To go disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
User482 said:
Hydraulic discs are definitely better, but I did manage to MTB for 10 years or so with V brakes/ cantis. I don't think they should be your first priority on a cheaper MTB - focus on the frame and wheels as they will have more effect on how it rides.

ofcourse you managed on cantis and Vs just like out grand parents managed on cork rim blocks!!! :tongue: cause there was nowt else?!?!

discs are not a gimimick - look at motorcycles - back in the day they all had drums now you will find drums only on the rear, if at all at all.

hydraulic discs rule; there was some debate about being heavier but the weight is pretty good nowadays if you also take into consideration the lighter rims.

U

User482

02GF74 said:
ofcourse you managed on cantis and Vs just like out grand parents managed on cork rim blocks!!! :smile: cause there was nowt else?!?!

discs are not a gimimick - look at motorcycles - back in the day they all had drums now you will find drums only on the rear, if at all at all.

hydraulic discs rule; there was some debate about being heavier but the weight is pretty good nowadays if you also take into consideration the lighter rims.

You know, a motorbike goes just a tad faster than an MTB :wacko:

Discs are a good innovation, but do not offer the night and day performance benefit that some claim. As I said before, much better to focus on the frame & wheels first.

fisha

Guru
but do not offer the night and day performance benefit that some claim

User482,

Sorry, but set of hydraulic disc brakes from the main brand players ( Hayes 9's, Shimano Deore or above, Hope Mono series, Magura ) simply do offer a significant improvement in braking. In the dry, i can kill speed with less effort and pull on the levers, and in the wet, there is no contest.

Yes, V-brakes and rim brakes will stop me. But the discs do it significantly better and with much more ease .... to me, that is a better performer.

I have a road bike with normal brakes.
I have a hardtail which has had in order:
- XT V-brakes and levers ( i.e. a good quality v-brake )
- Shimano Deore mechanical discs
- Hayes 9's Hydraulic discs
- now has Shimano Deore hydraulic discs ( 160mm rotors )
I also have a full suspension with Hope Mono M4 hydraulic brakes ( 180mm front rotor )

Time and time on all bikes and brake versions, i've ridden a bit of road which has 2 main descents where with a tuck its easy to reach 35mph and normally closer to 40mph ( on all the bikes ).

In all weathers, the discs win out, its why i changed the hardtail. With the roadie and the V-brake version hardtail, stopping at the bottom for the 90° bend was doable, but i feel with the road bike getting the speed down is something where i'm running up to the corner thinking " slow down, slow down, pull harder, slow down " when i'm on the levers. With any of the disc bikes, its just a non issue. Run up to the corner, pull the levers and progressively increase the pressure and the speed falls away.

Do I think that discs are a thing for road bikes though ? Nah, not really. Normal brakes do stop me. but for mountain bikes, yes, its the way to go.

U

User482

fisha said:
User482,

Sorry, but set of hydraulic disc brakes from the main brand players ( Hayes 9's, Shimano Deore or above, Hope Mono series, Magura ) simply do offer a significant improvement in braking. In the dry, i can kill speed with less effort and pull on the levers, and in the wet, there is no contest.

Yes, V-brakes and rim brakes will stop me. But the discs do it significantly better and with much more ease .... to me, that is a better performer.

I have a road bike with normal brakes.
I have a hardtail which has had in order:
- XT V-brakes and levers ( i.e. a good quality v-brake )
- Shimano Deore mechanical discs
- Hayes 9's Hydraulic discs
- now has Shimano Deore hydraulic discs ( 160mm rotors )
I also have a full suspension with Hope Mono M4 hydraulic brakes ( 180mm front rotor )

Time and time on all bikes and brake versions, i've ridden a bit of road which has 2 main descents where with a tuck its easy to reach 35mph and normally closer to 40mph ( on all the bikes ).

In all weathers, the discs win out, its why i changed the hardtail. With the roadie and the V-brake version hardtail, stopping at the bottom for the 90° bend was doable, but i feel with the road bike getting the speed down is something where i'm running up to the corner thinking " slow down, slow down, pull harder, slow down " when i'm on the levers. With any of the disc bikes, its just a non issue. Run up to the corner, pull the levers and progressively increase the pressure and the speed falls away.

Do I think that discs are a thing for road bikes though ? Nah, not really. Normal brakes do stop me. but for mountain bikes, yes, its the way to go.

I have a road bike with shimano calipers, a 1992 Breezer with original Deore DX cantilevers, and a Giant Trance with Hope Mono minis & 180mm rotors. The Hopes are the best brakes, particulalrly in the wet and mud. But they are not night and day better than the others.

At the budget end of the market, cheaper discs than Hopes will be fitted, and other parts of the bike will have to be downgraded to hit the price point. So in my view, you are better off spending the money on a decent frame, that would stand an upgrade to discs in time if the MTB bug bites.

Top Bottom