To all the cyclists who cycle through St.Ives (Cambs) out there...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Ohh a pishing contest.:whistle:

Bridgewater Way

TPT west of Chorlton Water Park

Crankarm

Guru
Right oh Cranky. Anyway, instead of saying it here where it won't change anything, can you add your cycling experience to the survey to try and improve that for the rest of us cycling chavs. Innit.:B):girldance::crazy::music: Thank you. ;)

Actually I did already. I won't hold my breath though. Well I will actually, given how I feel about St Ives (Cambs) ;).

Crankarm

Guru
Wow a thread about where I live !

I have lived in some places in England, I would not call st Ives a s*** hole, boring yes, s*** nope, but we all are entitled to our opinion and we choose where we want to live.:smile:
Anyway moving on...

Thanks to Sustrans, they paid up for the final stretch of the GBW to be tarmacked as well, so I can't thank them enough for that, having 80% of my journey everyday on beautiful traffic free, smooth tarmac is a god send and for that they need to be applauded.

Anyway, thanks for posting bout the survey, both me and the wife cycle in St Ives so it will be great to put our opinions across. There are some issues that need to be resolved for cyclists and its nice that they event want opinions. Most places usually do what they want, and never ask !

There's a few weeds poking through in places now. How long before the surface starts to break up? Maybe spring 2013? Oh and did I mention the horse sh1t? A herd of horses must have gone a long it last week end. My bike now has a liberal coating of sh1t, again.

400bhp

Guru
That's thanks to British Waterways - not Sustrans.

Personally, I haven't been on that part of the TPT...

... I suppose Sustrans has to get it right somewhere, given the huge amounts of money they've got through.

Bridgwater way - pretty sure Sustrans played a part in it.

You want me to continue with examples?:laugh:

400bhp

Guru
That's thanks to British Waterways - not Sustrans.

Personally, I haven't been on that part of the TPT...

... I suppose Sustrans has to get it right somewhere, given the huge amounts of money they've got through.

Why does that matter?

400bhp

Guru
I suggest you have a trawl through here and see how many of them are Sustrans routes...

No thanks

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Bridgwater way - pretty sure Sustrans played a part in it.

You want me to continue with examples?:laugh:

Marriots Way (Norfolk) is brilliant, also the Tarka Trail (Devon), the Lea Valley route (London/Essex/Herts) and Lodes Way (Cambs). Dozens of others I can think of too. Great off road routes, ideal for pootling along. The roadies can stick to their dual carriageways thanks- give me the Lodes Way and the like any day. Some Sustrans routes are not very direct but nothing anyone with a map and half a brain can't navigate around.

400bhp

Guru
Bridgwater Way is (now at least) a Sustrans route as far as I can tell.

It was recently improved too - and a fine job they did.:thumbsup:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
The Sustrans Connect 2 scheme has been really effective in filling in missing bits of the network and creating new links. The ped/ cycle tunnel under the railway line at Royston in Herts and the two new bridges on the Lodes Way in Cambridgeshire, (opening up miles of new traffic free routes between Cambridge and Ely) for example are two (of about 70 such schemes nationally) that I'm most familiar with. Bloody great they are too. Irrespective of who created these routes to start with, I feel that Sustrans have done a good job in enhancing, extending and maintaining them.

donnydave

Über Member
There's a few weeds poking through in places now. How long before the surface starts to break up? Maybe spring 2013? Oh and did I mention the horse sh1t? A herd of horses must have gone a long it last week end. My bike now has a liberal coating of sh1t, again.

I've noticed it broken up a bit in places too, and the bit just before the road crossing in Histon is very narrow becuase of the bus stop and the bushes (complete with ankle gashing thorns) have started growing across the path already. They cut them once a few months ago but the are back with a vengeance.

Now its starting to get dark the presence of unexploded manure mines is becoming a concern. I'm constantly assessing the surface as the dark closes in, asking myself - leaf, or poo?

Top Bottom