To retire or not...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deanE

Retirement is a death sentence. Carry on working to stay mentally sharp and healthy.
Just coming up to 5 years since retiring, at 61, and do not regret a moment of it. Got up next day and started my new job - being retired. It was probably about a month before I had that "I don't have to go to work tomorrow" thought, and then it was just a passing thought. Plenty to do if you want it. Wrote a book, plenty of voluntary workers needed; even started cycling last summer so have lost weight as well.

gary r

Guru
... if you were able to, would you?
Linking two recent threads of The Jogger's about where to go, and hotfuzzrj's about being already bored after a day away from work.

Would you give up work entirely, do a couple of days a week, occasional jobs with long gaps in between?
There are a lot of hours to fill and being on a bike all day may not cut it. If you live in a decrepit house there's always maintenance to do but not so in a flat perhaps. Chores can be time fillers but possibly unrewarding.
The available hours mean that there's a lot more time to spend money which maybe is an ever-decreasing pot of gold.
Many retirees find that it's not as much fun as they thought.
My strategy is to work just enough to give some structure but leave enough time to fart-arse about. So, I do a week or two followed by a few off. So far, so good for me.

Rich,i have plenty more frames and bike bits to sell you if youre interested,that will keep you busy!!! Hows the Specialized coming along??

Gary

byegad

Legendary Member
I was able and did it at 55. I'm not vastly wealthy but we manage and anticipate doing so until the grim reaper turns up.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Rich,i have plenty more frames and bike bits to sell you if youre interested,that will keep you busy!!! Hows the Specialized coming along??

Gary
Still a work in progress! Watch this space:thumbsup: I'm still working from time to time so one project at atime is enough.

D

Deleted member 1258

60 years young, and its looking like I'll be working till retirement age , what ever that will be, the government keep moving the goal posts. If I could I would have retired already, I'm working because I have to earn a living. Like a lot of people retirement seemed a long way off when I was a young fella so I did nothing, by the time I realized I needed to do something about retirement I had a family and a mortgage and couldn't afford to. I have a small pension, I started it too late, but its barely pocket money so I must keep working.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Just coming up to 5 years since retiring, at 61, and do not regret a moment of it. Got up next day and started my new job - being retired. It was probably about a month before I had that "I don't have to go to work tomorrow" thought, and then it was just a passing thought. Plenty to do if you want it. Wrote a book, plenty of voluntary workers needed; even started cycling last summer so have lost weight as well.

Good on you I am 42 and would like to retire tomorrow if I could. Would love to think that I could retire at the age that you have although I cannot see it. My Dad retired at 59 and never regretted it for one moment, although he played a lot of golf and is still very healthy at 78.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
the only things that matter are keeping occupied with fun stuff and the people in your life.

I too have been lucky enough to retire early at 57. Now I find indolence suits me and have no problem filling my days. I rarely get bored and thank god (whoever he/she/it is) every day.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I am expecting to retire by this time next year, once the olympics is over and the consultation starts on the cuts, operational managers will probably get offered vs and I'll be off. I have already started the ball rolling, estate agents around yesterday and today, the house will be on the market, then rent until ready to go............

Thinking about the region of Granada, will rent over there for a year and explore the area to find the right place. We won't be loaded but willl have enough to get by and enjoy a bit of life while still young enough for the physical side of things.I'll be 55 and madam 52 We might also invest in a little bolt hole here, if that is possible, not sure on that yet.

A few years ago, I wasn't interested in retiring but after seeing a couple of siblings die, I decided life is too short to work yourself into the ground for someone else.

Top Bottom