To the pedestrian who tried to force me into oncoming traffic on the London Road this morning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I was once skating at walking pace on the pavement, and had a pedestrian aggressively try to barge me into the railings. The difference being, of course, that it's legal to skate on the pavement in most places.

domtyler

Über Member
As has been mentioned, cycling on the pavement is a minor technical infringement if he was really cycling at walking pace. But attempting to force the cyclist off the pavement in to the path of an oncoming vehicle is an attempted assault at the very least.

PrettyboyTim

Actually, we've been told very little. All we know is that he was 'freewheeling slowly' on the pavement, but we don't really know whether it was walking speed or 10mph. We also know that the pedestrian tried to 'force him into the road', but there's no indication of whether he pushed him or just tried to block his route on the pavement. We also know that the pedestrian may have been bruised as a result, but other than that there's no mention of force.

ChrisKH

Guru
zimzum42 said:
What's wrong with 40mph roads?

I ride on dual carriageways, 70mph roads, no problem.

Get on the road.

Yea but you're well 'ard aren't you Zim. Not like some of us.;):smile:

OP
OP
T
I'm happy to RIDE on 40mph roads, just not to cross them twice in 300 metres when it's not necessary.

Mikey it's a different London Road.

Freewheeling at walking pace. There's ever-such-a-slight gradient there, so no need to pedal.

Ped deviated from his line to cross the full width of the pavement and tried to shove me into the road. Older gent, looked a bit like he hadn't quite fulfilled the promise and potential of his youth and was on the way to get the bus to some soul-destroying McJob in the crappy end of the service industry. Incoherently burbling about pavements and roads. I raised an arm to fend him off and clumped him on his shoulder. No closed fist, no full swing at him. I was pushed into the road into the oncoming traffic and had to manouevre pretty slippily to get out of the way.

Actually quite a nasty incident, especially given the ped's obvious aggression and willingness to provoke an unnecessary confrontation with a stranger.

Perhaps it's a good thing that I'm away on business next week.

Top Bottom