Today I was a ped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm sure that some pedantic buffoon can come up with instances where you can cycle on pavements (crossing them to get to into your driveway, for instance) but I think those are the generalisations.

Without wishing to label myself a pedantic buffoon....

I seem to remember reading somewhere recently (CTC magazine perhaps), that although the law specifically allows a motor vehicle to cross the pavement to enter a driveway, it doesn't (by an act of omission) apply to all vehicles, and that therefore cycling across the pavement to enter your drive is technically as illegal as riding along the pavement.

Although if that's true, I'd love to know how many people, professional law mongers or otherwise, know it.

Maz

Guru
Until you get caught.
Don't make me laugh, please.

brokenbetty

Über Member
But how can this be, when the only difference between cycle path and pavement is the ticking of a box at council HQ?

Because it's not about the road per se, it's about what other people on that bit of tarmac expect. On a shared path? Best expect cycles. On a pavement? Don't expect cycles. Simples - until some selfish b*stard thinks their convenience matters more than yours.

Top Bottom