Titanium the wonder material...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Titanium frames are more compliant than aluminium.
Titanium frames smooth out road buzz.
These and other such accepted wisdoms refuted and explained.

This came up in another forum where I stated that I couldn't really tell frame materials apart across my fleet of steel, aluminium, carbon fibre and titanium bikes with one exception. Most of the reason I can't tell them apart is because each bike is built differently for different jobs, there is only one example I have of two bikes with different frame materials that are side-by-side comparable: I have two hardtail MTBs, both with 29" wheels, both with 100mm forks, one with a 2012 carbon fibre frame and the other a new titanium frame. The Ti bike feels 'springy' compared to the CF, and it feels heavy. It doesn't climb as well but is a tank in winter conditions, shrugging off the conditions and just keeping going. I think the video linked kind of supports my perception (but then again the wheels are different, the tyres are different, the seatposts are different, even the wheel axles are different types so there's also that).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The reason I like Ti is that I love the bare metal look, simple as that. Yes they are a very comfy ride, but so was my carbon jobbie Spesh Roubaix.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
The reason I like Ti is that I love the bare metal look, simple as that. Yes they are a very comfy ride, but so was my carbon jobbie Spesh Roubaix.

And that is one benefit the video agrees with. I also like that it is corrosion and fatigue resistant (so perfect for my 'low maintenance' strategy).

Top Bottom