Today I was a ped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jiggerypokery

Über Member
Living on a busy road an in a Victorian terrace means that Mrs JP and I have to park around the corner, bit of a bugger at the mo but nothing we can't live with.

Today however I was walking to the house from the car with baby carrier and baby in one hand and a couple of bags of shopping in the other, wobbling a long like Britains most pathetic strongest man, when I heard a 'ting ting ting' behind me and lo and behold was a bike on the pavement. 'Make some room mate', and I was so gobsmacked that I did just that.

But...what an utter fiddle stain, what a tosser, utter utter low life, were I to be given my time again I would have given him a right mouthful - but then again who knows...

As an aside has anyone seen the Jehova's Witnesses riding around all suited in pairs and always on the pavement - God's obviously not being their shield if they feel the need to hop on the pavement all the time!

Stu

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Hey, at least he let you know he was there, rather than just barrelling past with cms to spare.

Ben M

These days round where I am I see more pavement cyclists than I do cyclists on the road.

i'm just waiting for the time when one asks me to move over to let them past... The reply they'll get is "three's a road there for cycling, this here is a pavement for walking."

Hey, at least he let you know he was there, rather than just barrelling past with cms to spare.

Got to agree with that....Rare I get anything like that round here.

These days round where I am I see more pavement cyclists than I do cyclists on the road.

i'm just waiting for the time when one asks me to move over to let them past... The reply they'll get is "three's a road there for cycling, this here is a pavement for walking."

This comment strikes me a bit like the motorists comment..."You should be in the cycle lane".

That's a cunning put down though. ;)

ChrisKH

Guru
I uusally have half a mind to say something. For example last week a family of four; two young kids under 7 and Mum and Dad come along pavement and I've got three kids and a dog. I erred on the side of caution/politeness and got the kids to move out the way and held the dog tighter towards me. Whilst they said 'thanks' and clearly two of the riders were vulnerable, I do think the parents could have rode on the road alongside the (very narrow, walled one side) pavement with the kids on the pavement. The danger came from the adults not their kids.

Tynan

Veteran
me and the wife and our 11 and 5 year olds were all out yesterday and had a mile or two or pavement/road to ride at either end of a long stretch on the Lea Valley towpath

we did a few quiet back roads but otherwise were on the paths, with 14 stone of me on a road bike in the lead, although the kids are decent, the youngest is 5 and I wanted to handle any necessary negotiations with peds and other cyclists, it all went very well other than three herberts (one in a very comical, in the wrong way, stove pipe hat) walking three abreast along the towpath with a small dog that pretended not to hear me freewheeling behind them at walking pace dinging the bell

as long as it's all done safely and with consideration what's the problem? bikes are allowed on the pavement as far as I know

CotterPin

The other day I saw a man and a child cycling. The kid was on the pavement and he looked to be about six or seven. The man was riding on the road. Trouble was he was riding up the right hand side of the road!

I can see why people might cycle on the pavement - after all we have had many many years of it drummed into us that the roads are dangerous - witness the screams from adults when a child steps close to the kerb, you would think they were standing on the edge of a massive precipice. Now, more people are cycling but it will take a long time to undo the sense of fear people have of stepping into the roads.

Norm

The reply they'll get is "three's a road there for cycling, this here is a pavement for walking."
I like that. :thumbsup:

I do think the parents could have rode on the road alongside the (very narrow, walled one side) pavement with the kids on the pavement.
The problem, and it's something that I face myself, is that the adults then end up cycling in the road at 7mph, and that feels both vulnerable and inconsiderate to other road users.

Luckily, I only cover about 200 yards of main road and then I'm onto a housing estate or dedicated bike paths, so it hasn't been that much of an issue for me.

I've also got both kids now riding in the road rather than using the shared-use pavement anyway.

bikes are allowed on the pavement as far as I know
Bikes are only allowed if it is designated as a shared-use path, usually marked by circular blue signs.

May I relate an experience exactly the opposite of JP's?

Yesterday Mrs P and I were walking along the pavement, moderately busy road near our street, I look round and see cyclist coming up along pavement behind us. We're the only pedestrians nearby. I nudge Mrs, and we step aside to let her pass. Why have a confrontation for a relatively minor offence? But cyclist has other ideas, as she comes close she hops down via dropped kerb onto road, passes us and then re-mounts pavement via another dropped kerb.

As she passes us she pauses and humbly mutters "Sorry, I know, it's your path, I shouldn't be on it, sorry..." What can one say? All the will to deliver a stern rebuke is gone! So I mutter something in return: "Well, it's your decision, as it happens I always cycle on the road here." She answers "Oh no I can't do that, I don't like traffic".

Note: she says "I don't like", not "I'm afraid of". Important distinction maybe. Assuming our ultimate aim is for all cyclists to be fully law-abiding, there's indeed work to be done here; but it's clearly different work for different people.

Just got back from my cycle trip to the town. Yes I do ride on the pavement in one area, as it is safer than doing two right hand road crossings. When I meet peds head on I give way, When I catch up with peds from behind I use the voice or whistle to warn of my approach and if they give way I make a point of slowing down and thanking them as I pass and if they have a dog and I have the time I fuss with the dog. This is not because I am any sort of goody two shoes but it can save future hassle. Strangly enough the dog people and those with prams seem to like this while those on their own or with a partner often glare back, rarly reply and are some times down right rude.

JoysOfSight

For example last week a family of four; two young kids under 7 and Mum and Dad come along pavement ... The danger came from the adults not their kids.

Without knowing anything about the particular incident, this statement doesn't make much sense to me. At any given speed / situation, there's more danger from an adult with all the skill and experience they possess, than from a child with hardly any control of their bike? Really?

If I was walking along the pavement with my kids I'd be more worried about them getting a faceful of bullhorn from junior than the parent!

Not since I was 9 no, except for places where it is a cycle path. Like I said, the road is for cycling on, the pavement is for walking on. That's why the term is "road-ie" not "pavement cycling menace-ie" ;)

But how can this be, when the only difference between cycle path and pavement is the ticking of a box at council HQ?

At my old work I was endlessly irritated by cyclists going round the narrow (2ft wide) pavement at the gyratory. There wasn't even enough room to walk side by side, never mind with people cycling both ways. Then when I had a rant about it at work I discovered that it was an actual bonafide legal cycle path!

That was me told - they were all totally legit. Except for the bit after you are supposed to rejoin the carriageway, which was both unsigned (so a non-local would just keep riding along the pavement) and much wider than the "legal" cycle path part (so it made more sense to ride along it anyway).

If there was a time of clear division between riding on the pavement and the road, it's long dead now.

Not since I was 9 no, except for places where it is a cycle path. Like I said, the road is for cycling on, the pavement is for walking on. That's why the term is "road-ie" not "pavement cycling menace-ie" ;)

Same here....err perhaps that's a lie although I don't now since the elite squad on here made me realise how wrong it was...oh and I also did quite blatantly in Japan. :whistle:

Strangely enough I was a ped today and heard a noise behind me and fearing the worst I looked behind,but it was only some kid cycling up the pavement with what I guess was a dodgy pedal...so I dived out of the way to a position to which I thought he would not go to...and he cycled on his merry way...I was looking at him as he cycled away thinking it probably wasn't a good idea of him cycling in the road because he looked too young...Cycling on the roads now is different to when I started doing it in the 1970's and probably more dangerous.(I didn't want to say that)

Top Bottom