to buy or not to buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Im thinking of buying a folding bike. Only thinking mind you, and not about any particular bike at the moment.

But, are folders a bit micky mouse? Are they to be used only for very short rides. Will I get enough use, out of it.? I don't think I can have a bike rack fitted to the back of my car, and I would not be able to lift my hybrid up onto the roof of my car, so a folder would seem to be the way to go, but only if I would use it.

I quite fancy being able to just throw a bike into the back of my car to be able to use it if I wanted to. What do you use yours for? Do you get a lot of out of it, or is it left in the back of your garage gathering dust. How far would and could you ride your folder?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have a Brompton and while it is the least used of my bikes, it is the one I will never sell.

Parts supply is good and Bromptons don't change much - a new one wouldn't be a significant upgrade on my 2009 model.

Some people tour the world on them, but I find the ride on mine harsh so don't undertake trips of much more than 10 miles.

The small tyres are not brilliant on cinder tracks - it's a bit like riding on ball bearings - so that's another limiting factor.

Lots of folders have 20" wheels, with the right tyres they are nearly as comfy as a full-size wheeled bike and will also do tracks and paths.

Larger folded package, but that's not a problem if you only want to lift it in and out of the car.

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

I have a Brompton and while it is the least used of my bikes, it is the one I will never sell.

Parts supply is good and Bromptons don't change much - a new one wouldn't be a significant upgrade on my 2009 model.

Some people tour the world on them, but I find the ride on mine harsh so don't undertake trips of much more than 10 miles.

The small tyres are not brilliant on cinder tracks - it's a bit like riding on ball bearings - so that's another limiting factor.

Lots of folders have 20" wheels, with the right tyres they are nearly as comfy as a full-size wheeled bike and will also do tracks and paths.

Larger folded package, but that's not a problem if you only want to lift it in and out of the car.

Thanks for that. Yes I would only be lifting it in and out of my car, and I would want 20" wheels as well. Maybe if it had 20" in wheels I would be able to
go further than 10 miles. I think the furthest I would ever go would be 20 to 25 miles.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I bought a Brompton on Cyclescheme in 2009.

Unbelievably useful bike - I've used it for;

-Riding back from B&Q after loading up the car with doors (bike in the boot on the way down, then Mrs M drove back)
-Commuting on days I have to be on other sites & aren't sure about the bike parking (b/c I can fold the Brompton and keep it with me)
-Running errands to places where the bike parking isn't great (b/c I can fold the Brompton and keep it with me)
-Multi-mode commutes with the ability to get *any* train without that tiresome bike reservation nonsense

...and probably some things I've forgotten.

I've never done vast distances on mine, but it's been a really useful little bike to have.

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

Thanks for that. Its always nice to hear the other side of the coin so to speak. I know some people are a bit overprotective when it comes to Bromptons, but not everyone can be in love with them. I daresay they are a bit like marmite, you either love them or hate them.

And I will look into taking the front wheel off we well. Cheers

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Currently on my third folder, all Dahons- Chutney the Speed Pro TT. I previously had a Jetstream XP (also 20"), and a Cadenza (26"- so more of a 'transportable' than a folder- hope it broke under the person who nicked it). Dahons and Terns are probably the best bet if you want a 20" bike, though depending on your budget you might also have a look at Pacific's Reach models (which are the slightly larger and rarer 451 rather than 406 wheel size) and the Xootr Swift (which is a bit rare over here, but a great bike and very flexible RE configuration). The Dahons and Terns are the smallest fold of that lot, and the widest availability. Evans among others stock Tern. Unfortunately, the higher-end Dahons seem to be unavailable for the most part in the UK. There can also be problems getting hold of parts, particularly for older models, as they've had a very high model turnover, multiple changes of UK distributor...so if it were me buying new, now, I'd go for a Tern.
As for being mickey mouse- I did the full IOW Randonnee and multiple FNRttCs on the Jetstream, and my first ton on the Cadenza. Chutney is the least used of my current four, but definitely not the least loved- every bit as good for long runs as the other three (it's a fast, lightweight road bike, that just happens to have small wheels and folds) and every time I ride it it puts a smile on my face. I've done three tons so far on Chutney, including 170 or so miles in France and Belgium over a couple of days a few weeks back. Main part of ride here. Previous owner took it to the Pyrenees, climbed the Tourmalet, Luz Ardiden & Hautacam on it...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Just to add balance, this was my personal experience: I bought a second-hand Brompton that came up because at the time I had a motorhome and I thought it might be a useful little bike to put in the van and ride off-site. In fact I found it clunky, heavy, horrible, and uncomfortable to ride, much to my disappointment. Because I hardly used it, because I disliked riding it so much, I had to get out the instructions that I printed off the internet every time to remind me how to fold and unfold the bloody thing, and in the end I sold it to someone who was longing to own one. Wonder if she's ridden it much @rich p?

