To Part Ex or not to part ex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim77

I have a good quality hybrid bike (worth around in new terms £800). I am looking to get a mountain bike. I am looking at getting a full suspension stumpjumper.

What I want to know is: Should I keep my hybrid for cycle paths and tarmac riding? It has 700 wheels and a front suspension fork? Or would the stumpjumper be just as good at this and should i part exchange?

So 2 bikes or 1?

You need at least 2!

OP
OP
J

Jim77

i haven't taken it in yet to be looked at. it is in excellent condition and a 2008 bike so what % of purchase price should i be looking to get?

yello

Be prepared for a shock. IF they're interested, it'll be at a price that suits them.

You want 2 bikes really now don't you!

OP
OP
J

Jim77

It will depend on what they offer tbh. I would rather PX but I don't want to give me current bike away...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Hopefully you'll get a good offer, but i'm not so sure :biggrin:
You might regret selling it after a while, so probably best to keep 2 bikes for a while & then if it never gets used sell it next spring. Looking at ebay prices, new year & spring/early summer seem best time to sell ;)

OP
OP
J

Jim77

OK, well i will take it in and see what they say...

I am running out of space though as i keep my bike inside. Do you think there is any need for a hybrid and a mountain bike?

02GF74

Über Member
hmmm, assuming it is in very good nick, the shop will probably sell it at about 3/4 of new price; they will offer you half of that hence 3/8 or 37 %, if they are feeling generous.

Renard

I would reckon that you want to keep the stumpjumper good for proper mountainbiking and use the hybrid for the everyday stuff. Maybe ditch the suspension fork on the hybrid once it wears out and fit a rigid fork instead.

I am not a fan of hybrids unless you only have the space for one bike. I would say you would be better off with a mountain bike and a road bike in the long term.

You won't get much for your current bike that is for sure, especially in the run up to Christmas.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do you ride to work on it - then hybrid - keep it. Good mountain bikes are just horrible on road - slow, sluggish when compared to a fast hybrid, and not a patch on a road bike. I'd say keep it.

Top Bottom