Titanium bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hypothetical question...

If you had say £2k to spend on a Ti disc brake frame (probably a more relaxed sportive/audax type rather than a head down/arse up 'racer'), capable of light touring or day rides / off road but nothing heavy / full on)...that could take 32mm tyres, a rack and mudguards, what options would you look at and why? :smile:

Not interested in Chinese eBay / online suppliers. To be bought from a recognised brand and UK seller only :smile:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Spacycles

http://spacycles.co.uk/m1b17s21p3553/SPA-CYCLES-Elan-(105-11-Speed-Hydraulic)

Why? 'Cause you recommended it to me a while ago!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks...I don't think they do the frameset on its own and I don't want Shimano gears :smile: I'd likely to go the mechanical disc route too as I like crosslever brakes as even with SRAM I'm not keen on just braking from the hoods in traffic or on hills (yes, I'm a girly wuss :biggrin:)

They do however have this attractive beastie...I'm a sucker for etching on Ti frames :blush:
http://spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s143p3141/SABBATH-September-AR-1-Disc-Frameset

Did you buy the Ti bride yet? :laugh:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Thanks...I don't think they do the frameset on its own and I don't want Shimano gears :smile: I'd likely to go the mechanical disc route too as I like crosslever brakes as even with SRAM I'm not keen on just braking from the hoods in traffic or on hills (yes, I'm a girly wuss :biggrin:)

They do however have this attractive beastie...I'm a sucker for etching on Ti frames :blush:

They are their own frames so wouldn't surprise me if they could do you just the frame and/or SRAM. They definitely have a mechanical disc option as you can't have the hydraulics if you go for a triple.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
True dat :smile: Harrogate's a lovely place for a weekend away...

If I went that route, I might simply use the Boardman as a donor bike (maybe with a brake upgrade, not that the BB5s have let me down yet)

Alan O

Über Member
Funnily enough, as soon as I saw the question, I immediately thought of Spa too.

I'm happy with my steel framed road/touring bikes and my aluminium MTB, and I'm very unlikely to ever be in a position to buy a new £2k bike, but since coming back to cycling last year after a long break I have been looking at modern bikes.

And I have to say the carbon wonders on sale now, though impressive (I was astonished how light one was when I lifted it up in a bike shop), really hold no appeal for me as an old fat cycle tourist. But the Spa steel and titanium bikes do... and if I had a windfall to spend on a new bike, I think I'd be heading over to Harrogate (and it's a very nice town - I used to cycle round those parts in my student days).

Alan

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
This is probably dependent on my extremely slow injury claim actually paying out this century! :rolleyes:

I already have a carbon and steel roadbike with rim brakes (oh and a single speed) as well as the CX :blush: The carbon seems to have become the turbo bike :ph34r:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Did you buy the Ti bride yet? :laugh:

Not bought it yet. Supposed to be going up this week but our lass wants to go with me, so thinking of going end of July for a couple of days.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Planet X Hurricane

Does everything you need and ask.

Having just bought one as a commuter/tourer I can vouch that it is a very well made frame. Looks far better in the flesh then the pictures.
Does look good...I'm just a bit of snob when spending that much :blush:

This would be instead of my beloved and unobtainable Condor (I should have mugged the bloke who had one in Sigma at the weekend but there were too many witnesses including @jefmcg )

On that basis, I'm not sure a PX branded frame is a worthy enough substitute for me, although as you say, I'm sure it's an admirable frame :okay:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I just get a long list of non working links at the mo :sad: and when it does work the navigation and filtering is very poor IMO

I'll try again another time...off for a bike fit now!

Top Bottom