To look for a new job or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

I have a feeling I`ve been here before, but have had a few reel ales and can`t remember!

I have a secure....ish job repairing and maintaining medical equipment, which is fine, I class myself as pretty experienced after 16 years of it, but it`s the people..............................xx(:banghead:xx(:banghead:xx(:banghead:

I work in a department of about 35, and apart from the odd 2 or 3 that I would class as genuine and trustworthy, the rest are a load of two faced, poisonous, evil, twisted, back stabbing, nasty, bitching, childish, shower of f*ckwits that you could ever wish to meet.

I do try to convince myself that "it only pays for the mortgage, you don`t have to like them" and "you can retire in only 15 years", but it`s no longer working, it`s getting me down. The last time I felt this way was in the school playground 30 years ago, and I refuse to be made to feel that way again. Do I leg it and make a fresh start? Or do I stick it out until I`m 55?

I`d love a new job, a fresh start, but there`s nothing about nowadays...................

classic33

Leg End Member
I have a feeling I`ve been here before, but have had a few reel ales and can`t remember!

I have a secure....ish job repairing and maintaining medical equipment, which is fine, I class myself as pretty experienced after 16 years of it, but it`s the people..............................xx(:banghead:xx(:banghead:xx(:banghead:

I work in a department of about 35, and apart from the odd 2 or 3 that I would class as genuine and trustworthy, the rest are a load of two faced, poisonous, evil, twisted, back stabbing, nasty, bitching, childish, shower of f*ckwits that you could ever wish to meet.

I do try to convince myself that "it only pays for the mortgage, you don`t have to like them" and "you can retire in only 15 years", but it`s no longer working, it`s getting me down. The last time I felt this way was in the school playground 30 years ago, and I refuse to be made to feel that way again. Do I leg it and make a fresh start? Or do I stick it out until I`m 55?

I`d love a new job, a fresh start, but there`s nothing about nowadays...................
I don't think I worked in the same place as you.

screenman

Legendary Member
Maybe for some people they have to work with the same people where ever they work. Does everyone else feel the same.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You seem to have got yourself embroiled in office politics or tittle tattle. Apart from being professional at work, you dont have to have any social interaction with them at all. I have just had 4 months off work with stress and when I went back on Monday a particular negative person started where they left off. I cut them short and told them if they didnt have anything positive to say then dont speak to me.

PaulB

Legendary Member

Do you work in an EBME dept or for a medical company? There's a world of difference betwixt the two so before I chuck in my tuppenyworth, it'd be worth knowing.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
You hear stories of people keeling over and dying within days of retirement. I'd say don't try to stick with a job you hate for another 15 years, as the stress could get too much.

Maybe just put your CV out and keep looking, but don't go all out to leave. Something may just come up.

MarkF

Guru
I work in a hospital after decades "outside" and know exactly what you meant when you described your colleagues, many (particularly one dept folk) are institutionalised, they live in a bubble, they are not "normal", this is compounded by an utter lack of imagination to "do something else", so they plod on, towards the holy grail, their NHS pension, forfeiting life for it! Whilst getting their sole workplace kicks from machiavellian, petty, and personal rivalry.

If you feel that you are not one of these folk, then look to Leave. :okay:

Mrs M

Guru
Could you and your nice colleagues speak to management/HR?
Surely there is a code of conduct in your workplace and these people must be breaching it on a daily basis.
If someone higher up read them the riot act about their antics emphasising words such as - disciplinary, warning, dismissal, etc. maybe they would sit up and take note.
For you, one or two would be easy to cut off and ignore but most of a department would need more.
If you want out start looking but don't just leave and end up jobless because of this lot :thumbsdown:
Good luck :smile:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Yes, EBME
I've never seen any discontent in any of the EBME depts I've ever visited so think you must be very unlucky to be in the one you're in. I won't intrude as to which one though but remember the contribution you're making to the well-being of people in this country and this is an NHS position so you get our respect for that. It's tricky though, especially if you especially dislike some of the ones you work with. That would be much worse if any of them had any managerial influence over you. It was this sort of scenario that compelled me to resign to my two wuckfitted (Sp) 'managers' back in April but the 'unemployment dividend' I've received since has been sensational and I remain glad I did exactly the right thing. I'm a stone lighter, I'm winning races (won one last night over 5K) that I never thought I'd win again and I'm making serious plans to buy a bike shop outright and I've got the time to do all the research needed on this project. It's been great for me but financially, I'm OK so that made a big contribution to my decision.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I've never seen any discontent in any of the EBME depts I've ever visited so think you must be very unlucky to be in the one you're in. I won't intrude as to which one though but remember the contribution you're making to the well-being of people in this country and this is an NHS position so you get our respect for that. It's tricky though, especially if you especially dislike some of the ones you work with. That would be much worse if any of them had any managerial influence over you. It was this sort of scenario that compelled me to resign to my two wuckfitted (Sp) 'managers' back in April but the 'unemployment dividend' I've received since has been sensational and I remain glad I did exactly the right thing. I'm a stone lighter, I'm winning races (won one last night over 5K) that I never thought I'd win again and I'm making serious plans to buy a bike shop outright and I've got the time to do all the research needed on this project. It's been great for me but financially, I'm OK so that made a big contribution to my decision.
Interesting. A lot of that seems to make sense..................

midlife

Guru

Just out of curiosity did you go for constructive dismissal as your "unemployment dividend" ?

Shaun

Top Bottom