changed mine to a flatbar 1x11 with hydraulic brakes, chucked on some cx tyres and it now looks a beast that i love to ride.........i'm even putting together a XT Di2 groupset to go on it

View attachment 384104

Looks great set up like that. I'm sticking with drop bars because I have arthritis in my thumbs & really struggle with the thumb shifters on my flatbar mountainbikes (after a few miles) may take the Ultegra off the Dolan & upgrade my Focus Cayo 105 roadie bike with it, then put the tired 105 on the Dolan & some cx tyres, if it's ok in that role I may retire my 9yr old Kona Jake cx bike (it's been superb-love that old thing)

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Looks great set up like that. I'm sticking with drop bars because I have arthritis in my thumbs & really struggle with the thumb shifters on my flatbar mountainbikes (after a few miles) may take the Ultegra off the Dolan & upgrade my Focus Cayo 105 roadie bike with it, then put the tired 105 on the Dolan & some cx tyres, if it's ok in that role I may retire my 9yr old Kona Jake cx bike (it's been superb-love that old thing)
Go with a di2 set-up with flat bars and then you can use climbing shifters placed under the bars and use fingers and not thumbs for gears

Multicyclist

Regular
Go with a di2 set-up with flat bars and then you can use climbing shifters placed under the bars and use fingers and not thumbs for gears

Really? Do you know, I never thought of that. Of course. There's no need to press an electrical button hard like mechanical is there? Great idea, thanks! Gonna let the dust settle from the hit of buying the Dolan (2 months ago) before any more bike 'investments' my wife is very tolerant, but i'v just bought wheels for the cx this month & don't want to push my luck!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Aaargh...there's a Ti bike I'm interested in, a very good price for what it is. However, it's not quite the right spec - I'd need to get some more heavily spoked wheels built, add some cross levers, lose the black tape :whistle:, maybe change to a SRAM groupset etc. More the issue is it's hundreds of miles away so I'd need to take a punt and get it delivered without seeing or trying out...I'm sure it's the right size and would be a good Ti starter. I'm sure if for whatever reason I need to sell on, I'd get (most of) my money back come springtime

I do have the money so that's not the main consideration...more like indecision...I've been mulling it over for a couple of months now!

It's also winter, so although I am riding, I'm tending just to use the Boardman for pottering around.

However, the year is nearly to a close and I've not bought a new (to me) bike this year!! :ohmy:

Double aaargh :wacko:

I may come across as an engineer in saying this but could you compare geometries of those bikes you like with the one you're interested in and see if that would confirm fit for you.

The other decisions are then a result of weighing up the cost of components vs a new build. Whilst I'm with you on sram being better than Shimano, it's not such a difference to make me not get a bike. Could you live with not exact spec?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I may come across as an engineer in saying this but could you compare geometries of those bikes you like with the one you're interested in and see if that would confirm fit for you.

The other decisions are then a result of weighing up the cost of components vs a new build. Whilst I'm with you on sram being better than Shimano, it's not such a difference to make me not get a bike. Could you live with not exact spec?

Yes, probably as long as I can add crosslevers to the bars. I simply can't brake effectively from the hoods with 105 (I have them with SRAM too as I like the more upright position when riding and braking in traffic). I'm sure I can live with it, not like it's a bad groupset

I've just compared the geo to my Genesis, they look pretty similar on the key measurements. Seller is a similar height to me so should all be ok

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I reckon it's worth a punt if the price is right & you are not going to lose (much) money should you decide to sell it :okay: Normally a buyers market for bikes at this time of year ^_^

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I reckon it's worth a punt if the price is right & you are not going to lose (much) money should you decide to sell it :okay: Normally a buyers market for bikes at this time of year ^_^
Nope, this full bike will in reality cost less than a frameset (even a used one)
It has decent wheels which should sell fine, just not for me as a big lump who will likely add panniers too

It's a big leap into the unknown to buy a bike "sight unseen". I've done that, and fortunately it's worked out very well for me.

If it's a good price, and looks to be the right proportions, and it's possible to recover most of the money if you need to sell it on due to not fitting, then it's worth going for. If you don't, it'll mean you having to spend even more money on a new bike.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep agreed...ah but that titanium scratch needs itching

Just need to sort a travel insurance claim first

Top Bottom