Titanium Build: Help me spec and build up this bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
I have wanted a titanium bike for a few years and have managed to get what I believe to be a good deal on a used Laverack r.jack Ti frame and forks.
I saw the laverack guys at the bike show for the last 2 years and fell in love with the look and styling of the bikes, BUT i couldn't justify spending around £4k-£5k on a bike no matter how good it is..

So, i've found myself in a lucky position in that i've been able to get the frame for a reasonable cost and have most of the components to come over from my old bike. However there are a few that I need / want to replace.

Here's the list of what i'm keeping from the old bike and putting onto the new one.

1. Sram Red eTap wifli (cassette, mechs, shifters, chain - Rim brake version) this is the main reason i've stuck with a rim braked bike and not gone to disc.
2. Specialized aerofly carbon handle bars
3. Carbon seatpost

What I need/want to replace are the following.

1. Current bike had a Hollowgram SiSi chanset that I dont believe will fit the Hollowtech II bottom bracket in the new frame. I think i'm going to replace this with either an ultegra or 105 chainset but am open to options. Needs to be a semi compact 52/36

2. SRAM Force caliper brakes (form mount) I dont necessarily need to replace these but i think I want to run 28mm tyres so I dont think they have the tyre clearance. I've read Dura Ace 9000/9100 work fine with SRAM eTap shifters and have the extra clearance for 28mm tyres

3. Prologo Saddle that is Red and Black.. the red wont go so the saddle needs to change,

4. WHEELS - again, these don't need to change but whilst i'm building this up, why not.. I currently have 2 sets of wheels, my main set are Campagnolo Zonda's I'm not sure if these will take 28mm tyres or not. The other set is Vision Team 35 (35mm deep) I've not used these as they were my sons but only had about 500 miles on them. I'm thinking about going 28mm and tubeless with a pair of Hunt Aero wheels.. thoughts?

Things to remember, the forks are quick release and not thruaxel
The budget is around £600-£800

So, what would you do / buy to complete the build?

This is the bike all built up from a stock google image. As for my riding, nothing fancy. Its a club run weekend bike, rides are typically around 50 miles with the very occasional longer sportif type ride up to 100 miles. I'm 37, fairly fit and we have some lumpy ground around here in Birmingham with some short but steep climbs so whilst this is never going to be a light carbon bike, I also dont want it to weigh a ton..

1591954842231.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You should get 28mm on the rims no issues, and probably under the calipers. Not a fan of SRimano mixing - why not a Red chainset or force if going cheaper.

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
You should get 28mm on the rims no issues, and probably under the calipers. Not a fan of SRimano mixing - why not a Red chainset or force if going cheaper.

I agree regarding the chainset, but it has a hollowtech II bottom bracket and I dont think the SRAM stuff works with hollowtech does it ?

Ajax Bay

Guru
have managed to get what I believe to be a good deal on a used Laverack r.jack Ti frame and forks
. . .
[bits] budget is around £600-£800
:laugh::laugh:
Make a list and cost each item, roughly, including items you already have.
I am in the same boat (used Lynskey frameset arrived this morning, also QR axle but disc not rim brakes) but my aspirations and budget are rather less than your panoramic scope.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
:laugh::laugh:
Make a list and cost each item, roughly, including items you already have.
I am in the same boat (used Lynskey frameset arrived this morning) but my aspirations and budget are rather less than your panoramic scope.

yeh the budget is only that high due to the wheels to be honest.. I wouldnt spend that much on everything else.. and I could get away with not upgrading the wheels.. but why not :smile:

I may however stick with the vision wheels, depending on what everything else costs

si_c

Guru
Which bottom bracket does the frame have? I would have thought it was a standard BSA threaded shell. If thats the case you may be able to get a BSA30 BB to allow you to use the Hollowtech Crankset. It would also mean you could use a SRAM Red crankset if you prefer.

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Which bottom bracket does the frame have? I would have thought it was a standard BSA threaded shell. If thats the case you may be able to get a BSA30 BB to allow you to use the Hollowtech Crankset. It would also mean you could use a SRAM Red crankset if you prefer.
Yes The frame is threaded.

current bike has a press fit BB which gets creaky from time to time. Is the BSA30 better ?

I'll admit, BB's and chainsets really confuse me.. so many different variables...

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Yes The frame is threaded.

current bike has a press fit BB which gets creaky from time to time. Is the BSA30 better ?

BSA30 is just the threaded standard which allows you to fit BB30a cranksets into a BSA threaded shell.

BSA threaded shells are slightly more flexible than press fit bottom brackets in terms of the cranksets they will let you use but understanding which is the one you need can be a bit of a nightmare sometimes. For example, is your current bottom bracket a BB30 or BB30a unit, if the latter then you are fine, if the former you can't use your old crankset.

Personally if it was me and I was building a new bike up I'd want all the parts to match, so I would get a SRAM Red crankset compatible with GXP bottom brackets - you can then get the Bottom Bracket and thread it into the frame and fit the new crankset.

A good starting point might be to read this. Other much longer, much more detailed guides are available :banghead::crazy:.

Top Bottom