To all the Yorkies - Anybody Coming to the Pub on Friday?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, the dreaded date is creaping closer, we are off on Saturday...

Does anybody in York fancy joining me and Jane (and possibly a few others) for a pre-ride drink and some moral support in The Saddle in Fulford on Friday night?

Would be nice to meet at least some of you in the flesh!!! ;)

If you fancy a wee ride out to Acaster 'The Ship' sells beer and that. I could give your bike a final check over. Hoping to see Arch out here with her tricikle at some point, maybe she could join us.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Where is Acaster??? And what kind of time are we talking? Won't get to York till some time in the afternoon...

But yes, after all the disasters, a check up combined with beer would be even better!!! ;)

Danny

Legendary Member
Acaster is a couple of miles from where you are staying, but to get there easily from Fulford you would have to get onto the York-Selby cycle route.

I'd like to come down to see you off, but may struggle to do so as my mother is coming to stay on Friday.

But please post a message when you've finally decided on venue and time and I'll see if I can pop along.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Pics will follow, I promise...If I don't fall off and land on my camera...

Still waiting for Spandex' instructions on how to get on that cycle route (and The Ship) - think I might have scared him off with my complete lack of any sense of direction, :biggrin:, but this currently appears to be the most likely venue...

Night Train

Maker of Things
I'd like to come along but I now have work on Saturdays and Sundays 3pm to 10pm at a homeless young persons hostel. This is going to make my social life even more rubbish then it is already!

Good luck and have fun.

I'd like to come, if I still lived in York. Bit far for me as it is, but have one for me. Best of luck, and enjoy yourselves!

HelenD123

Guru
I don't live far away and could come along if it's still happening. That's if you don't mind a newbie joining you...

Arch

Married to Night Train
To get to the Ship, from the pub in Fulford...

There are two ways, and I can't really work out which is shorter, but I think this is:

Ride out of town, in the direction of the Designer Outlet. Before you reach the bit roundabout with the ring road, there is a turn to the right, to Naburn. Take that road. Not long after you go up and over the main road on a flyover, a cycle path starts on the right hand side (just by where there are some houses). Take that. It's not bad (just a little gritty), and nicer than the road, since drivers tend to floor it once the 30 limit ends. Follow it. Eventually (mile or so?) it'll turn right and upwards and you'll be on he Selby bikepath. Turn right, and you'll find yourself going over a big bridge over the river, with a sculpture of a man fishing on it. Just after the bridge, there is an exit off to the right, take that and you'll find yourself on the road, next to a bridge where the path you were on goes over the road. Turn left, and follow the road until you get to the pub - another mile or so? You'll pass a church on the left and a couple of caravan parks just before the pub, and the pub is on a corner, with a car park opposite and big beer garden outside.

The other way involves doubling back a bit down the river side, crossing via the millennium bridge and riding out via Bishopthorpe. I think the first way is a more direct - and easier to describe!

If this is on, I'll come along, for sure!

Oh, and I hear one of the Look North newsreaders (Claire Frisby, I think) is doing the Amsterdame ride too, so there may well be cameras!

Afterthought, if you wanted meeting and guiding out there, I could come to where you're staying. Depends what time you want to be there, I'll be at work until 5.30ish.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Helen, by all means come along!!! We are newbies ourselves!!! Arch, if you could pick us up that would be fantastic (have pm'd you). The current time appears to be between 6-7 at the Ship in Acaster. Whoever else wants to come along, feel free!

And thanks for all the good luck wishes, I'm still in a "What the hell am I doing mode", WAH!!! :becool:

Top Bottom