Today I did a whoopsy...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamNichols

Fran's front derailleur has been playing up for a while. It hadn't been changing up to the big ring, although the other two were ok (yes, I ride a triple). I today tried to fix it myself, so donned my latex gloves and got the allen key out. i don't know what I did, but it's now in completely the wrong place and I can't fix it. I know that it's probably the most basic of all repairs, but I am going to have to run to my lbs for them to have a look at it, and hopefully mend it. More's the pity, I am going on holiday on Monday, and thus hope it is ready by then.

put the derailleur back to where it was and then adjust the limit screws that should get it up to the big one!:rolleyes:

domtyler

Über Member
Have a look on the Park tools web site and follow the instructions there, it's not too complicated.

Tynan

Veteran
can't it be tackled from the front barrel initially, same principle as the rear surely?

never tried it tbh

bonj2

turn the barrel adjuster anti-clockwise so it pulls more cable, just enough so that it will go on the big ring straight away every time. Then check it's not going too far, if it is turn the limit screw on the mech clockwise till it can only go just far enough. Then change it back to the middle ring and check the mech's in the right place, repeat till it's ok.

P.H

Über Member
SamNichols said:
Right, after hours of shouting, sweating and swearing, Fran is now fixed. It's all about beer and tools, people.

Good, now don't touch it again;)
There are only 4 adjustments on a front derailleur, height, angle, High stop and Low stop. Usage won't change these, if they're right now they'll always be right. The only exception is if it gets damaged or knocked out of place. All future adjustments should be to the cable only.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

I know that now, thanks to all of you for your help. The only reason why I touched any of them was because the initial set up was off. I believe that the set up was wrong as the angle was ever so slightly off. It's on now, and I've done it. I never wish to do it again, but at least I know how to do it now(basically just get the height and angle right then work from there). It's all a learning curve.

Top Bottom