To the cyclist on the Itchen Bridge, 3pm today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
You're a prat mate. WTF you thought you were doing? Fair enough, you stuck (barely) you hand out to indicate your turn... BUT your immediate swing out from the cyclelane into the path of the Taxi behind you was wreckless and stupid. The taxi driver had to do an emergency stop and swerve to avoid hitting you, then when he politely said "are you trying to get yourself killed" you gave him a mouthful of obscenties, stuck your middle finger up at him and continued to ride like a c***

A man in his 40s should know better. The taxi driver behaved exemplary behind me later.

Arch

Married to Night Train
<ahem> reckless...

Yeah, there are some right idiots out there. I think making it obvious that you think they are idiots is a good idea - helps drivers see that we're not all the same...

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
<ahem> reckless...

Yeah, there are some right idiots out there. I think making it obvious that you think they are idiots is a good idea - helps drivers see that we're not all the same...

Although I didnt say anything out loud to the guy I think he saw me shaking my head and going "nutter" under my breath.

Often a quick comment to the driver is appropriate.

I had a similar incident on the A27 near Paulsgrove. Moron on BSO straight through a red light. The van driver was taken aback that I had inquired if he was alright, but his thank you was genuine.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Often a quick comment to the driver is appropriate.

I had a similar incident on the A27 near Paulsgrove. Moron on BSO straight through a red light. The van driver was taken aback that I had inquired if he was alright, but his thank you was genuine.

TBH I wish I had now.

Conversely the guy who rode behind me down Hill Lane yesterday was a proper gent. And me managed to keep up with me down there (perhaps due to the headwind, LOL)

Arch

Married to Night Train
I had a moment like this today. Stopped at a red light at a crossroads, a chap comes from the road to my left, and turns right into the road I'm on, cutting the corner so much that he's almost clipping the ahead to my left (or he may even have been coming off the pavement, my vision was limited). A taxi, coming from the right and turning left into the same road, had to brake to let him go.

I shook my head, and looked across at the taxi driver, who made a WTF? sort of shrug, so I did a 'what a wally' eyebrow flash and rueful smile. So at least that driver knows that even another cyclist thought the chap was an eijit.

Today was also, BTW, National Women with Long Hair Can Jump Red Lights Day, two of them this morning, sailed past without a care. Alas neither were going my way, so I had no chance to catch them up...

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I had a moment like this today. Stopped at a red light at a crossroads, a chap comes from the road to my left, and turns right into the road I'm on, cutting the corner so much that he's almost clipping the ahead to my left (or he may even have been coming off the pavement, my vision was limited). A taxi, coming from the right and turning left into the same road, had to brake to let him go.

I shook my head, and looked across at the taxi driver, who made a WTF? sort of shrug, so I did a 'what a wally' eyebrow flash and rueful smile. So at least that driver knows that even another cyclist thought the chap was an eijit.

Today was also, BTW, National Women with Long Hair Can Jump Red Lights Day, two of them this morning, sailed past without a care. Alas neither were going my way, so I had no chance to catch them up...

I havent noticed many dumbos on bikes today.I think the heat has killed off any stupid moves and even drivers are just chillin' out. (Small exception was a Polish driver this morning)

To me, this time of year it seems daft to press on through reds. Why they dont just stop and cool down, catch their breath and so on is beyond me. :biggrin:

nasserblue

I'll add mime. On the Bayswater Road most of us are stopped at a red light, and this bloke rides straight through us across the red light, while chatting on his mobile phone...

Un-effing-believeable.

I really wanted to say to him... "Please can you go and die on someone else's route..." ... said nothing though just shook my head in disbelief.

TheJollyJimLad

I like to catch people up that sail past me when I'm stopped at a red and go on the 'charm offensive'.

Simply turn to them and give a warm and enthuiastic 'Well done you!!'

There may also be a hint of sarcasm in the tone.

shippers

Did the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride in June. About 30 cyclists stopped at a red, and another one sailed past us all and straight through. He got a right load of abuse... Stopped at the next set though.

<ahem> reckless...

OT LOL it was a hot night last night and the car that pulled up next to the club run at a set of traffic lights had her window down and all she could mutter to her mate about was the one hybrid bike that went through on red/ green man; I don't think she even noticed the dozen bikes stopped next to her.

Mine yesterday shot onto the RAB - fair enough, it was clear to go at his momentum (I had just set off pedalling from the reds and didn't have the momentum to proceed before traffic already on the RAB). No problem with that, just the closeness of it, I felt the wind as he shot past inches away nad if I'd wobbled, or not clipped in right w/e we'd have both been in a mangled heap

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
[QUOTE 1137897"]
I had one on the way home today overtake me to close on my one mile commute.

There I was in a strong position on the road when the cyclist overtook but bottled it/didn't look behind him when he did because as he overtook me a car overtook him.

So he was effectively in my bit of space between me and the car - I was not amused.

Caught up with him a couple of seconds later and said

''Not sure if you are being funny or not but you don't overtake like that.''

''Charming'' was the reply which got a stare off me in return, as I watched him go off down the road different to mine and then ride on the pavement. If he does the same thing again I'll ride him into the kerb forcing him to stop. Then discuss the merits of checking behind you before overtaking and giving other road users enough room.
[/quote]

Somethings I'm always thinking of when I overtake another cyclist: is there space, is it worth me doing it (eg are they going to speed up suddenly), and make sure I get back in without cutting them off.

I failed to overtake another cyclist a couple of years back. I'd assumed that because of his age (near 60s I'd reckoned) that he'd dordle along. His acceleration was amazing and I had to apologise. The guy was a proper gent though.

ramses

Some cyclist really do give us a bad name.

The other day I had just got in from my cycle ride home, and had to pop out in the car.

I was in Bournemouth, and I was approaching a pedestrian crossing (with light system) and then a round about. I spotted what I would later call a F**king Idiot on his bike.
I moved over and gave him ample room as I approached the crossing, the lights turned red, I stopped, and so did the cyclist. However when we moved off he decided to cut right across the front of me and slow down
holding the middle of the road. I just sat shaking my head, and passed him by and up to the roundabout where I wanted to turn right.

Just to my right is a little island, and I look in my mirror the "F I" hops up on the Island, heads to the round about, bumps down, goes across the roundabout, causing one car to brake. Hops onto the roundabout, and then back off it on the other side and off down the next road on his merry way.

He didn't need to be in the right hand lane/ middle of the road,/ stroke island as he wasn't going right anyway.

You could see other drivers shouting at him and he just didn't give a s**t.

It's no wonder some drivers just label us all in the idiot bracket, even though I cycle sensibly.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Today's idiot didn't affect any drivers, but rode across a ped crossing (against the red man), through a line of stationary traffic and then swerved right, straight out into the road I was going down at a crossroads, having just started off on a green light, making me swerve to avoid him.

As I passed him, he did mutter sorry, so I just carried on past, and didn't engage him in conversation about his entirely missing rear brake (and no, it wasn't a fixie)...

Top Bottom