TLC for a bike on tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
21 days till the off (eeek...) and I'm turning my thoughts to maintenance on tour. The lovely Liesl and Richard's bike Ironside are booked into the LBS for a pre-tour service - I'm getting a new chain and back mech as I think it's needed - so they'll be in good shape but I'm just wondering how I need to look after the bikes en route.

Normally Liesl's lucky if she gets a dash of oil round the chain but with 1200 miles to go, what do we need to do to keep them running smoothly. Is dirt dodgy - do we need to clean the bikes off regularly? What else should we oil? Help....

jags

Guru
cathryn i reckon you will need a good multi tool one that fits all nuts even jockey wheels,progold chain lube brilliant,triflow for everything else ,
i always clean the chain after a spin just a wipe will do ,to much oil on the chain is bad ,,enough is plenty if you know what i mean.so chain front and back derailers keep oiled .that sounds like one hell of a trip your going on keep safe and tail winds all the way..

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
jags said:
cathryn i reckon you will need a good multi tool one that fits all nuts even jockey wheels,progold chain lube brilliant,triflow for everything else ,
i always clean the chain after a spin just a wipe will do ,to much oil on the chain is bad ,,enough is plenty if you know what i mean.so chain front and back derailers keep oiled .that sounds like one hell of a trip your going on keep safe and tail winds all the way..

On my 1000+ mile rides I oiled my chain every four days or so at the end of the day's ride. I quick wipe before oiling and a wipe first thing next morning was all that I did on the lube front.

I'd also spin the wheels and check for loose spokes and take up the slack if necessary.

The only other adjustments that I had to make was to take up slack in the brake cables.

I never bothered with washing the bike. I never got it dirty enough to warrant it.

I always found touring to be the time my bikes picked up all the little knocks and scratches that came to be part of it's make-up. Leaning against trees, tied up on the ferry, shoved into YHA bike sheds etc...

Like Vernon, I carry some lube and spoke key plus a multi-tool. I did at one point carry spare spokes but they normally break on the freewheel side, so unless you have a freewheel remover it's a bit pointless and in the UK/Europe you can easily get to a bikeshop somewhere.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Cool - thanks everyone. Not so worried about all this now. I'll take chain oil and my multi tool and we SHOULD be okay!! I shall go back to worrying about the leg now :biggrin:

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Thanks!! Yes, the bone is pretty fully recovered now. The challenge is getting the muscles etc strong enough to take a couple of cols!! I think we'll be okay, but it's a bit close for comfort!!

Ta for the sympathy :smile:

Top Bottom