Other folding bikes are available though. And you can take the front wheel off an ordinary bike to get it in even the smallest car.
FWIW, I wouldn't be seen dead on a folder:smile:
I bought TMN's Brompton for my daughter for a specific purpose when she lived in London and had car, childcare, work interface issues. It was the only way it would work for her and her commute.
Since she moved back to Brighton she has always chosen the Specialized Sequoia in preference.
@User once pointed out to me that, for him on a commute, it was a Brompton or nothing, which nails it but If you can get away with a 'real' bike then do so. But they have a place for necessity.
What always baffles me is why people would ride one when they could ride a proper bike - the hell of it? Dunno!

Last edited:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I bought one for a commute to London, full size bikes not allowed on trains in rush hour, and then the job failed to materialise. However I do use it for shopping as it removes my fear of theft because I take it into the shops with me. I chose a Bike Friday Tikit as I was distinctly unimpressed by the ride of a Brompton, the specific parts it requires, the readjusting when you fold/unfold and the faff of a rear wheel change. I prefer the ride on the Tikit though it's still clearly a 16" wheel bike and I think I now fall into the camp of, not using it a huge amount but really glad I have it and not likely to give it up. My wife has one as well and it suits her needs very nicely. However a Brompton is far more affordable due to import duties etc.

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

Thanks a lot to everyone for your input. You've all given me a lot to think about. I had no idea you could ride them as far as 100 miles. And you have given me a good mix of opinions to think about. Many thanks to you all.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We have an estate car so my bike fits in with the back seat folded down without removing the wheel. I've also managed to fit two bikes into the back of a colleagues old polo car with both front wheels removed. The most number of bikes I saw fitted into a car was in the back of a people carrier, where I think my friend fitted 5 bikes but removed all wheels I think (he made sure he put his bike on top if the wife and kids bikes).

Cookie56

I have a folding bike that I use to commute part way to work. I needed something I could fold up into the boot of the car but wanted something rideable.
I chose a montague, which is effectively a full size hybrid (700c tyres) with a clever hinge that folds it in half. Not the best riding hybrid I've ever used but ok for 10-20miles in reasonable comfort.
Might be worth a look if you're not planning to use the train or other public transport much ?

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

I might give it a go. I have a suzuki splash. The website says rear bike racks can't be added to models after 2008. I think its because of the tailgate perhaps. Maybe I can get my hybrid in it

in 2008 I had an old mountain bike that I literally never rode. I liked cycle commuting by work was too far for me to even consider it - 13 miles! - but wanted to avoid the waterloo & city line which was making me sad. So I bought a Mezzo, which was a competitor to the Brompton.

It was my only bike for four years, so I did everything on it. In 2011, the last year it was my only bike, I rode about 5,000 miles. In 2012 I did the Dunwich Dynamo on it. I still take it when I travel, and used it to keep up with 100km/month challenge in February and March when I was in Australia.

On the other side, I can fit my road bike, with front wheel removed but mudguards still on, in a Ford Ka.

Top Bottom