to buy or not to buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I used to put one of those hanging tailgate bike racks on my hatchback and carry one or two bikes that way. BUT I was always very anxious about them working loose or something breaking. I wouldn't recommend them; the thought of the bikes falling off the back of the car into following traffic was always in my mind - and fitting the thing to the car was a real pain.
I used to put one of those hanging tailgate bike racks on my hatchback and carry one or two bikes that way. BUT I was always very anxious about them working loose or something breaking. I wouldn't recommend them; the thought of the bikes falling off the back of the car into following traffic was always in my mind - and fitting the thing to the car was a real pain.

That's what I've heard as well. The thought of that happening is horrible.

StuartG

slower but further
The Marmite comment was apt. Why is it some of us luv'em and some hate'm?

I have to go back to my first experience of riding the Brompton after a 'proper' road bike. The twitchiness may be your first impression. My view was it was not a nice bike to ride but if you have to fold better than no bike at all. This view continued for the first six years. It never went much more than two mile trips. Then, by circumstance, I had to take it on a mini-tour. First issue was gearing (it is a 3 speed). Changed the chainwheel and that, in my eyes, halved the apparent weight of the bike. Then there were fast descents which I would expect to have terrified me. But stability improves with speed. And after a few hundred miles its motion and action becomes natural. I found I was really riding the bike rather than fighting it. Moreover, enjoying it immensely.

Without that first forced long ride I may have agreed with some of you above. I think the issue is that if you have a negative impression then experience is likely to reinforce it. If you have a positive impression that it can comfortably do 60/80 miles as easily as a proper bike then the experience of riding it again reinforces your opinion. May be its not an accident that it has a Brooks saddle and I do like Marmite. YMMV.

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Thanks a lot to everyone for your input. You've all given me a lot to think about. I had no idea you could ride them as far as 100 miles. And you have given me a good mix of opinions to think about. Many thanks to you all.

People have ridden Audaxes on Bromptons, I believe :smile:

I think the sticking point may be that the fit isn't all that tweakable (although you can add stubby bar ends, and fit a better saddle for long ride comfort). The riding position (even on the S-type) seems quite susceptible to headwinds too.

Back when I bought mine, the dealer was fine about me whizzing it around the car park near the shop, so if you know what riding position you like, it might be worth trying one.

As well as Dahon, have a look at Mezzos, which are thought to have a "big bike" ride. Like Dahon, they don't have as intuitive, or compact fold as Bromptons though

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Loads of views and depends if you like style over function etc etc and of course depends what you use it for and how much you want to spend ultimately. If you are a bit self conscious and concerned about your street cred then I would go for a folder with 20’’ wheels or larger, ie, avoid the Brompton.

I have owned a Brompton and a Dahon (Jetstream EX) and I feel more manly on the Dahon with chunky 20’’ wheels (with front and rear suspension). The Brompton has the superior fold and is good quality, but I absolutely loathed the stupid gear change trigger mechanism on my S-type 6 speed bike. You also don’t feel that secure on smaller wheels at high speed.

People will have vastly differing views and there is no wrong choice. If you aren’t too bothered then I guess it comes down to what you like and how much money you are willing to part with..

PS: If you buy a Brompton you won’t be able to get it delivered, you have to pick it up from whatever bike shop you have ordered it through.

Brommyboy

Über Member
The Brompton is what you make of it: I regularly use mine for camping tours, but have also done long day rides on it, the very longest being 113 miles. It does not give a hard ride if the front tyre is correctly inflated, mine is usually at about 3.5 bar (say, 50 lb/sq. in). It is very robust and has little frame flex. I have the reduced gearing option, as the normal gears are too high for longer rides, on my 6-speed. In my profile image I am riding over the notorious Applecross Pass.

For 20" wheeled folders, do note that that is with a 2" tyre: if running road tyres, then the wheel size is barely bigger than 18", not much more than the 16" Brompton wheel.

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

The Brompton is what you make of it: I regularly use mine for camping tours, but have also done long day rides on it, the very longest being 113 miles. It does not give a hard ride if the front tyre is correctly inflated, mine is usually at about 3.5 bar (say, 50 lb/sq. in). It is very robust and has little frame flex. I have the reduced gearing option, as the normal gears are too high for longer rides, on my 6-speed. In my profile image I am riding over the notorious Applecross Pass.

For 20" wheeled folders, do note that that is with a 2" tyre: if running road tyres, then the wheel size is barely bigger than 18", not much more than the 16" Brompton wheel.

