To cleat or...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigSteev

MacB said:
Just a little alternate view for you:evil:

I've given up trying to get them to see the light. Now if only I could find a way for them to let me use flats on my track bike....

Scratch

Über Member
I use SPD pedals on all my bikes so I can use the same shoes for each bike. You can still easily walk round on the shoes and you soon get used to clipping in.

My OH uses M424 pedals which also have a a cage so you can ride with normal shoes as well or without clipping in if you want.

MacB said:
Another one here voting for the 'alternate view'. With a slight difference: I use rat-traps and toe-clips, although I'm not a preacher so I don't tell everyone to do likewise. The choice is yours - never forget that!
See also here for another take on the subject.

potsy said:
Ignore Old Man MacB ...
Fine. Ignore lots of serious and experienced cyclists, myself amongst them, if you really want to. :biggrin:
Or you could try listening to both sides of the argument. :sad:

I've given up trying to get them to see the light.
We really are a load of evangelists now aren't we?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
My contention remains, as always, that, serious racing aside, the actual evidence for the benefit claims about clipless doesn't exist. Whereas the negatives are in plain sight for all to decide.

But I don't care how people want to attach themselves to pedals, or not, it's up to them.

potsy

Rambler
MacB said:
My contention remains, as always, that, serious racing aside, the actual evidence for the benefit claims about clipless doesn't exist. Whereas the negatives are in plain sight for all to decide.

But I don't care how people want to attach themselves to pedals, or not, it's up to them.
TBH I've not noticed any massive performance increases using clipless,just prefer the feel of being attached to the pedals.There again I didn't notice much difference when I experimented with some lighter tyres(gatorskins) compared to Marathon+,maybe 0.5 mph increase if that,someone on here suggested I'd get an extra 3-4mph IIRC:blush:
Each to their own and all that,it's a fair bit of outlay for an experiment but OP could always sell them on here if they're not happy.

GrasB

Veteran
Try it & see if you like it. Personally I find that I'm far quicker off the mark as I can generate far more power when clipless & up hill for the same speed it feels easier using clipless. I often see people on flat pedals standing on one leg going up castle hill & madingley road, if that doesn't tell you using the upstroke is useful then I have no idea what does!

If you go for road cleats (Look, SPD SL, etc) rather than MTB cleats (SPD, egg beaters, etc.) then riding 10 miles in normal shoes shouldn't be a problem at all. With that said SPDs there are double sided pedals out there that are fine with normal shoes & still let you use SPD cleats without issues.

D

Deleted member 1258

MacB said:
get decent flat pedals, BMX style platforms are good, and some trainers with grippy soles, like the FiveTen Impact. Great for any distance and allows you to still hop on your bike in any footwear. The only learning curve is that, with these soles, you can't slide your foot around as easily on the pedal.

Sadly you'll miss out on being able to tell your own 'hilarious falling off stories'. You'll not get to walk like a duck, unless you do anyway, or click while you walk. You'll also not be able to proclaim a night and day difference re your riding pre/post clip in pedals. Though when questioned on the detail you'd of had to get all vague until you finally admitted that, no, you weren't actually any faster. You also forgo the huge pleasure of being able to contribute to the shoe/pedal combo industry. You may also miss out on certain knee and leg pains while trying to get your cleats in the right position. Even when you do achieve this the pain might return on longer rides due to an inability to move your feet about.

Another alternative view here, I had spds on my best bike for the summer of 2007, I hated the things. After six months I went back to toe clips and straps and am much happier. I got no advantage from going clipless, if I had I would have persevered with them. The only time I use cycle shoes is on Sunday club runs. My thirteen mile a day commute is done in steel toe capped boots, other running about is done in trainers.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My brother used to use spd's when commuting but took them off because he felt nervous in heavy traffic. I use Look pedals with red cleats so plenty of float, I wouldn't go back. You have to try and see if it suits you.

nich

Are they easy to get in and out of

Yes they are, but they are also adjustable. Mine are setup quite 'loose', so I barely need to put any effort into unclipping, but I still get the efficiency advantage of being able to pull upwards - pretty hand for hills :biggrin:

OP
OP
W

wheres me jumper

I think i will stick with flats for now...not many big hills round my way and if I get some wider MTB (?) ones, then i can hopefully get away with the existing footwear.

Might have to give cleats a try at some point though, when feeling a bit more flush perhaps.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
drsquirrel said:
The more you think about getting your foot in, the worse it will be :tongue: after a while it will become natural.

Tell me about it! :laugh: Just got a new pair of cycling shoes (Shimano RO86) after 4 years of riding with Specialized Sonoma shoes. Trying to re-learn the muscle memory required for clipping in without thinking about it, as I've yet to manage it very well in the new shoes.

Not much fun when you're trying to make a quick get-away at lights or onto a busy roundabout after coming to a halt. Still, must give those behind me in their cars a giggle as I slip off the pedal again and again. :tongue:

allen-uk

I've just switched to cleats - never even looked closely at them before.

But my initial technique is one leg only (i.e. one leg with cleats, the other still on a bit flat pedal). Means I KNOW I can get a foot to the floor instantly. Give it a while, I might fit the other cleat, too.

One problem which you might be able to solve: the cleat scrapes the concrete when I'm walking. I'm using brand new cycling shoes (ex Evans), and the cleat recess seems pretty deep. They were only £40 (reduced from about five hundred or some such nonsense), and I'm using Shimano pedals and multi-release cleats.

Are there shoes with extra-deep recesses which DON'T let your cleat scrape the concrete? (It would also scrape wooden floors, which I haven't got, but I hear they're popular in some quarters).

Any tips?

Thanks.

Allen.

Top Bottom