To the Soloists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toroddf

Anthony said:
The only thing that I am worried about is that I'll be in Norway, so not many English speakers to chat with.

I am a Norwegian living in Scotland and my advice is that you will find it harder to understand people here than in Norway. We learn English from we are 9 years old, 3-6 hours a week. Not to mention from TV, music and online entertainment.

OP
OP
O

old donald

Some interesting thoughts I guess you just have to go with the flow. I am sort of with psmiffy in sentiment - I know if I waited for a cycling buddy it would be less likely to happen and I for one do not want to look back when I am really old and knackered and think about what might have been.

Everytime I have done a short tour on my own you are right in many respects, people do not perceive you as a threat and are genuinely interesting in your "adventure".

I think I will beef up the tech though and plan two weeks next year - see how that goes and then may be something bigger.

jay clock

Massive member
I have done 3 tours on my own now (after several with a mate). I am a very gregarious and outgoing person and surprisingly found being on my own ok. I take a netbook, because I love writing up my journals. I use the mobile to keep in touch with my family. I was a bit lonely a couple of nights in NZ, and I think camping makes that worse. For some reason, less so when stealth camping, as I camp later, and have less free time to fret. Having said that I met some lovely people to chat to in NZ, and in Spain cycled for 2 days with a Dutch guy.

As for eating on my own in restaurants, no problem at all. I travel a lot on business so am used to taking book or laptop for company.

All I need now is to be laid off to give me the excuse to go for a couple of months!

Journals here www.crazyguyonabike.com/julian

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
You do meet people when touring alone, perhaps easier than if there were two of you. The trouble is they tend to be gone the next morning & you can bet that the time you feel lonliest will be th etime nobody wants to talk to you and when you feel like some self time they will be lining up to chat to you.

My trips through Germany and down to the med had some very lonely moments but also I met som ewoinderful people.

kewb

like others ive done 4days alone in the scottish highlands and while the cycling was great the nights were very lonely after day 1 when the the novelty wore off ,
been on a few long hauls now and it doesnt get better met a few characters like the old man hiking camping with his gear in a shopping trolley like women take to shops ,red tartan thing, used his bus pass to get him to fory william and he just took his time lol well done him .

MarkF

Guru
I prefer cycling alone, I spend the rest of my life with friends and family, I enjoy my own company and cycling provides that opportunity. Stopping, starting and going where and when I want, is a bonus too.

TBH I don't get the restaurant thing, do you think people have some sort of instant interest in a lone diner? :angry:

MarkF said:
I prefer cycling alone, I spend the rest of my life with friends and family, I enjoy my own company and cycling provides that opportunity. Stopping, starting and going where and when I want, is a bonus too.

TBH I don't get the restaurant thing, do you think people have some sort of instant interest in a lone diner? :angry:

I do not get that either - on the rare times that I use restuarants I normally have my maps and book to attend to - also I am not that good with menus so I normally look round at what other people are eating and when I find something I like the look of ask them what it is - being the mad cyclist though does seem to get me good service

I think you must not expect other people to be sociable just because you have spent all day on your own - viz my experience with the NZ backpackers - they had probably spent all day on a tour bus crammed together and been shuttled on and off to see sights - need their space as well

aberal

Guru
MarkF said:
TBH I don't get the restaurant thing, do you think people have some sort of instant interest in a lone diner? :smile:

I used to feel a bit self conscious walking in to a restaurant on my own but twice as self conscious sitting waiting to be served. Got over the walking in bit through practice and taking a paper or book to read got over the sitting waiting thing.

Did a six-week trip with a mate four years ago, and had a solo six-week trip a few months ago and enjoyed both of them enormously!

Riding alone, though, was probably more enjoyable.

Alone doesn't equate to being lonely (not in my book, anyway) as I've always been able to mix easily.

The freedom of movement and decision-making with solo cycling makes it more appealing, but basically I'm equally happy either way! :smile:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I have spent seven weeks touring on my own in the UK and in France and never once felt lonely. I have the advantage of not looking like a native of France or the UK and so I become fly paper for the curious and I've had some great chats in English and French and have had folk ride with me for anything from an hour to a half day.

I've no problems with being a solo diner in restaurants and I'm happy with my own company. I'm not one for taking a cartload of electronics with me and usually settle for a mobile phone and a radio. I don't crave Internet access and I have no compulsiopn to take work with me.

I have enjoyed riding with others on tour but enjoy the total freedom of solo touring and not being accountable to anyone.

I'm off for a three week tour From St Malo, down to the Loire valley and over to orange in Provence this summer. I can't wait for the off.

HelenD123

Guru
One thing I forgot to mention, I found the silence in the evening hard to deal with. I usually came home from work and the radio went straight on. I invested in an iPod as soon as I got back from last summer's tour.

toroddf

My evening routine is pretty simple: Make sure that there is no rams or bulls in the near vicinity, pitch up tent, secure bike, arrange the tent and sort out my sleeping bag etc, a couple of glances on the surrounding area, arrange a pillow, set the alarm clock and then fall asleep.

I do cycling from dusk to dawn so the evening, night and early morning is only used to sleeping.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I prefer cycling alone mainly because i can do my own thing without having to upset anyone else.....plus i am the only one in my house daft enough to do silly mileage !

MarkF said:

TBH I don't get the restaurant thing, do you think people have some sort of instant interest in a lone diner? B)

Same here, I am happy to cycle alone, because I can be flexable with my daily plans, without having to negotiate with someone else. However, having done about 6 trips over 3 months in length across africa, asia and europe so far in my life, I also find when travelling by onesself one can be more involved with the people and fellow travellers one meets alone the route, whereas when I travel with my friends, we tend to become more self centered on our group.

Top Bottom