To the Soloists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Percy

I was away for around 10 months on my own a few years ago, around Eastern and Western Europe. I always intended to ride alone and never regretted it. It took a few weeks initially to get used to it - I think it was just a strange feeling, to be heading out into what was then an undetermined amount of time, but even then I never felt like I needed, or wanted, someone with me.

Restaurants/bars on my own did feel a little weird at first but not for long - as someone else said, no one is particularly interested in you so you just get used to getting on with whatever you're doing. I've spent many happy hours on my own in restaurants, bars, pubs, nightclubs, cafes etc. reading books and writing my journal...and, of course, chatting, playing pool, drinking and eating with the locals. I am of the feeling that such experiences would have been diluted by the presence of another person with me.

That's what a lot of people always ask me when they talk to me about it - the 'Didn't you want someone to share the experiences with?' question. Short answer is a definitie no. I am quite content that my memories of the trip are mine alone - the many things I took from the trip and the experiences I had - crossing the Pyrenees, getting chased by dogs in Portugal, making it across Greece to Turkey - all the thousands of things that made it what it was - I don't feel like 'I wish someone else had been there to see it with me,' rather, 'I did that on my own and I loved it.'

Having said that, everyone's different so I'm sure solo isn't the way for some people. Just try it out and see how you get on.

I rode for two days with a guy I met whilst riding through Spain and, after listening to him talk at me contstantly for 48 hours straight, I thankfully left him and vowed never to ride with another again!

Top Bottom