To wave or not to wave?

To wave or not to wave?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Put yer jar away, it's not one of those threads.

I was filtering through slow moving traffic this morning and a driver moved across slightly to let me pass. Now ordinarily I'd acknowledge this courtesy with a cheery wave, but previous to that, I'd been alongside the same car at a junction and had seen the driver typing on his phone as he was stationary, and as he pulled away. So should I have given him a cheery wave to say thanks for letting me past, or a dirty scowl for having been a naughty boy on his phone?

For those who like to judge based on the type of car being driven, it was a Ferrari.

I'd always wave to other cyclists. It's rude not too. Too many snobby cyclists in my opinion.

It seems to me it's those on the expensive carbons who don't wave. Miserable bunch. We're all cyclists so why wouldn't you wave?

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Lifes too short to be miserable, he eased over to let you through a quick nod or wave of acknowledgement costs nowt. It's not our job to decide whether he was in the wrong for using his mobile, the old bill can take care of that and at least he was stationary when he used the phone.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
It seems to me it's those on the expensive carbons who don't wave. Miserable bunch. We're all cyclists so why wouldn't you wave?

He is talking about waving a car driver. ;)

Oldfentiger

Veteran
It never ceases to amaze me, the number of people in expensive cars who use their phone with no handsfree.
Buy a blummin' bluetooth earpiece or summat. They're a whole 15 quid or so!!
As far as I'm concerned, using phone on handsfree is just about OK, but texting while driving should be a hanging offence.

And no - I wouldn't have waved, because firstly I would be apparently condoning his law-flouting habits, and secondly I would be jealous of his car (maybe).

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I bet you're one of those miserable cyclists who don't wave. Is it because you think your bike is better than mine??

I always wave at other cyclists as I know my bike is worse than everyone else's, but that I can go further and faster nonetheless.
I also wave at cars etc if they pass patiently and courteously.
I also shout and stick my fingers up if I am beeped, my space invaded or I witness dick head driving.

I think I got away with it, phew

Top Bottom