titanium stem questions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I have had six Ti frames all with carbon seat posts, no aluminium inserts several people I ride with have Ti frames with carbon seat posts with no Ti inserts, I have an aluminium sleeve on a steel frame I have, but that was fitted to use a seatpost I already had.
I have never seen a Ti frame fitted with a carbon seatpost using an insert, but it's something to consider.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
There's also a simpler way of mitigating any clamping inconsistencies on the seat post - just make sure that the seat tube slot (the cut-out in the seat tube) and the clamping bolt are at opposite ends - this will give you a better distribution of the force.

ah that explain why my seat post collar (on a carbon bike but principal is same) has an "offset" setting for carbon vs alu seat posts at teh clamp. a bit like this from a random websearch.

1664459654364.png

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I have a Ti seat post and it looks great. Thing is if they sell Ti bikes they should be ready for their owners to want to upgrade the stem to Ti.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Great find. I have a feeling many will ignore this. When I cut my steerer down it was a tough material to cut through & not very thin.
I don't think it helps that in the case Van Nicholas stem it is quite cutaway at the back. I have seen carbon fork steerers crushed by this stem due to over tightening, as the steerer starts to fail it will invariably also translate to a creaking noise and often people will assume that noise is due to the fact the bolts are not tight enough; then tighten them even more which only makes the issue even worse!

In conclusion I would never actually recommend that combination........ says me having had my Van Nicholas Chinook since 2007 and with one their Ti Stems fitted!

Attachments

• Ti Stem.jpg
    Ti Stem.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 8
  • tis.jpg
    tis.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I don't think it helps that in the case Van Nicholas stem it is quite cutaway at the back. I have seen carbon fork steerers crushed by this stem due to over tightening, as the steerer starts to fail it will invariably also translate to a creaking noise and often people will assume that noise is due to the fact the bolts are not tight enough; then tighten them even more which only makes the issue even worse!

In conclusion I would never actually recommend that combination........ says me having had my Van Nicholas Chinook since 2007 and with one their Ti Stems fitted!

Don't those Easton forks have an aluminium steerer?

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Don't those Easton forks have an aluminium steerer?
I can confirm my Easton EC90 SLX forks do have a carbon Steerer, if you look closely at both pictures you can see just how cutaway the stem is which of course also exposes the carbon steerer

Attachments

• Chinook Stem and forks.jpg
    Chinook Stem and forks.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Chinook Stem.jpg
    Chinook Stem.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I can confirm my Easton EC90 SLX forks do have a carbon Steerer, if you look closely at both pictures you can see just how cutaway the stem is which of course also exposes the carbon steerer

Ahh, I've only got the cheaper EC70's with aluminium steerer...

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Ahh, I've only got the cheaper EC70's with aluminium steerer...
Well at least you can fit a Van Nicholas Ti Stem with less anxiety.

In reality yes a carbon steerer should make a difference to weight and comfort, but how much you actually notice how that actually translates to how the bike rides and feels is down to the perception of each rider. Dave Yates who was the frame builder we used when I was manager at Pearson cycles, when I asked what was the difference in riding characteristics between a Reynolds 531 'C' versus 531 'ST' fork blade he had a good saying, "you may be able to tell the difference with data lad but not with your a*se :laugh:". Fork trivia the 'C' blade was rounder and used on competition race bikes (hence the 'C') and the 'ST' super touring blade was slimmer and used on bikes that generally had mudguards and especially front low rider pannier racks.

If I am honest I bought those Easton EC90 SLX as all of the bike was the best offered at the time and I was treating myself! In your case if I was you I wouldn't be even remotely bothered about not having a carbon steerer; unless you are sitting in a cafe with your mates and you are playing top trumps comparing bikes; then it soooooo matters and another reason I had the best I could! Legendary frame builder was Cliff Shrubb (click and click again) was notorious for that kind of wind up, if I'd got some with an alloy steerer I can almost hear him saying "they're nice Paulie boy, they have a carbon steerer....." knowing full well they hadn't lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom