To Tagalong...or not?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Crackle said:
They do if you don't set them up right or the adaptor kit doesn't fit the bike properly - can't stress that enough.

When Son No.1 finally got a bigger bike, we had to abandon the Gator because it didn't fit his bike properly. Likewise I gave one to a friend and gave him specific instruction on fitting. He fitted it and it didn't work, so I got it back.

THEY HAVE TO FIT PROPERLY IF YOU DON'T WANT THEM TO LEAN.

If they do fit they're fantastic and as I say we had two, did lots of cycling with them, including using trains, try that with a tag-a-long.

I think I have one going spare actually, maybe two. I'll look in the shed.

Trains can be a problem.... If the policy excludes "Rann trailers" then they will not take a tagalong!

Otherwise just treat it like a bike.

Should also add a mirror (or two) on the towing bike allow supervision, and communication is good enough to train the child.... Discussion and commentary are a great way to learn.

"We are going to turn left - do you want to signal now?"

Develops into

"We are turning left, when do you want to signal?"

Finally you will find on known routes they can signal appropriately without prompting.

Road sense is very easily taught in this way.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Tagalongs are great, we have a trek one. miniMikey loves going on it. And no, the tagalong should be straight with no lean at all. If there is a lean, there's something wrong.

Arch

Married to Night Train
On the question of lean, I've seen tagalongs at roadshows where the mount to the seatpost was fine, but the bolt holding the pivot together had worn thin, or the hole had worn bigger, and that was allowing some serious leaning. Worth checking for play in the actual joint tdr1nka? Would think the way to repair would be to redrill the hole straight and use a bigger bolt, but sooner or later you'll run out of metal to play with and you might be best getting the advice of a decent metalworker/engineer... (unless you happen to be one of course!)

Mind you, the worse one I saw, the lad was leaning over at some angle and still merrily powering his mother along as she free-wheeled!:biggrin:

sjb

Tagalongs are great, my 6 year old loves it - did 30 miles yesterday from Patrington to Spurn Point, fantastic day and she even coped with the concrete "cobbles" on the last mile or so of road on the point.

Only problem is that she has seen me standing up to get up hills and now does it at random to give us a boost! Talk about causing a wobble when you're not expecting it......the rule now is that she has to ask me if I need her to stand up!!!!

OP
OP
Jet

Jet

Veteran
Oh wow!! Thankyou so much everyone for your very useful replies. I just signed on on the off-chance I might have had 1 or 2 replies!!

Tdr... ha ha! That made me chuckle - my motorbike is in the garage and has been for about 3 years. Its amazing the toys you have to give up when kiddiwinks come along isn't it?! Mind you I did dust my leathers off the other day so who knows what might happen this summer.....And I know exactly what you mean about having an over enthusiastic pillion anticipating corners for you!!!

As far as the tagalong debate goes I think I'm now suitably scared off getting a trailgator to attach his existing bike. My boy is very tall and solid for his age and the thought of having his lump of lead bike leaning out along with his solid frame terrifies me!! My poor lightweight stumpjumper ain't gonna cope with that I don't think not to mention my out of condition frame!

On the other hand I do like the sound of the tagalong. The one thats caught my eye is an Adams aluminium 7 speed (it colour co-ordinates well with mine ;-) ) which seems reasonably priced for what you get. I like the sound of being able to go over more lumpy ground with a tagalong.

Ok well thanks for all your replies - tomorrows mission is to buy a tagalong. No doubt I'll be reporting from the nearest A&E tomorrow evening on whether you lot can be trusted or not!

Jet.
x

duncan_harris

Islabikes trailerbike

I coulnd't find the trailerbikes at www.islabikes.co.uk. Has she stopped doing them?

I just bought one recently.

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/trailerbike.html

It handles very well. The only hassles I have with it are:
  • gears a bit low would have been better with 7 speed so I could get an 11 tooth cog on the back
  • a few bits have a tendency to rust (racks, horizontal hitch pivot). Make sure you lube it all if you want to take it out in the rain. We leave ours at nursery all day three days a week so it does get a bit wet.
  • I have two extra towing racks and the thickness of the mounting plate varies between racks which means you have to adjust the QR skewers when switching bikes.
Another similar one to look at is the new Burley Piccolo which they have restarted producing this year. It is more expensive, but has 7 speed gears although no mudguard which seems a bit silly. Not sure how easily it hitches on and off.

I have also owned a Roland add+bike which I have since sold on. This one does not handle as well, because the mount point is further back. On some bikes it makes your steering light (less weight on front wheel). However it is very quick to swap bikes and is very rust proof and you can use a child seat at the same time. Also it has a proper chain guard and hub gear which they all should have really.

Duncan

Right then.

The name 'Tag-a-long' is registered (in the UK) to Paligap Ltd, the UK distributors of Kona bikes (and some other cool stuff).

Many cheap trailer bikes have very poor tolerances in the universal joint, it's this factor which causes the uncomfortable permanent lean and and dangerous wobbles as the passengers centre of gravity shifts from one side to the other.