Thanks for that.

gpx001

Über Member
Hi, just to add my four-penneth, I have owned a Dawes Kingpin (Re-badged Dahon) for the past 6-7 years.
I used to work away from home alot and got it to pootle round on in the evenings, it has proved an excellent buy! I have since changed jobs and now use it most days to travel too and from work (I drive half way then cycle the rest it saves lots of time and petrol).
I have taken it on holiday with me doing 20-40 mile rides across all terrain (eg the sandy promenade, off road in the Cairngorms and through parts of Snowdonia)
It is also good for going to fetch the car the morning after a few beers!
Folders Mickey Mouse - maybe once and maybe some of the real cheapies, but they have come along way and are great pieces of engineering

MarkF

Guru
I think they are great, my good lady prefers to ride her folder rather than her hybrid, so we just chuck them (Dahon + Philips) in the boot and go wherever. They've taken as much abuse as "normal" bikes and I've had zero issues, I fitted M+'s as soon as we got them. We actually bought them for a trip to Amsterdam, which was silly really considering the amount of hire shops. :blink: Still, I am glad we did buy them, we never now use them as we intended to, city weekends abroad, but they have proved great fun. I don't have or want a bike rack and it's associated hassle, if we are going somewhere we always take the folders in case we want to use them.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I often use mine (Peugeot Weekender) in a rather spoke and hub arrangement, using car to get downtown and bike to go about from there, or from train station to destination and return to train station. I am considering a Montague or a Bike Friday in future so I have speeds, and these are also more capable of bearing my great size. Bike Fridays would be able to be used by both myself and Mrs. GA were she ever to be so inclined.

London Female

Über Member
Im thinking of buying a folding bike. Only thinking mind you, and not about any particular bike at the moment.

But, are folders a bit micky mouse? Are they to be used only for very short rides. Will I get enough use, out of it.? I don't think I can have a bike rack fitted to the back of my car, and I would not be able to lift my hybrid up onto the roof of my car, so a folder would seem to be the way to go, but only if I would use it.

I quite fancy being able to just throw a bike into the back of my car to be able to use it if I wanted to. What do you use yours for? Do you get a lot of out of it, or is it left in the back of your garage gathering dust. How far would and could you ride your folder?

Hello welsh dragon, did you get a folder in the end and if you did what did you go for? I am thinking of buying one too. Bromptoms are not an option as I need to get three and we want ones with 20 inch wheels, I want one each for my two children too (my son will be paying 50% of his).

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

Hello welsh dragon, did you get a folder in the end and if you did what did you go for? I am thinking of buying one too. Bromptoms are not an option as I need to get three and we want ones with 20 inch wheels, I want one each for my two children too (my son will be paying 50% of his).

Hi. Yes I bought a rarher cheap folder witb 20in wheels in the end.i wanted to see if I liked them first and if I do then I'll save my pennies and buy a tern that I have my eye on. It's a tern node 24, with 24in wheels. The reviews are very good apparently, so I'll have to start saving for it.

Anyhow, I must admit i do like folders. I like the fact that I can put it Into the boot and take it anywhere. They're really easy to fold and unfold, and are easy to ride. It doesn't feel cramped or small, and there is no flexing in the bike at all. I was worred about flexing, but there isn't any at all. I love them, especially the aspect of being able to use it whenever I am out and about.

It's a must have as far as I am concerned, and I can recommend them. Hope this helps.

London Female

Über Member
Hi. Yes I bought a rarher cheap folder witb 20in wheels in the end.i wanted to see if I liked them first and if I do then I'll save my pennies and buy a tern that I have my eye on. It's a tern node 24, with 24in wheels. The reviews are very good apparently, so I'll have to start saving for it.

Anyhow, I must admit i do like folders. I like the fact that I can put it Into the boot and take it anywhere. They're really easy to fold and unfold, and are easy to ride. It doesn't feel cramped or small, and there is no flexing in the bike at all. I was worred about flexing, but there isn't any at all. I love them, especially the aspect of being able to use it whenever I am out and about.

It's a must have as far as I am concerned, and I can recommend them. Hope this helps.

Thank you, that's a big help. I have been looking at dahon and we are going to try them this week. I may just go for a decathlon bfold 7 for my son as I think he will use it less often. We want something we can put in the car as hanging three bikes off the back of my car is not an option. We had such a great time all cycling together when we were in Amsterdam we would like to do more and folders will make that possible.

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

Thank you, that's a big help. I have been looking at dahon and we are going to try them this week. I may just go for a decathlon bfold 7 for my son as I think he will use it less often. We want something we can put in the car as hanging three bikes off the back of my car is not an option. We had such a great time all cycling together when we were in Amsterdam we would like to do more and folders will make that possible.

They are a lot of fun, and I think once you have ridden them a few times, you won't know how you managed without one before, and even some cheap folders can
And are excellent. I think there is a thread somewhee about cheap folders. I'll see if I can find it and let you know.

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

The thread is called decathlon (or other cheaper folding bikes).

Top Bottom