To wave or not to wave?

To wave or not to wave?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, if they weren't wearing hiviz in all likelihood I'd not see them anyway.
True dat.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Give him a wave, politeness costs nothing and adds a little bit to the sum of human happiness !

We need to know details - what model and colour of Ferrari ? These facts could make all the difference to our gut reaction ...

I guess red.
It was a noisy black one. FSM knows what model it was.

Lifes too short to be miserable, he eased over to let you through a quick nod or wave of acknowledgement costs nowt. It's not our job to decide whether he was in the wrong for using his mobile, the old bill can take care of that and at least he was stationary when he used the phone.
He was still typing on the phone when he moved off from the lights. However, prior to that he had driven with courtesy as he followed me off the roundabout. Where others often roar past me, he had held back and just cruised to the next junction.

sidevalve

Über Member
Positive reinforcement, he knows he did something friendly and gets an immediate wave he's likely to do it again.

You scowl at him for an indiscretion a couple of junctions earlier without any other context to it & he's likely to stereotype you as just another perma-angry cyclist.
True - like training a dog. It's no good doing the punishment long after the crime - it's too late, all you'll do is reinforce the "all cyclists are miserable twXts" idea

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Give him a wave. It will make him feel good and thus more likely to be courteous to cyclists in future.

Graham

Positive reinforcement, he knows he did something friendly and gets an immediate wave he's likely to do it again.

You scowl at him for an indiscretion a couple of junctions earlier without any other context to it & he's likely to stereotype you as just another perma-angry cyclist.
These of course are the actual correct answers :hello:

D

Deleted member 1258

Why do I get a strong sense of de-javu whilst I read this thread? Have we had a similar thread? It feels like I've read this before.

anyway back on topic, as others have said wave thanks, you never know he might remember and drive nicely around cyclists in the future.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
It seems to me it's those on the expensive carbons who don't wave. Miserable bunch. We're all cyclists so why wouldn't you wave?

Carbon is sooo last year, and waving is commonplace now. Ti is the new miserable non-waving cyclists society:laugh:

Anyway, I'd wave thanks if it was a red Ferrari, or yellow Lambo. Audi/BMW etc etc drivers get a different wave...

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Wave, because:
he probably does not consider he did wrong, would associate your "non wave/scowl" with the grumpy "I hate all drivers for no reason" cyclists.

PenttitheFinn

Carbon is sooo last year, and waving is commonplace now. Ti is the new miserable non-waving cyclists society:laugh:

Anyway, I'd wave thanks if it was a red Ferrari, or yellow Lambo. Audi/BMW etc etc drivers get a different wave...
Surely it depends on whether it is an SUV rather than the make..... said they guy who has a matching white with black wheels Spec Ruby and Skody Octy ;)

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
There was a time I remember when I was driving in a country lane when someone travelling at a swiftish speed started to move to his side of the road at a wider spot so we could pass each other - he gave a nice friendly wave with one hand ... this seemed like a nice gesture, until I realised that the other hand was not on the steering wheel, but holding a mobile phone to his ear. Hmm.

Top Bottom