We use Avenir (Raleigh) trailers in our demo fleet at the moment. They were purchased by a previous incumbent who knew SFA about the subject and I hate them. I'd like to get rid of them and replace them with gen-u-ine Tagas, Islas or Burleys but hate the idea that some poor kid might actually have to ride one. I think they'll end up being junked.

Hitch and UV play is the major problem with cheapo trailers, I've never seen any evidence of 'boom flex', on the contrary, most of them appear to be massively over engineered. Compare the slender, lightweight and perfectly reliable hitches found on Pashley/Creswell U+1s and U+2s with the enormous lump of steel found on Avenirs for example.

As far as rack mounted trailers are concerned, I think people are drawn to them as a direct result of the wobbly shortcomings of cheapo seat post mounted units rather than a weakness in the actual design- good quality seatpost mounts handle perfectly well. Rack mounts restrict the use of panniers too.

GeorgeS

Regular
Hi everyone,

I'm a student at Loughborough University in my final year of a product design degree; as part of this I must redesign an existing product or invent something completely new. I have decided to focus on Trailer Bikes and, in particular, improving the tow bar concept used by the Trail-Gator. I'm not sure whether anyone is still linked to this thread but any answers to some of the following questions would be much appreciated.

I like the fact that the Trail-Gator adds flexibility and allows the child to have freedom, as well giving them the option to be hooked on when tired. Has anyone had any particularly bad experiences with this product?

I've heard and read that they can be really awkward to fit; is there a particular aspect of the design that is most troublesome?

I have managed to get my hands on a second hand Trail-Gator and, having looked closely at it, feel that it actually appears quite cheap - anyone agree? Has anyone had any concerns over the quality of it when in use?

If you have any further input unrelated to the questions above then i would be hugely grateful!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Can't remember the make of trailer bike we had but the joint was so sloppy that it wobbled alarmingly and on one occasion as I set off at a junction the "whip" was so bad and unexpected that it actually threw him off into the road in front of the car behind us.

I did see one (again, can't remember the make) which had a much better design of joint with no slop.

Bicycle

I am a fan of Tag-along bikes.

My first child learned to ride the old-fashioned way. The second had some dyspraxia-related coordination difficulties and was finding it very tough. I had no idea about the dyspraxia at the time, but thought a tag-along might help.

It was wonderful. A gearless, cheapo model that's now been handed down several times.

It had just the desired effect on my son, who went quickly from a hesitant and fearful non-rider to a scourge of the local tarmac. He is now 15 and rides with gusto and skill.

My youngest used it too, but just because we had it.

Advantages:

It is a good way to teach riding in traffic. It's almost like a dual-control car.

It allows youngsters to climb and descend at speeds they wouldn't otherwise manage, so it somehow broadens horizons.

It allows a family to ride together where there is some disparity in age/ability.

You can chat.

On a flat road or mild descent, the child can propel you while you're not pedalling. This makes them feel superhuman!

They can learn to signal, look behind and similar withoiut the attendant fear of wobbling.

Caveats:

The trailer can bounce alarmingly over deep potholes. Avoid them, even if on an MTB.

You are very long and can pull away slowly. Allow for an extra gap when pulling out.

It's worth leaving attached the slightly twee hi-vis pennant. Drivers can be surprised to find a trailer behind a bicycle.

The ergonomics are not always 100%. Even though it's 'just a tag-along', do pay attention to saddle height, comfort and all that other gubbins. Mine had a silly handlebar, so I replaced it with an old one from an MTB.

I see many with gears, but when using one I rarely rode across a range of speeds that required them. I think there is much to be said for starting off without gars and moving gradually into them. Many will think otherwise, but clearly they are wrong and I am right.

Mine was always slung out behind an old nail of an MTB. I wouldn't tow one on anything too lighht or fancy as they put stresses on parts that they may not have been designed to take.

If you go off-road with a tag-along, be prepared for comedy moments. Your child will love it, but you might lose a shoe and maybe some dignity.

In a phrase: You won't go wrong buyoing a tag-along and won't regret it.

GeorgeS

Regular
Thanks so much for your responses already guys; the feedback is much appreciated!! keep it coming and hopefully i'll be able to work on a design that improves at least some of these flaws...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've got a six speed Trek tag-a-long that's great. My 8 yrear old uses it when she doesn't want to ride her bike (not as confident as bigger bro).

With the trail-gators, I think something easier to fit correctly (see to many fitted badly) would be good.

GeorgeS

Regular
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the replies already, much appreciated.

I am getting into the concept development stage of my project now and just had some questions relating to bags...

When using trailer bikes/trail-gator, do people tend to wear a rucksack to carry things for the day out etc?

If so, what kind of things would you normally put in there?

Do you feel this could hinder your movement and restrict being able to look over your shoulder to check your child?

I am considering adding some form of storage aspect to my design, possibly that then acts as a mud guard... any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Top Bottom