To rejoin or not??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

I`m stuck on this one

I was a member of my local club for about 3 years, we all live in/around a small town so pretty close nit. I left because I got involved with the committee and things got a bit heavy for me, so I left the committee and the club. Now I`m wishing I hadn`t. Anybody I meet keeps asking where I`ve been and when I`m coming back, which is nice, I must say.

BUT......over the last 9 months I have got to like the freedom, I ride when I want and for as long as I want, and there is no guilt for having a lay in on a Sunday morning. I was never at pro standard (lol!!) but could stand my ground on any club ride so I know that I have the ability.

I also miss the people, at the moment I feel like a complete and utter billy no mates.

What to do???????????????

I am torn...........................

jack smith

Veteran
I like doing both solo rides where i can relax and club runs that are flatout i say just join the club again but just because your in a club dosent mean your obliged to ride with them EVERY time, do what you wish when you wish! :smile:

jack smith

Veteran
Looks smart from what i can see, some of them around here make me gag xx( club runs are a good buzz for me too but they are hard work and sometimes my idea of a good ride is taking iteasy and enjoying the oudoors!

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Looks smart from what i can see, some of them around here make me gag xx( club runs are a good buzz for me too but they are hard work and sometimes my idea of a good ride is taking iteasy and enjoying the oudoors!
I agree, I like both ends of the scale, going balls out in a group is great for fitness, but bumbling around on your own is very relaxing and lets you think!

outlash

also available in orange
I haven't renewed my subs with my local this year for various reasons, I've missed certain aspects but not to the extent that I'll re-join. I think you sound more enthusiastic. Why not re-join? Is there a rule about having to do the club run every week?

Tony.

screenman

Legendary Member
The club I belong too has over 75+ rides a week going out, some only have one rider on. I would say join back up and control what you want to do and not let others dictate for you.

All this having to do the Sunday run is rubbish, we have about 150 members but only 10 or so regular Sunday run riders, not sure the others are racked with guilt I know I am not.

Venod

Eh up
Re join, you don't have to attend all runs and don't get involved with the committee, I am ever grateful to people who organise and enjoy committee duties but its not for everyone, when I was younger it was chain gangs and time trials that ruined the simple pleasure of getting out on the bike, nowadays I pick the club rides I want to go on and enjoy my solo outings.

screenman

Legendary Member
Afnug, whilst I agree with some of your post many people myself included got a lot of pleasure out of racing and chain gangs, so I am not sure the word ruined is for everybody.

One of the nice things about cycling is the many aspects of it.

Venod

Eh up
Afnug, whilst I agree with some of your post many people myself included got a lot of pleasure out of racing and chain gangs, so I am not sure the word ruined is for everybody.

One of the nice things about cycling is the many aspects of it.

Probably ruined is the wrong word. I did enjoy the chain gang ( still do occasionally) I should have said don't lose sight of the simple pleasure of a bike ride, not every ride is a race, I don't miss Time Trialling thou, but I know it is loved by some riders.

Last edited:

yello

Sounds to me like you want to rejoin, so do it. You must have enjoyed it so it sounds silly to deny yourself.

Don't feel obliged to take on duties or organisational roles. You don't have to so don't feel guilty about it!

Pick and choose your rides. Ride alone when you want, with the club when you want. Don't feel obligated in any direction. Do rides because you want to, not because you feel you ought. Doing anything out of a sense of obligation is a fun killer.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm in a club but only do 1 or 2 Sunday runs each year. I join some of the Saturday rides and a few other activities.

Most of my riding is on my own but in the winter and occasionally at other times it's useful.

Being a club member doesn't commit you to every ride.

Top Bottom