To the pedestrian who tried to force me into oncoming traffic on the London Road this morning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1)The pavement is 5 meters wide at that point: more than enough space for both of us, especially as there was no-one else on it at that point
2)I freewheel down it slowly, because otherwise I have to cross a 40mph limit road twice within 300 metres
3)I hope you have a nice bruise

;)

Edited for contrition: Yes I know that strictly speaking I shouldn't be on the pavement.

PrettyboyTim

Wait... so you assaulted a pedestrian to took offence to you cycling on the pavement?

bonj2

Hang on we don't actually know what violence if any occurred here. What actually was the cause of said bruise?

Membrane

I have no problem with anyone using facilities meant for others provided that they under no conditions cause a danger or hinder to the rightful users of that facility. By the sound of it that includes you.

A ped acting as a pedant copper by trying to force you off the path is obviously stupid, but that doesn't excuse your retaliation. You should have stopped.

Especially in busy cities we should strive to allow others some leeway, this benefits the overall flow of traffic. Strict adherence to the ROTR hinders it.

I do hope that you are consistent in your behaviour, i.e. by being tolerant of peds who behave on cycle facilities.

Cab

Its about proportionality really. Yeah, cycling on the pavement is a mistake, but trying to get someone to swerve off into oncoming traffic for doing so is way out of line.

If I encounter a pavement cyclist then I might not get out of their way, but I'll certainly not do anything to endanger them.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
What's wrong with 40mph roads?

I ride on dual carriageways, 70mph roads, no problem.

Get on the road.

gavintc

Guru
When I meet a pavement cyclist, I do not give way. I continue walking as if the bike did not exist. If the cyclist has to swerve to avoid me, that is his problem. Occasionally, this has forced the bike onto the road.

Top Bottom